Scroll cutting & shading practice #1

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat: Thanks a lot for this most interesting thread, Sam! For any novice it means a huge source of inspiration:thumbsup: Regards, Paulie:clapping:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for your feedback folks :) We have another one in the works for you and I'll start a new thread soon.

Here's mine. Cut with a common 120° graver on brass and blackened with Rust-Oleum paint.

scroll_practice-sm.jpg

mrthe

without words....................

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, this has been a great idea and I think helpful for many. I haven't had time to participate as of yet. I hope to in the future. A few ideas for future designs.

-It may be fun to have some simple designs from time time from some of the other outstanding engravers ie. Sam W., Marty, Mitch, Brian H., Jim B., Andrew, etc. if they have the time and wish to participate.

-Designs that vary in how they begin, for example a corner design, a circular or oval design in the center of a plate.

-It's probably best to keep the deigns simple since many beginners and intermediate engravers will be participating.

-There is great value in NOT changing the outline or general idea much, but exploring the possibilities within the simple design.

-There is also value in seeing what some of the advanced engravers would do to significantly enhance a simple design by using more folds, flourishes,loops, etc.

Sam

Staff member
Lee: Great minds think alike :) I've already made arrangements with another engraver for the next practice design. I believe you will really enjoy the next one and I hope you get time to do this one as well. There's no time limit on any of them of course :)

Many thanks for your most excellent suggestions! :thumbsup:

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for your feedback folks :) We have another one in the works for you and I'll start a new thread soon.

Here's mine. Cut with a common 120° graver on brass and blackened with Rust-Oleum paint.

View attachment 18895

:clapping:Wow, that one looks very professional, Sam:clapping: My congratulations!

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Sam when I asked you on that other post about a practise plate design for us new folk and you responded within a day or two who would have thourgh it would have had this much interest and I still have not tried it I am affraid work is getting in the way customers want their lawn mowers repaired / replaced or serviced it that time of year here in UK but the response WOW and such nice work from the members, like someone said one excersise a month maybe a great idear your time permitting or maybe some of the other pro engraver might submit some to help you out.
Thanks again it a great post and it would be hard to pick a winner from this lot I know I wouldn't want that job :thinking:
Ray

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Hi Ray. Yeah, it's been a good one for sure. I've done it a couple of times in the past but this time it really clicked for some reason. :thinking:

There is no winner other than the folks (including me) who learned from a lot seeing how different engravers shade the same design. I hope you'll find time to cut it, too :)

mrthe

the winner i think is the same post and the great participation of all the folks pro and not thank you to all for spent your time to help and share ;)

Dimas

Elite Cafe Member
Impresionante, hace dias que no entraba y me encontre verdaderas maravillas. Ya estoy impaciente por empezar con otro tema, le pondremos mas interes je je je. gracias a todos por mostrar. Saludos

Latest posts

Sponsors