Question: scroll master template system (vectorize collection)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In reality I just started the thread to help those that were interested if you're not my respect to you. But for those of you that want to exchange files and help each other just p.m. and let me know

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Carlos.

So you are/were a signwriter?? Same here, and I used to do the layouts just as you describe for the clients. More often than not those drawings got you the job. The computers sure changed our industry from paint and brush to vinyl and then digital inks. Some of the change was for the better and some for the worse. The money certainly was a lot better and we could sure churn out the work at a rapid rate but we also lost something along the way...............We lost the human touch which is what hand engraving is all about

I would encourage anyone to persevere and master pencil and paper for scroll work and layout. It's cheap and you will build up the necessary skills and eye hand coordination that you need for engraving. The two go hand in hand and it will teach you more than clicking a mouse. It's also a skill that transferable directly to the canvas.

A lot of us use the computer for transfers, scene work, shapes, etc etc. So in that sense, yes, the computer is a very useful tool and not to be entirely dismissed.

One of the things I have noticed is that with digital scrolls is you always fall into the trap of cut and paste. So all the scrolls look the same and only their size and angle varies. This gives your work a "clip art" look to it which is great for commercial art but not so good for hand engraving. I've yet to see some work that convinces me otherwise. It is the human touch that does indeed give the work soul. Yes, it may be a marketing ploy but it also has some basis in reality. It is those slight variants in the scroll that often gives it character and is pleasing to the eye.

Having said that it really is each to his own and how far they wish to pursue the art. For some it's a living and for others a hobby. Some want to go on and get as good as they can get and others are happy to keep it simple. Age comes into it as well where time is not always on our side as it was when we were younger. So if using the computer to generate scrolls and layouts suits you then go for it………… There's nothing wrong with that. To each his own.

However, if you have some time I would encourage you to draw with the pencil. If you tell yourself you're crap, then you will be crap. It is all a matter of training your eye and hand.………just like it was to train yourself to use the computer programs.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors