Tip: Working with a cold ball vice

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
Maybe Im the only one. But I keep my setup in the upstairs of our house. We dont heat the upstairs 24/7 like the rest of the house. So when I start engraving early mornings in the winter my ball vice is the last thing to warm up and my hands get frozen stiff. So after trying a few things (including trying to remember to take the vice downstairs at night) I found the simplest solution. Wrap a shop towel around it and fasten it with a 2 bread ties linked to make a large bread tie. The ball vice is still easy to use and spins freely. Now you dont have to touch the cold surface Just a friendly reminder to keep your digits warm ;)

mrthe

haha i have the same peoblem , i should use gloves without fingers, but good tip ;)

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
My solution has always been to plug an electric heating pad into a timer. There are usually 3 settings on the heating pad. The lowest temperature works just fine.

Set it to start heating a couple hours before you plan to be using the ball vise.

Been using the same setup for 20 + winters. It's getting pretty ragged looking and got metal chips stuck all over the fuzzy cover. May be time to send it in to the refiners and get a new one?

Brian

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Don't you just want to hug it?

My back room gets fairly cold also. I don't mind working in a cool environment, but the fingers get stiff sometimes.

I have considered a radiant heater or an infrared bulb just to heat all the tools shortly before I start working. Has anyone tried this solution?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I installed a small nuclear reactor in the center of the ball to warm it up....
Seriously, I just used a 100 watt bulb and it worked well if you can still buy them. Since then I have a programmable thermostat and just do a couple things before I start engraving for the day. The heat pad sounds like a good idea too!

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm with Brian on this one,

An electric back heater at the Goodwill will cost about $2, is only 25 watts, and three heat level switch. I say lowest setting, leave it on all the time you are not there, and stick an old tea pot cosie over the lot ( oh, wait a minute, you only get them in tea drinking countries) for insulation.

Warning, do not put too much insulation around a back heater or any small electric element. The tiniest electric anything totally insulated 100% will eventually rival Rex's nuclear reactor. Happiness is a warm ball vise, in the early mornin' rain. No that's not right, I'm mixing my songs again.

Rod

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i didn't get as fancy as Rex, i just had the main ball of mine turned from plutonium. The heat produced by the deceleration of the decaying alpha particles make it warm to the touch. And heck, i'm 51 yrs old and don't want kids anyway...

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
I warm mine with a heat gun....once its warm I don't have any problems keeping it warm as my shop heats up and I use the ball. Then I use it on my feet! :) makes for toasty toes!

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Found the answer on ebay a simple way for all you american folk to keep your balls warm: Fashion Duplex Printing Pet Thermostat Heating Pad Warm Electric Blanket only about $3.00 and it will keep your Puss warm as well:biggrin:
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors