Thieves visited me in my shop once again

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Most of you probably remember my tread I posted two years ago when you made me cry with all your support.

Now my shop is just in front of the police office, but that doesn't help me much it seems.

This morning when I went to my shop, another nightmare started, as once again thieves tried to get into my shop.... but they couldn't get in because they were stupid ones.
So sure I'm thankful for that and sure I learned from the previous robbery, but still it doesn't do me any good.

And I don’t think I will live long enough to see it changed the way it was when I was a kid when all the bad guys at least respected some rules.
I think it is about the world wide crisis and at the same time, crime pays and it is easy!

I know this ain't about engraving, but writing about it and posting it in the cafe helped me emotional, that is why I have to let you know.

But remember, There is no damage

arnaud

Andrew Biggs

That's a real bummer Arnaud and I'm sorry to hear it.

I guess the good part is that at least nothing was taken. But it still kicks you about and rocks your world for quite some time.

Cheers
Andrew

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud
We have a saying here in the USA, when seconds count the police are minutes away. Glad you had no loss this time. And before someone takes offense I spent 10 years as a peace officer

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm a former police officer too and I often say the same thing especially in reference to one's own personal safety.

Arnaud,

Often police stations have cameras recording what happens outside their station. I wonder if the cops across the street have cameras that recorded the attempted break in.

I'm very pleased to hear that the thieves were unsuccessful and that your previous experience prepared you for this one.

Cheers,
Roger

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
You have alarm systems? A main one and a backup? Audible for a block or so?

Dogs (even just recordings of dogs), traps, electric shock "therapy", sonic deterents, and various fireworks all come to mind.

You're a smart man Arnaud, have some fun with these guys!

Just be sure YOU don't trip them yourself. I've scared the bejeezus outta myself more'n once... works better'n morning coffee to get amped up for the day.

Long as you don't have to go change pants...

B.

Maybe send a box of donuts (or your equivalent pastry) across the street on a regular basis? (Unless maybe it's them doin' it?)

Last edited:

Lane

A camera system that uploads the video online, maybe an alarm system also to wake the police up.

gantzi

Arnaud, I was very sorry to hear that there was another attempt to break into your shop. There are some bad people.
Luckily, nothing was stollen.

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Arnoud,

Ik ben blij voor je dat het deze keer met een sisser is afgelopen. Dit soort lui, dat andermans levens zo overhoop trekken, zijn het licht in hun ogen niet waard. Misschien is het inderdaad een idee om een doos koekjes aan de overkant aan te bieden. Al was het maar dat ze dan naar je uitkijken en je kennen.
Sterkte voor jou en je naasten de komende tijd om het maar weer te moeten en kunnen verwerken.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud sad new again but as you said no damage then again if you weren't so famous and skilled at what you do, showing us those nice pieces you make and just had a little sh_ty shop in a run down area in a back street they may leave you alone :rolleyes:as for security I can give you my first wife address hire her to stay in the shop at night much better than a rottweiler with rabies if you know what I mean :biggrin:
Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sorry to hear of the attempted break-in, Arnaud. That has to be very upsetting and emotionally draining, especially since it's the second time your shop has been violated. These thieves are particularly brazen, doing this directly in front of the police building across the street.

How much damage was done?

~Sam

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All of the advice in the world can't help the past, and I know we will always have bad people doing bad things, but take heart in the fact that nothing was taken, and you are all right. I pray for this person's arrest and conviction and long, long, long incarceration!

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thieves!

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glad to see they were unsuccessful. I have lost all faith in our local police. I won't even report crimes anymore unless insurance requires it. They don't do anything accept collect a paycheck. I hope your police are better than ours.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you all willing to share my emotions on this; sure it helps me a lot to get back on track again. Sure now I have some new emotional scars. Good thing they couldn’t get in and even if they could have, there wasn’t much of value to steal from me except the tools.

Sorry I didn’t reply earlier, sure I read your replies but I wasn’t in the mood answering till now.
I installed a IP cam today, and I have some other ideas how to feel a bit safer although Its my idea that no matter how much “safety tricks” you invest in, it always is bit of an “illusion safety”. I will also install sort of “smoke bomb” that isn’t that expletive and probably effective.
Other advices I got from others who have the same experience than me, is not covering the windows, but instead having some light on so thieves can see the shop: studio is empty. Also truckers do that with their truck when it is empty and parked.

Andrew, yes that is what it does, the emotional damage is the worst.

Gary, indeed it is a shame, but thinking about it a few days I think it is from all age, some people get civilised, others don’t.

Dave, my dad too was a police inspector and during his career the police office was opened 24 hours a day, now they close the office in front of my shop in the weekend and after dark.
When I crossed the street that morning telling the police man sitting at his desk that there was an attempt trying to get in my shop, he replied telling me he wasn’t allowed to leave his desk. When I said that another police man was good enough, he replied they all were busy.
So I got agree at him telling him that he would be in the newspaper the next day titling: “Jeweller in front of the Police office couldn’t get help after thieves tried to rob him”

Roger, over here there are no cameras in the street, not even the police office.

Brian, your plan B., That is what I do, but they have new cops all the time, by the time they know who you are, then they are gone.

Lane, over here you can’t wake up the Police.

Ray, yes me too I think a big dog sure helps.

Sam, the damage is not that much, and it is the house owner who is responsible for the outside. Here are some photos of the damage.

Ed, yes the day one will have to pay for what was done wrong to other human always comes around.

Doc, yes that could work.

arnaud

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well at least you know where you stand/ sit with the local authorities , not much different here if that makes you feel better . Stay safe check six
Endeavor to persevere