Rose and scroll by any other name is...

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Here is the final shading on the third element. Came out better than I thought it would but still needs some changes which I will ponder for a while.

Attachments

• final study.jpg
    final study.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 194

SamW

Not wanting to just let this study lie around on my bench (and get lost) I decided to outline it, cut it out and will eventually inlay it into a peghead on one of my instrument projects.

I have decided also that I should name this study idea and am calling it shape shifting scroll. I can think of at least 3 other engravers who's work would easily morph into the next 3 scrolls, Churchill, Alfano and Lindsay. There are many possibilities for this type study and I really recommend it to all.

Today I mailed off a few molds of this to Mike Bissell for the FEGA casting selections and Mike says when he has some available he will post here to let anyone interested know. They will be available via the FEGA web site. Regards to all!

Attachments

• finalized study.jpg
    finalized study.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 173

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
SamW,

Can I ask how the shading in the rose is done? or is it carved and the light is creating the shadows? And do you mind saying what graver geometry you used for the scrolls?

Donny

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That is some wonderful scrollwork, Sam! The kind that requires quite a bit of study to really appreciate. Fantastic shading, my friend. :bow:

SamW

Don, the rose is sculpted but also has some light stipple shading for added effect. I use a square graver with a 45 degree face for aluminum (about 60 for steel) and a very small heel with about 10 degrees lift.

Chris, I am sure motorcycle engraving is fun and satisfying. Never had a call for it but would give it serious concideration. Have done a few aluminum car parts, mostly for myself.

Mr. Sam, you are too kind! Would love to have added your style to this study...just did not think of it before ending the study. I will sometime in the future start another one and you are in the crosshairs! A full rosette would allow for quite a few different engravers' styles to be morphed one to another. Fun, Fun!

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Sam (TOS),
You're a very talented and generous artist. I'm extremely proud to own a piece of your work. Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful Sam, I don't mean you I mean the scroll and you look ok to especially for a 54 year old who is still learning and teaching all of us. I have had a few morphing pieces over the years but I can't say it was on purpose and certainly cannot claim that they turned out this well. Well done and I look forward to the next ones.

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
If any of you get a chance to hold this exceptional piece of work be careful, I believe I may already have drooled on it. I got to hold and study this piece and while the pictures are very good, what does not show as well is the exceptional, amazing and beautiful sculpting on the leaves. It is truely a mind-blowing piece of work. Thank you Sam for taking some time with me a few weeks ago. It was an educational and inspiring visit for me and I appreciate the time you took with me, thank you.

SamW

You are most welcome Denny and thanks for the comments. Don't fall for that line of Lee's about me being some old codger in his 50s...those years passed my by long ago! Marty I am sure to have that with me in Reno. If I don't inlay it into an instrument I will inlay it into the sign I use on my table. Fortunately aluminum doesn't rust.

SamW

Thanks Andy. I got an email from Mike Bissell a few days ago and he was having trouble with the casting resin he ordered and was going to try something else so it may be a while yet before he can post that castings are available. One thing I did not mention before that I can remember is the size of this piece. It is 1/2 wide by about 2 1/2 inches long, made on the same radius that a classical guitar rosette would have.

SamW

The journey begins...I am about 16 hours into the first of three guitar rosettes I will be doing over the next couple of years for instruments I am building. This on goes on the bloodwood guitar to go with my red Model A as pictured in my avatar. The second will be sculpted per the second scroll on the study piece and the third will be based on the third scroll on the study piece. I am starting to like working in aluminum...now if I could just get Carrol Shelby interested!

Attachments

• journey begins.jpg
    journey begins.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 129

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Man that's rich... It's a long journey around that rosette, no? You're a luthier as well as an engraver?

Reminds me of when I had more mulah... I commissioned a guitar from the Conde Hermanos in Madrid and they sent me a guitar with the wrong rosette but I didn't complain as it took them months to fulfill the order. The same guitar now goes for about $14,000 without the bazillion rosewood back and sides that I had on mine. Yeash!... Now I'm lucky if I can afford to eat out at Mc'y D's every so often :cool: Ah but life is good.

I really love this rich style... It must take twice as long... Thanks for sharing once again, Sam!

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
What Andy said, very rich engraving. I just have to keep coming back here and drool over the pictures.

Peter

SamW

Thanks Andy, Pete. I will post another photo when I have a good bit more done. I have been deepening some of the lines in the scroll to add more contrast and depth so it will look more like the scroll study and when it is inked it should be the same. Though it may not show on the photos, there is a good bit of stipple shading to blend and add depth to the scroll. The stipple shading is more apparent on the roses. There are subtle differences that I have added to hopefully improve the scroll and roses and to be just a bit "not the same".

Latest posts

Sponsors