Some Scrimshaw by Katherine Plumer ...

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Here's a knife some of you remember seeing a few months ago ... I decided to keep it for my table at the Blade Show so rather than let it sit and collect dust, I sent it to Katherine for her to work her magic on.

She's got a great eye and is wonderful to work with. We brainstormed some ideas but what I was looking for was something that would capture and compliment the speed and flow of the scroll.

A big thanks and a round of applause goes to Katherine - this post is for her. .... and to Jim Cooper for his wonderful photography.

Enjoy,
Chris

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congradulations to all three involved - excellent work. Very good Flow.
Chris is that two tone gold or light. Great job on the cutting-Fred

Andrew Biggs

That is fabulous work!!!

The knife, engraving and scrimshaw all come together to make a beautiful and well balanced peice of work. Great photo as well!!

It's always good to see a collaboration of artists come together to create a unique peice.

Congratulations to you Chris and Katherine.

Cheers
Andrew

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is truly a great piece. The scroll Chris created matches the flow of the curves of the knive so perfectly. Look at the how the three vertical back bones stack up against each other likes waves coming into the bench, that gently blend in with the curves of the front bolster and the rear handle. Then Katherine took the same essence and added so perfectly by the curves in the Cheeta's body and the tail. This is outstanding art. Well done Chris and Katherine.

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
and some engraving by Chris too...

Well Chris, you beat me to the punch, I was going to post this by the end of the day under a slightly different title... "a collaboration for Blade Show." Or, perhaps it's just that I knew if I waited long enough the suspense would get to you and you'd have to post it yourself, bwahahaha! :rolleyes:

It was a real pleasure to work on this piece and to collaborate with Chris.... and to get to see his engraving up close and personal. Wowzers, the dude is good. :big grin: I'm thrilled with how this all came together compositionally. Hats off to Chris for a beautiful engraving job, and also to Kirby Bletcher for a fine looking knife. :tiphat:

Chris and I are sharing a table at Blade Show, and this knife will be there. Drop by and say hi!

-Katherine

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now there is a knife that I would love to see and hold in person! Actually, I would love to own it! I have a feeling that this one is going to be a big hit at the Blade Show. By the way, is the gold border around the scrimshaw an inlay or is it also scrimmed into the ivory with colored ink?

Mark

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
WOW! I really like this knife very much and as Doc, I also would love to own it! I guess that you will leave the Blade show with this wonderful piece sold.
Although all the knife is a beauty in every detail there is one that like me specially, that revet looking like a far rising sun over the sabana and the other one perfectly dissimulated at the tail end.
Congratulations for all you three an the best wishes for the Blade show!
Leonardo.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
All involved, hats off to ya! Great work and photo.
Everything is outstanding, knife, engraving, scrimshaw and photography.
But I have to say that Katherine really pulled one off with that border frame.
Gold color scrim border with fine black shadow line surround is really out of the box.
That took pure talent.
Best regards to all involved.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW...looks awesome Chis. Congrats to all on the collaboration, and i'll be looking forward to seeing it in person.

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
Hats off to everyone involved!! :tiphat:
When I heard about this, I knew it would be outstanding - and the photos do not disappoint!
Gary