Recommendations on a powered graver

Andrew Biggs

Yeah the bad guys wear Optivisors and carry Plain Jane guns.the good guys have microscopes mounted on their heads and carry only the finest engraved guns on the face of the earth with accuracy capabilities far beyond the skills of mortal man..............FANCYGUN

Hey Marty.........Thank goodness you've finally seen the light!!!! I was starting to worry about you and your optivisor :)

Cheers
Andrew

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I need to engrave my own gun..........................been trying to find out where to by that darn magical nail to engrave with.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Another benefit of the microscope is removing splinters and looking at cool bugs.

kcstott

Of course Lindsay is proud of his stuff! He didn't follow a blueprint to follow in his work like you do in yours. I take it personally when someone knocks a tool they have never used because of its price. Remember when Glocks came out? Steves' tools will stand the test of time as well as the others have. They are all great tools and some real smart people invented them. Play nice!!

I think you read in just a little deep there. I was not knocking Lindsay (thanks Marcus for the defense) If I had knocked Lindsay my post would have read something like "How dare he charge that much for an ordinary average tool!!!" the fact is his tools are not ordinary or average, That I understand. I know quality when I see it. My issue is can I get into this as a hobby for now and develop some skill that would justify the cost of a high end graver. But I do take a bit of offense to the working from a print comment. I will save my rant and just simply say "Judge not till ye has worked for the morons I have". The "prints" I work from are drawn by me:p The companies I worked for had no engineers, WE the machinist's drew and designed better then 75% of the work coming in.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
kcstott: My advice is to take an engraving class first and then buy tools. After a class you'll have a much better idea on which way you want to go with your new hobby, plus you'll be getting up to speed MUCH faster than learning by yourself.

kcstott

kcstott: My advice is to take an engraving class first and then buy tools. After a class you'll have a much better idea on which way you want to go with your new hobby, plus you'll be getting up to speed MUCH faster than learning by yourself.

I plan on taking a class but the only class near me is Stockton. So I need to do some planing.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another benefit of the microscope is removing splinters and looking at cool bugs.

EXACTLY:D I've used mine for all sorts of things when seeing minute detail is critical. Once I took the processor chip out of my computer without knowing how to install it correctly. I used my microscope to straighten out all the little gold pins!

There is some very good information in this thread.

Peter

moslash

Okay,Okay....I am a knife maker and when someone come to my table or shop and ask how much and then says "Proud of them arent ya" their saying that they think you are charging to much and that $#@^&#%$#^&@%#^#&#7. You know the feeling! How much to engrave this pistol. WHAT!! ARE YOU NUTS!!!! Sorry if you thought I was being harsh. I wasn't down on KCStott opinion, just the little bitty snip about Steves' price. No harm intended. OXOXOXOXOXOXOOXXOXOXOOXOXOXOXO Okay!!!!!!

kcstott

Well I was saying Lindsay's stuff is up there in price but I also don't have a problem shelling out that kind of money if his tools justify the cost. I think his tools do justify the cost. But I'm also a cheep SOB too:D And am trying to get into this for as little as possible then throw some real money at this once I figure out that I'm good enough to continue this art.

There is another saying though "If you have to ask how much you can't afford it" I've seen guy's that just shake their head at a fine custom shotgun and not even a top end gun either They about **** when they find out a good AYA is upwards of 10K then I tell them about a Parker or a Kriegoff and they just about die. And I say well fun costs money how much do you want to have.

Last edited:

mikemiller

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to engraving.

I just bought a GRS GraverMate. I hooked this up with pedal and handpiece and cannot get it to supply air. No air is getting to the handpiece or the pressure gage. It does power up and seems to run ok, just no air.

Latest posts

Sponsors