The Elephant Thread...

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Words of Wisdom #1

It is the month of June, on the shores of the Irish Sea. It is raining, and the little town looks totally deserted. It is tough times, everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit.

Suddenly, a rich tourist comes to town.

He enters the only hotel, lays a 100 Euro note on the reception counter, and goes to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one.

The hotel proprietor takes the 100 Euro note and runs to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the 100 Euro note, and runs to pay his debt to the pig grower.

The pig grower takes the 100 Euro note, and runs to pay his debt to the supplier of his feed and fuel.

The supplier of feed and fuel takes the 100 Euro note and runs to pay his debt to the town's prostitute who in these hard times, gave her "services" on credit.

The hooker runs to the hotel, and pays off her debt with the 100 Euro note to the hotel proprietor to pay for the rooms that she rented when she brought her clients there.

The hotel proprietor then lays the 100 Euro note back on the counter so that the rich tourist will not suspect anything.

At that moment, the rich tourist comes down after inspecting the rooms, and takes his 100 Euro note, after saying that he did not like any of the rooms, and leaves town.

No one earned anything. However, the whole town is now without debt, and looks to the future with a lot of optimism.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how business works. One only needs to find a rich patron once in a while.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Words of Wisdom #2 Advice from an old Farmer

* Your fences need to be horse-high, pig-tight and bull-strong. *

*Keep skunks and bankers at a distance.*

*Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.*

* A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.*

* Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled.*

* Meanness don't jes' happen overnight.*

* Forgive your enemies. It messes up their heads.*

* Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you.*

* It don't take a very big person to carry a grudge.*

* You cannot unsay a cruel word.*

* Every path has a few puddles.*

* When you wallow with pigs, expect to get dirty.*

* The best sermons are lived, not preached.

* Most of the stuff people worry about ain't never gonna happen anyway.*

* Don't judge folks by their relatives.*

* Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.*

* Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.*

* Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none.*

* Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a Rain dance.*

* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.*

* Sometimes you get, and sometimes you get got.*

* The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.*

* Always drink upstream from the herd.*

* Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.*

* Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back in.*

* If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.*

* Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply.*
*Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.*

*Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had prepared a post on 'Word' when I thought this thread was about how does one survive in business under present economic conditions. So, I'm going to leave that in 'Word'.
I've got lots of political and financial 'rants' none which will serve any purpose so . . .

Simply put, I've been doing what I do for the past thirty years being a self employed lapidary/goldsmith, never working for anyone else; and to do good work. It's allowed me to be agile and adaptable.
Kevin P.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
"I support Obama FAR more than his predessor...but I have no desire to discuss politics."

You have just 'discussed politics', Peter.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had prepared a post on 'Word' when I thought this thread was about how does one survive in business under present economic conditions. I've got lots of political and financial 'rants' none which will serve any purpose so
Kevin,
Good choice. There is nothing that kills a thread faster than when some wingnut decides he has to interject his/her personal political or religious beliefs into a thread.

This one is about surviving in today's economy, not the causal effects of why the economy is what it is. One need only to study history to understand that. All great societies wax and wane....some survive and some disappear.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"I support Obama FAR more than his predessor...but I have no desire to discuss politics."

You have just 'discussed politics', Peter.

Sorry Gail. Of course you are right, I perhaps SHOULD have said "to continue in a political discussion" and as Forest so aptly stated "and that's all I have to say about that":big grin:

Regards!

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, these things help clear the air sometimes and no blood has been draw.
Perhaps we're a little smarter and a little more polite than before.
Kevin P.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Kevin

The short answer to that is............no.

The real beauty of this forum is we don't allow political discussions for very good reasons. They always get out of hand and then Either Sam, Tira or myself have to spend our time mopping up the mess. There are plenty of forums out there that cater for that type of debate. This type of thing has been the downfall of many a forum.

Clearing the air serves no purpose on the forum. It helps no-one, solves nothing, enlightens no-one......... and all it does is generate ill feeling. And that is not what this forum is about.

The other reason is that I'm not really interested in anyone else's political points of view...................and they are not interested in mine. At the end of the day, who cares?? There are far more enlightening and uplifting topics to discuss.

Cheers
Andrew

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
I did not have strong feelings about the "political discusion" in this thread, but after reading Andrew Biggs post I strongly agree with him. His response makes perfect sense and was very well said. Thanks Andrew. Kevin Scott

j.c.

how the depression/recession/escalating metal prices have affected you - and what you are doing to save your @$$...

This was the original premise of the thread.

All good threads will eventually veer off track at some point.

Instead of having the old Salem “burn the witchâ€￾ syndrome, by taking the time to ask to have an interesting thread locked, why not simply use that time to re-direct the thread to its original intent?

Compounding the problem by explaining, threatening and apologizing for a thread going astray is a waste of time and potentially stops anyone from carrying the thread further.

Regarding the discussion of political views, I do agree this is not the place, however as much as it may not be liked, the fact is, the economy and politics do go hand in hand.

That being said, if one means to keep making a living engraving in the current economy, new ideas, new thoughts, and new approaches are necessary.

Plan accordingly!

j.c.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for your comments, Andrew.

Until I became a forum Administrator I had no idea how things like tool arguments, politics, and religion could wreak such havoc on a forum community. It's only by experience of 'mopping up the messes' as Andrew puts it, do we learn what to allow and what to restrict. As I've said many times before, we are not perfect and we'll disappoint some of you some of the time. We're accused of being unfair, blah blah blah. Politics and snarky comments are not welcome here, and I very much appreciate everyone's consideration and understanding.

~Sam

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i just noticed how much you've come to resemble Lenin. the bald head, the goatee, the violent suppression of dissent...

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
i just noticed how much you've come to resemble Lenin. the bald head, the goatee, the violent suppression of dissent...

Andrew: I'd like Mitch drawn and quartered and fed to the buzzards. Can you see to that, please?

Thanks / ~Sam

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, I don't recall asking a question. Perhaps it was another 'Kevin'.
If the question you're replying to were quoted It would eliminate confusion.
Kevin P

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
LOL!!! Time now for Comedy Central's Cafe Roast of our Benevolent Dictator. Couldn't reisist LOL!!!

... we learn what to allow and what to restrict.

~Sam

"It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed." -- Vladimir Lenin

Now I don't care who ya are, that right there's funny ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors