Sterling Silver Signet Ring - Annealing

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
what type of setting are you trying to do?

I think it's called a gypsy setting. The top of the stone will be flush with the surface of the ring. I plan to burnish the circumference of the ring to hold the stone in place.

See photo below. Hole diameter is too large & too deep for the 2 mm stone.

Note: The difficult drilling was at the start, using a twist drill(s) for a pilot hole. I then switched to a round bur, etc., which cut easily.

Attachments

• signet ring small max.jpg
    signet ring small max.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Bill, from your picture, it does not look as bad as I thought it would by your description, and I think you may be on the right track to correct it with a bit larger stone.
One of the ways I was taught early on for flush setting stones is to use a ball burr slightly smaller than the stone, after the pilot or "clean out hole" is drilled, and then use a 45 degree burr to cut a seat, or ring where you want the girdle of the stone to sit. With a little practice you can get the stone to almost snap into place, and then tighten it up with a little burnishing, this way only the girdle of the stone is touching metal, similar to a crown.( I would only do this with hard stones).
Hope it helps.
David

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
David, sounds like a good approach. I'll give it a try. The 2.5 mm stone(s) came this afternoon.

Latest posts

Sponsors