The Elephant Thread...

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My situation is probably very different than most, as I spent 30 years working in IT until my job was outsourced, as hundreds of thousands of others, to satisfy the PURE avarice by those that control corporate America.

Being in my mid 50's and having little to no chance of finding work in that field, my financial "security" and health benefits are also in a precarious state.

I will not delve into the specifics, as my viewpoints are FAR more radical than most of you want to hear, but in my opinion the REAL "elephant" in the corner, is a government that is predominantly concerned with THEIR life of luxury and leisure at the expense of taxpayers, and the business powers that buy the legislators through lobbyists, resulting in 1% of the population controlling 95% of the wealth!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hey, Peter-
when legislation is up for sale, the first things bought & sold are legislators...

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Peter, I know we're on the same page and if we did get into specifics, most would have no idea what we were talking about then Sam would have to shut down the thread :)

Screw Gordon Liddy .... don't buy gold. Roll that 401K straight into a tangeable asset that ALWAYS goes up in value .... AMMO :big grin:

by the way .... the Census lady just left here .... only 47,999,999 more houses to go LOL!!!! I asked her if the guys in the black ninja turtle suits in Chevy Suburbans were waiting up the road in case I were "uncooperative". Luckily she's got the same "odd" sense of humor ....

----------

crap .... I just posted on Brian Marshall's thread. LOL!!

Last edited:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is the internet of much use in getting jewelry jobs or selling your items?

It's been my experience that it helps ... a little. Most places would prefer to keep the work local rather than send it off to New York or wherever. I usually take a day here and there to personally pick up and drop off work to the volume customers I have in the higher dollar areas of Charleston.

As far as super local business .... jewelry engraving is entirely dependent on your proximity to "wealth". If you live out the biscuits and gravy sticks like I do, best you go to where the money is or diversify.

Due to the price of gold ... everything is taking a hit and jewelry engraving is getting slammed hard. In the beginning, I diversified into anything that could be engraved only because I didn't know what I wanted to specialize in. That strategy has literally saved me in the difficult times even though I sometimes wonder how far along I might be if I had just focused on one type of engraving.

The trick to getting through something like this is to KEEP ENGRAVING. When times are good, fill the safe with items of VALUE which will appreciate whether you engrave them or not. When times get tough and phone doesn't ring, break out those items and add value to them by engraving them.

I kinda feel bad for the folks who are now just getting into this and dropping a ton o' bucks on tools n' schools .... the learning curve is high and economy is not being kind to even those with experience. 99% will give up if their intentions are to make more than just supplement retirement or other fixed income.

Chris

-------------

Mitch .... my apologies for not repsonding to you on the "master" thread. I fully intended to but just couldn't "seriously" follow that discussion any longer.

crap .... I just posted on Brian Marshall's thread again!!! :beat up:

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Fresh start

OK, got a few more minutes...

Went out on my afternoon training ride along the valley levees - thinking some more about solutions for the present downturn in income and ways to replace it.

It’s time to reinvent what I’ve been doing and enter a “new” niche market. No, I’m not gonna say what the niche market it is until I have actually entered it – or learned that that particular market is not destined be my solution.

Lots of research to do in the next few weeks. I would like to have it up and running – or not – as the case might be, in time for the Christmas season. It will probably be done in two parts, both related. I already have all of the materials, components, and equipment to make it happen. I can have the drawings done and prototypes ready in about a month…

So what are ya’all doing to survive/fix/improve things? Not “New Years Resolutions” kinda things that may never come to be – what have you DONE or are in the process of doing?

Anyone starting out or in the middle of adding new skills, taking computer related classes, business related classes?

Are the guys who formerly specialized in guns or knives now cutting more jewelry? Are the jewelry guys cutting whatever comes across the bench - jewelry or not?

After Blade Show, can someone who goes regularly tell us how it went? Are things up or down in those markets compared to years past?

PeteB - The short answer is that just setting up a website yourself without any experience is not likely make a noticeable difference. Can't hurt you either...

I get work from clients who have websites. I notice the difference in quantity from the companies with the better designed websites. (Their products are very similar) Those with larger orders have used professional help. Based on that, and some of their recommendations to me - I plan to do the same.

PeterE - I feel exactly the same. I am working to change what I can and preparing for worse things to come.

