The Arctic Sharps

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On june 19, 1878 a group headed by a US Cavalry Officer, Lieutenant Schwatka, left New York headed north in an attempt to locate the records of the Franklin party of 1845.
C.Sharps Arms Co. donated two Rifles to the Schwatka expedition .
This piece is inspired by that journey.
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archiv...FDA143EE73BBC4952DFB0668383669FDE&oref=slogin

I just finished this job, its a Gemmer by the C.Sharps arms Factory. The stock was done by Don Franklin, and I believe most of the rest was done by Joe Seeley.
Lee Helgeland did the disassembly for me, here is a pic with Jerry Fisher checking it out-"no hair on this" was his comment.
and a pic with lee and I , Lee disassembling the piece, and the parts laid out for engraving.
When its done, it all goes back to the Factory for finishing.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The procedure was as follows: I took the drawing, reduced it on the photocopier to the size of the lockplate, and transfered it on. That was mainly to locate the scene. I then erased the transfered scroll with acetone on a qtip and redrew the scroll lines. This keeps me from doing anything too stupid. I then freehand the leaves as I cut.
How much layout I use depends on the style of the scroll, and the shape of the leaves, this style I know well enough I dont have to fill in much, as I can see it in my mind as I cut.
I look at my drawing and count how many leaves are in a certain area of the scroll, and put in that many. There are really only three kinds of leaf elements I am using here, so I put them together in my mind to fill the space.
Some people might view this as risky, but I have found as long as I am familiar with the style of scroll I am using, it allows more creativity than slavishly following a transfered layout.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Barry

Fabulous work and a wonderful story. I've enjoyed watching the progress from start to finish and the excellent photos.

Is there any chance that the gun will be at Reno?

Cheers
Andrew

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Barry, absolutely gorgeous! I love the sculpted look to the scrolls and leaves. Is this the Flare cut technique? I would love to learn that. Fantastic wirh, thank you for showing.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Andrew and Tim, it will not be in Reno, but I will bring something else, and it is cut with what I call bright cuts.
here are some more pics.
The first is layout, the second is completion.

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Barry - Nice story, nice design, engraving is very clean. Could you bring a practice plate with this style of engraving to Reno, I would like to see it first hand.

Mike

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Barry,
Just a wonderful piece of work from start to finish.
And it makes a great tutorial, thank you.
Home run all around, concept, engraving, etching and photography.

Just one problem...... wish you had better a better class of onlookers and helpers on this project :)

Regards to you all, John B.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, I will probably have a gun cut in this manner at Reno.
And John, I have been known to let about anybody in this place, old buddy.

Here is more work in progress:

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Marcus, you are very observant, no shading here, and after all, is not shading done to imitate sculpting?
The etched panels owe some credit to the time I spent with you and your Father in England, I still have the nib pen you gave me, and am using the mineral spirits and naptha trick with the ground to allow it to flow from the nib better.
Thank you my friend.
B

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Scott, you have done a few historic pieces over the years:)
Joseph, I remember being on the proffesional status commitee with you at the Guild show a few years ago, do you remember that?
Here is another pic.

Further. . .

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Breath taking work Barry. I love looking at your work. The tutorial has been great. Thanks for sharing. Dwayne

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Barry,
Great job, look forward to seeing it all together. I'm guessing that it will be blued? Are the scenes going to be blued?
All the best
Rick

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry,

Beautiful work as always! What is that machine seen behind your head in the picture in post #132? Also did you make that fixture for engraving stock ovals and escutchions? I would sure like to have one as I have always struggled with holding the stock while engraving inlayed stock ovals. One more thing, I would like to see the completed escution you are engraving in the same picture.

Thanks for sharing your work here. I know it is time consuming and time is money to an occupational engraver such as you. My thanks as well to all occupational engravers and craftsmen/women who take time to share thoughts, techniques and pictures in the engraving forums.

CRB

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Roger, thats a blower to exhaust hot air at night during the summer, and its about time to put it away, we wont have anymore hot days.
The Jig is one I had made. It is a center jig to hold items between centers, much like a checkering jig.

Sponsors