Question: scroll master template system (vectorize collection)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok this is what I have in mind I am familiar with digital images (vectors) I would like to start a collection of designs since I am really bad I mean really bad a drawing. I have began to practice every free moment but to speed things up I would like to collect many scroll backbones and then vectorize the images so i can then manipulate the size angle ans so on. I understand I would still have to do many hand adjustments (drawing).

This is what Ive used before for my clients when it comes to decals (signs) for their businesses. I would take a picture of their location and then I would bring up that picture on my editing program would design letters signs, client would then be able to see what their location would look like before I made anything. In other words my work was superimposed on the picture.

If you can imagine what Im saying..I would take a picture of a knife, then I would superimpose the scroll backbones on the knife and then change the angles sizes and what ever else I would like and then if i like the pattern I could print it out modify and angles leaves and so on.

What do you think people can call this cheating or whatever but I love technology and many of you are already enjoying technology with an air assisted graver. (evolution)

now to my question is this set good for that has anyone bought this and had problems with it.

thanks..

once I get going with my collection I will post a youtube video (for you visual learners)

and if any of you need help vectorizing an image let me know...make sure the image is lines only! black and white(no shading) people charge upwards of $75.00 an hour for this work. I dont mind helping the fellow forum members out. Just my way to say thank you for all who have helped me.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would strongly disagree are you not aware of all the fine art being created on metal or other mediums that is being created and designed using computer programs.

Let's just look at how you engrave are using air assisted tools?

How are we even communicating now if it's not through the use of technology.

The use of technology is the future whether we like it or not.

You my friend you are probably a visual learner. Think of the big picture, for the sscroll to work it would have to flow from the mind, you would still have to put it together and arange it to fit the item your trying to engrave. I'm not talking about pushing a magic button and designing everything for you this is just the basic backbone Scrolls to save you time.

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Nothing flows from a computer that did not come from the hand and mind of a fellow human. I don't know if computers have souls, you may have to ask Bill Gates, he may have ordered a soul patch for 8. Does a great work of art have more soul than a nutcracker, if so why? :thinking:

Bob

mrthe

you can use all the technology that you wan, but if you haven't artistic skills your work will bee poor ever sith a paper and pencil or with a tablet.
At the beguin i had buy a scrollmaster template but i had used it not very much scroll backbone is not difficult to draw only you have to understand his anatomy, the Lee Griffiths's book explain it very well and in a easy way to understand, draw is a question , in my opinion, of practicng and practicing every day, you don't have to be Leonardo to do good draws , like the same Leonardo should say, when you to learn drawing with your right hand, start with the left one

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All what said here is true, but this idea has my simpathy.
Arnaud has already proven that vectorizing your scrollwork not always gives a poor engraving.
And there is nothing wrong with combining the two skills together , the old way with a pencil and the moderne way of computer work.
In many cases I think it can be time saving.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know Willem, I was trying to decide if my comment was deep and insightful or irritating and flippant. :thinking:

Bob

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Think about it like this you working on a piece you draw it by hand and now you have thoughts of changing something in your pattern you have to erase it do it again then realized it didn't work out. You draw it again and again you realize you don't like. You could have saved time on a computer. Make sense? You can manipulate your image back and forth as you please until you get the right layout.

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have drawn many hundreds of vector scrolls, but nearly all of them began as a pencil drawing on paper and then traced in Illustrator. When I design scrollwork for engraving jobs I draw directly on the workpiece and never on a computer first. I can draw directly on the workpiece many times faster than I can draw the same design on a computer, and I'm pretty proficient with Illustrator.

This is just FYI and I'm not saying anyone or everyone should do it like I do. The end result is what counts.

I believe most vector applications have a built in scroll backbone tool, so if it's backbones you want then you should be able to make them quickly and easily.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I started with this idea when starting design and engraving. I have a vector collection of leaves and scrolls. When I started, I needed a tiny line I could follow with my graver. Sure I also could draw using a pencil, so sometimes I just traced the pencil design into vector, that because it is not that obvious to make a good transfer from a scanned pencil design.
After using other techniques like drawing directly on the metal, I use more a pencil to make a design that need to be engraved, only when it comes to very complicated designs, I vectorise them for transfer.

Now about whether art come from a pencil or a computer, I think this is simple. There is no tool that will make a design by itself, not even a pencil, it is the human eye that leads the lines into a design.
Just like making photos, you need a good eye to make it into art. But how could you make a photo with a pencil or without using PS.
PS is also a computer dark room for digital photos, some might say only when using pellicule a photo can be art. Well that is stupid.
Some people think that computers can take over the jobs by itself, I don't know such a computer as it are always people who say to the computer what to do.

So in my opinion it is wrong saying that one tool is better than the other. And if we could agree on this, perhaps those "tool wars" that now and then show up would be history.
And like Sam said: The end result is what counts

arnaud

Last edited:

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi one of the many things I have learned on this Forum is use what ever works for you. If something works fine if it does not then change the tool until it does. To me this covers everything from gravers to layout.

scott99

myxlplyk

I would strongly disagree are you not aware of all the fine art being created on metal or other mediums that is being created and designed using computer programs.

Let's just look at how you engrave are using air assisted tools?

How are we even communicating now if it's not through the use of technology.

The use of technology is the future whether we like it or not.

You my friend you are probably a visual learner. Think of the big picture, for the sscroll to work it would have to flow from the mind, you would still have to put it together and arange it to fit the item your trying to engrave. I'm not talking about pushing a magic button and designing everything for you this is just the basic backbone Scrolls to save you time.

Carlos De La O III

Agreed.

It takes skill to use technology. Ascribing "soul" to a method is just marketing.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I am a retired landscape designer, and the one thing I told me clients is never pay for a plan.
Why you might ask, simply because things will always changed and need to be tweaked as things get laid out and thats why I am there to make it all flow together.
The plan only acts as a guide. This I believe to be very true when engraving firearms many different angels and curves and so forth so things always need to be tweaked and that is how great designs happen.
So to limit your design work to coping images you laid out on computer and not having the vision to adjust or enhance your design with an artistic eye would lead to flat and un inspiring designs.
So keep drawing and practice those scrolls just remember it takes years to develop the skills to do this work and I think we never stop leaning.

Just my two cents, ZZ

Latest posts

Sponsors