Announcement: Review of California air ultra quiet air compressor

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have had two, for about a year. After a while one started making noise and then broke, now I am on the second.
They are not as quiet as the silaire.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Air turbines consume a lot more air than pneumatic handpieces. If you use the Presto for extended periods you really need a compressor that'll keep up without the thermal overload kicking in. I only use mine with my Sil-Air compressor for a few minutes at a time.

I only use it remove backgrounds and to remove some smaller sections when sculpting..... which Sil-Air do you run? Is the TC-50 a viable option?

Donny

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone else purchased this compressor and what are your thoughts? Would it run a Lindsey PC Classic?
Thanks!

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Jane, I also have a TC-50 and it works perfectly with a PC and is very quiet. But, once I started using a Presto for background removal is was working too hard and getting very hot. I recently purchased a California Air Compressor Model # 4610A and it works much better with the Presto. So, I just use it for everything now and will save my little TC-50 for portable purposes in the future. I will say that the Cal Air is not as quiet but the noise level is still very acceptable and much, much quieter than a standard compressor. Hope that helps!

bdext002

I was just about to click the "Purchase" button on a Silentaire Super-Silent 20A, when I figured I'd check the cafe to see if there are any reviews! This happened to be at the top! The Super-Silent sounds comparable to a refrigerator when it's running. I know the California isn't that quiet. What I'm worried about is being able to use a GraverMach for hours at a time and not overheating either. The 20A is only 80psi max. The CAT-1610A is 120psi max. Does anyone have the 20A or know if it is able to run a GraverMach for hours at a time? (My apartment has thin walls, so the quieter, the better) Thanks!

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
I've been using the California/GMC compressor for over a year now and have been using a Gravermach with a magnum hand piece. I've been engraving nothing but firearms five six days a week. The model I have has two stacked steel tanks...If I had to do it over again I would buy the aluminum twin tank model ( rusty water when draining).

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I was just about to click the "Purchase" button on a Silentaire Super-Silent 20A, when I figured I'd check the cafe to see if there are any reviews! This happened to be at the top! The Super-Silent sounds comparable to a refrigerator when it's running. I know the California isn't that quiet. What I'm worried about is being able to use a GraverMach for hours at a time and not overheating either. The 20A is only 80psi max. The CAT-1610A is 120psi max. Does anyone have the 20A or know if it is able to run a GraverMach for hours at a time? (My apartment has thin walls, so the quieter, the better) Thanks!

I have a Super Silent 20A. Its spec is "0.7 cfm & 55-85 psi". It works very well with my Lindsay PC. The GraverMach AT spec is "minimum 45 psi & 1.4 cfm". So, the 20A won't handle a GraveMach AT. I don't have the spec for the GraverMach.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I thought I had replied to this thread but I guess I never got back to it...So I bought the California 6310 Ultra Quiet !!!! It is perfect! I am currently living in a studio apartment for the year up here in Seattle. This thing is quiet enough for the apartment and it only cycles every so often because my hand piece uses so little.

Great Buy!

Donny

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I thought I had replied to this thread but I guess I never got back to it...So I bought the California 6310 Ultra Quiet !!!! It is perfect! I am currently living in a studio apartment for the year up here in Seattle. This thing is quiet enough for the apartment and it only cycles every so often because my hand piece uses so little.

Great Buy!

Donny

Glad it all worked out for you, I'll be in Tacoma this summer, it's to wet this time of year

Carlos De La O III

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
My real home is in Phoenix!!! I'm just on a one year detail with the Government. This place bites!!! been here 2 1/2 months seen the sun 5 times. No lie! Watched a guy washing his car at a car wash..it was raining...and he was still washing his car?? I know my mouth was hanging open....

Donny

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ha, I know I've been that guy, was there 8 years, some of those were active duty.

It's funny you see people protect themselves from the rain, there no one seems to care, everyone just walks, don't even get me started when it comes to outdoor bbq's.

Just wait until you get the the months of summer, women are out in force, if your single don't worry their there just hibernating

Carlos De La O III

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Jane,
I have a Lindsay Classic handpiece, getting a NSK Presto to have for removing larger background areas thats why I went with a compressor. Back in Phoenix I just used a 20LB CO2 tank.

Donny

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Ha, I know I've been that guy, was there 8 years, some of those were active duty.

It's funny you see people protect themselves from the rain, there no one seems to care, everyone just walks, don't even get me started when it comes to outdoor bbq's.

Just wait until you get the the months of summer, women are out in force, if your single don't worry their there just hibernating

Carlos De La O III

Ha!! Married 26 years with many more to come hopefully.....besides she too knows how to use all those guns and knives at the house :)

Donny

krisf

I bought the single tank last year and it ran alot, had the opportunity to swap it out for the dual tank. Running a gravermach G8 and the dual tank is a dream, only after about 3 hours of cutting do i notice it getting warm, i use the heat as a timer to get up and stretch for a hour so i wont need my chiropractor the next day. i set it on a heavy rubber floor mat and keep it right next to my bench. noise isnt a issue at all, great machine.