Mitch - That is precisely the reason that the government can never get rid of cash entirely. The politicians will never let it happen... because, well... they need cash:)

Mr. Malouf - My abject apologies for tricking you into posting...

Brian

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." ~~~ George Eliot

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ChrisM - We do seem to have very similar viewpoints on things. Ammo WOULD have been a wise investment, as it has about doubled in price sinse Obama got elected:mad:

Brian M - what I have been doing to cope with the economic times is similar to you in many respects. Cutting my living expenses wherever possible/practical.

Since my IT job ended, and there was slim to no chance of finding another, I decided to get by with less $$$ and a better quality of life, was the right choice for my sanity. I took some classes to acquire some metalcraft skills, and classes to learn engraving. I figured at the LEAST, I would be able to enhance the value of my own collection of knives, and on the upside, have a business to enhance my financial situation.

Also, I have read books such as Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth" to try to ignore such things as the aforementioned political climate, and be thankful for what I DO have in life, as basic as food to eat, and being able to enjoy each day knowing it could be my last:beat up:

Mitch - "when legislation is up for sale, the first things bought & sold are legislators..." ain't that the truth:big grin:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
< No, I’m not gonna say what the niche market it is until I have actually entered it

Atta boy "Mr. Marshall" ......... LOL!!! I still love ya pal .... predictability is a great quality Soooo we help you help yourself and in return we get nada, zilch, zero?>

Mr. Malouf - Again, my apologies. Regarding predictability, I seem to have tricked you into posting twice now... Should you be considering becoming a regular contributor to this thread, can we expect forthcoming constructive contributions or just more of the above?

What anyone chooses to reveal at any time is entirely up to them. In this particular case I would find it slightly embarrassing because I worked this niche some 20 years ago. In actuality I will be "re-entering" that market. I see now that I made some ummm, mistakes. If correcting those mistakes leads to some success - and I can see that someone might learn something from this particular example - I may decide to post about what those mistakes were.

I don't believe that you or anyone else directly helped/participated in my moment of illumination, and I myself had no clue until I turned onto the levee road where it took place... I was alone, and I had planned an entirely different route when I left the house.

Unless of course, you were able to influence the direction of my thoughts telepathically? - in which case I will offer my gratitude when the endeavor succeeds. Were you also expecting a percentage of the profits for your guidance?

Brian

Last edited:

ARM

Elite Cafe Member
To add to that, Some of my knife purveyor friends have told me that they have noticed the mid range market has just about dried up for them. The real high end pieces are still doing well and the low end market is still healthy but they are having a hard time moving pieces in the mid range.

Ray
RAY
Don't U sleep ???
We are into Wednesday at 6h30 whilst U are at around Elevenish ???
Very interested in what Your Purveyor friend says.
What would be his mid-range market ???
Would that be around US $ 500 to say US $ 750.00 ???
Need to know as my engraved pieces are around those figures.
Better for me to omit the fancy Scrimm and Engraving which is shopped out at present anyway.
Thanks and
take care
aRM

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my biz is now, as it has always been- totally un predictable. sometimes very good, sometimes, good, sometimes slow. but when slow, usually for only short periods. but the only reason i survive at all- is diversification. prostitution, if you will. i will do most anything for a buck. pantograph, computer rotary, laser, hand engraving, carved wood signs, carved stone. yuck ! i can even be forced into doing plotter-cut vinyl signs now & then. luckily, being home-based, i can carefully control overhead and keep it to an absolute minimum.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi ARM,

I'm pulling a late one to get a job done. Such is life before the Blade Show.

I would put the numbers like this in the custom knife market:

Under $1,000 is that low range that is doing OK

$1,000 - $3,500 midrange is very slow

The $3,500 + higher end range is doing well. The upper end of that seems to be doing very well.

Most of the engraving jobs I have done on knives this year have been in the $3,500 to$6,000 range and I have plenty of work in that price range right now.

Back to the gravers,

Ray

Andrew Biggs

Good times or bad times certain rules always follow you around.

Those with too high a debt/income ratio and when times get tough they are the first to fall over. That applies to individuals and business alike. To fast a growth can also lead to a fall because you have to borrow to keep up the growth rate. When the market stops or goes backwards the same debt/income ratio thing kicks in.

