Scroll cutting & shading practice #1

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice video Quillen!
WOW!! Did anyone look at the other 13 of his videos? He does hand push faster than most powered gravers. I especially liked the freehand monogram on the pendant.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the comments, Fred and Darren. It would have been more fun to cut if I had not been rushing to get it posted on his birthday.

Fred, I'm sure you recognize the fixture the plate is held in. It works great.

Darren, I consider that high praise indeed. If I could attain your mastery of the tools and techniques, I would be a happy man.

Mike Fennell

celticjohn

Another plate cut. I'm afraid to shade it as I'll more than likely mess it up. but the thread is titled shading practice.....might sleep on it and shade it tomorrow.

Attachments

• scroll plain.jpg
    scroll plain.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 434

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John, Get shading. It is only a practice plate. Your cutting is sharp and clean. The only area can see is a SLIGHTLY heavy line at 3 O'Clock. other than that this is terrific. Fred

celticjohn

John, man up & get cutting :thumbsup:
You can`t improve if you don`t mess up in the first place.

OK, I "manned up and got cutting" still wasn't happy with the result. Cut another plate and shaded that also. I could spend the rest of my engraving life cutting and shading this plate. I'm still not happy with the results.

scroll4a.jpg scroll4b.jpg

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am coming late to this popular and valuable thread.

I tried a first attempt on copper, interpreting Sam's beautiful design as a 'flare cut'. This showed up shortcomings, in particular a bit of a traffic jam in the lower section. I will try again, however, why not post my attempt, and maybe get some good tips that might lead to a better second attempt...

Rod

Attachments

• sam test 2.jpg
    sam test 2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 919

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Celticjohn: I'm glad to see your submission, and I have added it to the RESULTS thread. You're definitely on the road to shading :)

Rod, you are becoming quite the flare cutter my friend! Very nicely done and the surrounding oval is a nice touch :clapping: I've added it the RESULTS thread.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
practice plate

Sam I did this right after you posted your outline, just haven't been in town to post. Now looking at all of this beautiful work I'm awfully embarassed. But what the heck, that's why it's practice. But man have I got a long way to go.

Attachments

• engraving pics 022.jpg
    engraving pics 022.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 872

Sam

Staff member
Trust me, you have NOTHING to be embarrassed about! That's darn good and you should be proud of your progress :thumbsup:

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words Sam. BTW, I got the G-12 but I still haven't gotten around to building a light tent/box yet, thus the crappy photo taken outside on a cloudy day. It's on that list.

That does make me think of a question, I can't seem to get the black Rustoleum paint to stay in when I wipe off the excess. Am I just not cutting deep enough? I'm such a novice that I guess I am not really sure how deep to cut, much less rolling some cuts at the appropriate time like y'all do.

Casey Jordan

Thanks for this challenge, it makes for great practice. I have done this pattern twice, once with cross hatch and once without.
I'm not as good as most of the others............that's why I like the practice!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 425
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 782
Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Nice job Casey! I've added your photo to the RESULTS thread.
I hope you take on the second one! Will you?

Casey Jordan

Nice job Casey! I've added your photo to the RESULTS thread.
I hope you take on the second one! Will you?

Thanks Sam!
You can count me in on the next one too! This is a great learning tool to improve anyone's engraving.
Comparing and studying the same pattern by numerous engravers at the same time is invaluable.

Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Sponsors