Some Scrimshaw by Katherine Plumer ...

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for the kind comments, they're much appreciated. :) I'm looking forward to having the knife on view at Blade Show (and also to seeing it again myself!).

Mark- the gold outline on the scrim is all scrim... and oh my gosh that about did me in! It's basically three lines. A thick gold line bordered by two incredibly thin black lines. The border made the cheetah seem easy! (And the cheetah was not easy!) There was a LOT of planning that went into this composition on both our parts!

Chris, dude, it was an honor working with you, and I thank you for that. Let's be sure to work together again! :banana:

-Katherine

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A very impressive collaboration, Katherine, Chris, and Kirby!

I do hope you continue to do more together, and keep posting. Good luck at your booth.

Would be great to be going to the Blade Show, and the Engrave-in, unfortunately I have to canoe the Dordogne River in France, and then do a music week in Barga, Italy, darn!

best

Rod

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
it was an honor
-Katherine

Aaaawe shucks Katherine ..... you're such a ham. lol!! You deserve the credit here ... it's your work that pulled this together and clinched the decision to get it photographed. Yes, there will be another project .... if you can put up with my obsessive-compulsive-borderline-schizzophrenic-paraniod-dillusional micro-managing again :big grin:

Hi Fred, It's all one color gold .... 24K. Coop shot about half a dozen photos until we finally agreed on a background that best complimented the gold. I asked him to make sure the gold was emphasized. Any discrepancy is most likely due to the angle of the shot and lighting as everything was adjusted equally. Coop's a great guy to work with.

JohnB .... great observation!! You should see that border under the microscope.

Andrew ... If only I knew for certain what I was going to do with this knife I would have held off sending you photos for the newsletter.

Gary .... you "heard" about this? There must be a security leak somewhere .... phone taps .... maybe wireless intercept? I'll have to re-screen the staff here at the bunker.

-----------

I'm really looking forward to the Blade Show and meeting those I haven't met yet .... and yes, I will be at the Engrave-In for at least a day - so Scott, please add me to the list.

p.s. Mark, stop by the table .... I won't sell it till you've seen it.

Thanks guys and now I defer back to Katherine .....

Chris

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Chris,
If I may emphasize, a job well done. Only those with doubt can't see. lol I'm happy that you were able to collaborate with Katherine, a perfect compliment.
Katherine, what could be said that hasn't been already.
I for one am looking forward to what boundaries the two of you will explore and expand. The passion of ones art shines through, it's the essence of why.
Mark

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
" . . . a collaboration of artists come together to create a unique peice." Artists are not know for collaboration.
So, whose piece is this? I assume it will be for sale at the blade show. Will the purchaser buy it because Chris engraved it; or because Katherine did that beautiful ivory panel?
Kevin

Andrew Biggs

Hi Kevin

Perhaps both?..or all three? Don't forget the knife brand (maker) as well :)

Engraving is a feild where artists do collaborate. The custom gun feild is one area that I can think of between action maker, stock builder and engraver. Each an artist in their own feild.

The same applies to the knife industry......maker, engraver or scrimmer. The brand of the knife, and the engravers and scrimmers that have added value to it. It all adds to the mix.

Cheers
Andrew

Standin

just grrrrrrrrreaaaaaaat o wait, was that was a tiger too? I think soo, Great work people!

Sponsors