Nothing like a recession to make everyone look at their spending habits and we all are guilty of squandering the good times and feeling the pinch in poor times. Good times make us complacent which is only human nature. After the slave revolt led by Spartacus, the Roman empire went into a recession as something like 80,000 fled or were killed so the Romans had to tend their own fields. Caesar brought them out of that recession by invading Gaul..............so not a lot changes really and it all comes in cycles. :)

Yes, we should always look at upskilling ourselves and learning new things. The same with new ventures and new markets. The harder you look, the harder they are to find.............what catches you, as in Brian's experience, is something that just happens out of the corner of your eye. A glimpse of an idea, a serendipitous moment................Those are always the best opportunities and if acted upon can be very rewarding.

The very best thing you can do is stop reading all the doom and gloom and fear that is out there....and there's plenty of it. Switch it all off because all that fear permeates into your soul and immobilizes you.The politicians and bankers will do what they want to do and you can rail against them as much as you like, but it won't change anything........................Concentrate on your own back yard and what you do. Celebrate what you have and concentrate on that and good things will follow. Everything is temporary and things will change again.

Kia kaha, Kia kaha (Be strong, be strong)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are VERY perceptive and pragmatic Andrew. Must be from having been a long time, self employed, businessman.

Good post and good philosophy.:thumbs up:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
just more of the above?

Yep. But what more can one add .... if you're not prepared, or at least somewhat established with your skills, diversified and like Andrew says ... living reasonably with your means then you could be in a soup line somewhere. I think I covered some of that. Nothing is recession proof and nothing is guaranteed ... that's business 101 and also applies to everything in life. Certainly not the answer many folks like to hear especially in this world of "entitlement" that has been created around us.

Regarding predictability,

Kinda like the lifetime supply of Epson Transparencies you mentioned to the forum you had stashed but, of course, were unwilling to help out any fellow engravers by selling some. Too bad the bottom fell out of that market.

I am always more than willing to help a fellow engraver in need or any organization which I feel betters the engraving community. There are, however, many posers who siphon off the good will of others in order to line their own pockets .... so, I do understand your "apprehension" to declare this niche market.

I bid you good day "Mr. Marshall" ... I sincerely hope you redefine yourself and prosper before the world ends in 2012 ... :) Most of all, I sincerely hope we can put last year's "PM" conversation behind us. It really was nothing more than a mis-communication and it seems to have evolved into a small grudge that has gone on too long. Take care.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, i guess when the cash is crashing thru the door, there's precious little time to philosifize. in addition to the skills andrew has as an engraver, i believe he has a mentality that sort of preempts the need for prozac, vallium, and a host of other chemical "interventions" we humans seem to need.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Ammo WOULD have been a wise investment, as it has about doubled in price sinse Obama got elected

Alot of what's being discussed here are things I've noticed since the election.
Along with the elephant, I notice a new emporer...and he IS naked.

...and that's the view from here...

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Alot of what's being discussed here are things I've noticed since the election.
Along with the elephant, I notice a new emporer...and he IS naked.

...and that's the view from here...

I support Obama FAR more than his predessor...but I have no desire to discuss politics.

It is just a cause and effect that a Democrat was elected so the price of ammo has risen....I can't imagine why:shock:

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Wish there was one I could support, I hate them all equally, maybe I hated Obamas predesessor more. Yeah, I vote but I don't think I've ever voted for one that won.It's just that I've seen more blatant disregard for the Constitution and self-serving dealings than ever. Someone recently told me about his friend,who got his legs shot off in Viet Nam receiving a letter from Soc. Sec. telling him he's no longer disabled...go figger

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wish there was one I could support, I hate them all equally, maybe I hated Obamas predesessor more. Yeah, I vote but I don't think I've ever voted for one that won.It's just that I've seen more blatant disregard for the Constitution and self-serving dealings than ever. Someone recently told me about his friend,who got his legs shot off in Viet Nam receiving a letter from Soc. Sec. telling him he's no longer disabled...go figger

I think those feelings are shared by MUCH of the "working class" population Dave.

I struggle constantly in disgust with government, which is why I have been TRYING to adapt Mr. Biggs philosophy....but it is DIFFICULT to ignore what greedy, self serving government, has done to our country...and the world for that matter.

That is why it is best to try and focus on more constructive, positive topics:yes

Latest posts

Sponsors