Show your flintlock

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I built this copy of a Wogdon and Barton Dueller from the original about forty years ago, plans were drawn after stripping it. I had very basic gunmaking skills and even less engraving skills, so gunmaker here will see flaws, but there was no teacher and it was a learning curve!

It was made from scratch which means no castings as everything was cut from solid by hacksaw, then filed up.

The barrel was bored for me and it was then swamped by filing. I used a small lathe to turn the screws and everything was case hardened.

The lock has a tumbler detent and there's a single set trigger to speed up ignition, it's cocked by pushing the trigger forward and adjusted by the small screw.

It also has a safety catch at the back end of the lock, a waterproof pan and frizzen spring roller for quick ignition and a horn ramrod tip.

The engraving is copied from the original but leaves much to be desired as I at that time was still figuring out what to use as a graver and what it had to make it cut properly:rolleyes:

If I had the time, I would love to make a Manton or Mortimer flinter as after over thirty years working on guns I think I could produce a good copy of what was then the best guns available.

Here's the gun and also some pics of the set trigger assembly, in cocked and fired positions.

Phil

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil,

Amazing work with such limited resources. Did you have to turn in that pistol for destruction after the handgun prohibitions were enacted in the UK?

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not being a shooter these days I'm not fully up to date but, antiques such as flint and percussion, (providing they are not fired) Colts etc (antiques) as long as the cartridges are not available, in other words obsolete.

I had to hand in a Colt SAA 44/40 and a .45, it was possible for me to keep the 44/40 as part of my Colt collection but I would have had to apply for a special licence which is not straight forward!

There are probably others here who can give a more comprehensive answer.

Phil

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Not trying to be a wise guy Phil, but before I'd hand over any of my collection I think I'd take a ball peen hammer to them. I'd hate to find out later that some parasitic politician or bureaucrat sold them for a profit. Just sayin.........

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did get back what I paid for them :) we were told that all the arms handed in were going into the furnace...as if :confused:

I had just striped down the .45 SAA, the idea was to really go to town on the engraving with carved multi coloured gold etc and sell it on, luckily I hadn't started the engraving!

Phil

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Outstanding work Phil for a first time builder ....... even for some seasoned builders. I would love to see what you would do with a Mortimer influenced pistol as a canvas. Do you think you'd design in the style of the time or use the old as a basis to influence a completely new design on a pistol of that vintage style? Thanks for sharing.
Mark

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Mark.

No I would not change the design of a Mortimer as it's just about perfect as it is ;) There's something about the old duelers!

BTW, this was not my first build, before this I had made a few flinters including a copy of a Manton, pocket pistols, two East India Brown Bess, 42" and 46" barrels, an Adams revolver and a Colt Navy, but as before with no castings etc....all done the hard way :eek:

Phil

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
Please stop this thread!!!! Every time I go through the new post I want to build one!! My wife says that I can't have another hobby!!!
Just kidding about the posts, not the hobby.
Wonderful craftsmanship...........
Jerry

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Phil, most impressive amount of work ..... from scratch! I'm too old to hack saw and file out parts. I'm fortunate there are good castings available that can be modified without the trouble of making from a block. i must rescind my compliments on your first ;) but should equate the statement to all your work. Let me guess, in your spare time you played music for warm up?! lol
Mark

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a hammer, hacksaw and file job. The customer brought me an original swivel breech that is dated 1755 made in Germany. He wanted a copy he could shoot.I took the original apart and duplicated every piece. The cock and frizzens were siler.The barrels made by Rice everything else is hand made. I have a photo of my starting materials and Mark you can get a glimpse of my bench chaos.
Now I have question the carvings were copied from the original with all that brass there is no engraving, I have a German jaeger from the same time period very intricately carved brass everywhere no engraving does anyone know why that is?
It seems like the talent was there but other guns I have seen from that time period are devoid of engraving even though the wood is intricately carved.
Thanks,Leland

Attachments

• D3S_9323.jpg
    D3S_9323.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 59
  • D3S_9324.jpg
    D3S_9324.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 59
  • D3S_9318.jpg
    D3S_9318.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 59

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil, most impressive amount of work ..... from scratch! I'm too old to hack saw and file out parts. I'm fortunate there are good castings available that can be modified without the trouble of making from a block. i must rescind my compliments on your first ;) but should equate the statement to all your work. Let me guess, in your spare time you played music for warm up?! lol
Mark
Mark, the castings today are extremely good and there's nothing wrong with using them, when I built these guns, they were very thin on the ground!...and yes! I do play music in my spare time :)

Leland, that's a nice job, the trigger guard is a bit curious but suits the gun.

Not all locks etc were engraved, maybe down to cost, time, or the customer didn't like engraving!

Phil

PS. Just found the Wogdon & Barton plans which might be of some interest to a few:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors