Rose and scroll by any other name is...

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
still rose and scroll! I was much impressed by the beautiful scroll work of Simone Dainelli as shown on the back of issue 90 of The Engraver so I have started this feasibility study for a rosette for my next guitar project. The first scroll off the rose is flat cut and shaded, the second sculpted and shaded. I am working on the design of a third one that will be more Kornbrath in appearance (I hope). I will settle on one of them for the rosette. I have projects planned that can use the others if I so desire. This has been fun and I am learning more about studying different styles of scroll. I highly recommend such an exercise for all.

Attachments

• more study.jpg
    more study.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,001
Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow Sam!
For an old guy you still rock!!
:)
Seriously... I've always liked your "usual" sccroll but this is really nice! Super!
Rex

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

A very organic shading on this lovely design. Hope I get a chance to pick a tune on the new guitar when it comes to life! Will you engrave in aluminum as you did with the others? You may be raising the bar for engraving aluminum at such a level of finesse, the design is worthy of precious metals, but then again we do not want to be adding too much mass to the sound board, so it is an appropriate metal. Talking of precious metals, when Napoleon had a set of dinnerware made with the 'new' aluminum metal, it cost more than solid gold, since it needs to be refined electrically and the metal did not get down in price till we refined it near falling water hydroelectric plants.

Keep posting, Sam, as the project grows!

Rod

Last edited:

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
By this time, I have seen and carefully studied MUCH scroll design and shading... I can honestly say that this is some of the most beautiful I have seen to date... especially the shading.

Thank you for sharing! :beerchug: :happyvise: :drawing:

SamW

Thanks again. Andy, it was a good attempt at Simone Dainelli's scroll style. His work has much finer shading which I hope to approach but not likely in the aluminum...it is too soft to put shading lines that close together. But other metals would likely be heavier than I would want to inlay into the soundboard of a guitar or ukulele, as Rod says above. I find that sometimes the only way I can grasp what someone had done is to take pencil in hand and start drawing what I see. Sure helps to understand the scroll. Otherwise it can seem too complex.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

I also wanted to say that FEGA Reno honored Simone in a very nice way last january, with Sam A showing his scroll as an example during his Monday lecture, and it being featured in the Engraver Mag, and here once again mentioned in your posting. I was in an adjacent motel room to Simone a few years ago in Reno, and we got to spend some time together. That was the year he had his wonderful Diana bulino in his pocket as a very impressive calling card. He came under the influence of our colleague, Martin Strolz, in Austria, an outstanding artist/engraver and teacher par excellance. Simone must have some superior native talent that goes along with his studies.

I hope we see more of him and his work!

Rod

SamW

I could not agree more Rod! The knife scale casting was rather small and very easy to overlook. If Sam A had not shown that during his seminar I would likely not have taken notice and would have missed some of the finest scroll I have ever seen. One must realize that the knife scale on which it was cut was not a lot wider than one's forefinger so it is rather small, which makes it even more a marvel to me.

A confession here...I am having a difficult time drawing a Kornbrath based scroll that looks as nice as the Dainelli based scrolls. Drats!!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It doesn't get any better than that. That is absolutely stunning work, Sam. What wonderful detail and shading...and I can imagine the hours it takes!!

This Sam

SamW

Thank you Mr. Sam for bringing the original Dainelli work to my attention in Reno! I have finally gotten a third element roughed in and ready for final polishing and shading. It isn't exactly what I am after but then...I don't really know what I am after other than something with a Kornbrath flavor. Hoping that I can stare at this for a while and inspiration will strike. Only time will tell.

I have decided that the first rosette will be done with the first element off the rose, and used on my next guitar project which is a steel string built along the lines of a classical guitar ala John Mello. It will have bloodwood back and sides...yes, a very red guitar to go with my very red Model A. The second element will be used for the main project all this has been leading to with master grade wood in rosewood and Englemann spruce. After that, one more project for the third element. This will take a couple of years or a bit more, especially with everything else going on. Never a dull moment aroung here!

Attachments

• RJK added e.jpg
    RJK added e.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 148

Latest posts

Sponsors