Preview

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a preview of the forend tip of a gun i'm working on, there's about six months of work gone into the gun and about five months left to go.

Phil

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Wonderful sculpture.
So crisp and clean.
What is the pattern in the gold background, please?
Cut lines or individual wires?
Really outstanding.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is going to be a hard one to wait for. Look forward to many installments-Could the background possibly be mill grained?-Thanks very much Phil, really excited. I hope your customer is also a forum member so they can follow progress with the rest of us. We be wonderful to listen to their comments -Fred

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil,
May I inquire what gun it fits?
Offhand I would guess a muzzleloader but am probably wrong.

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Phil that is a tease! I wanna see the rest of the girl, um I mean gun. Work like this makes me either wanna quit or engrave 24/7 not sure which.

AWESOME!:thumbs up:

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What is the pattern in the gold background, please?
Cut lines or individual wires?
They're engraved lines.
Phil,
May I inquire what gun it fits?
Offhand I would guess a muzzleloader but am probably wrong.
It's actually a Galazan o/u.
Phil that is a tease! I wanna see the rest of the girl, um I mean gun. Work like this makes me either wanna quit or engrave 24/7 not sure which.

AWESOME!:thumbs up:
I would love to show a lot more of this girl...I mean gun! But I don't think it would be fair to show until the customer has seen it first, but i'll slip a few things in.

By the way the rest of the gun is:-

Large carved scroll with gold background.

Raised and carved multi-coloured gold scroll here and there, between and on top of the other scrollwork.

Bulino type game scene backgrounds with raised carved gold ducks and framed with raised and carved multi-coloured gold scroll. This is on both sides and the bottom.

Thanks all for the comments,

Phil

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Phil,You do some outstanding engraving,my question is do these gun ever get used or are they just for show? Keep up the good work. J.J.Roberts

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Phil,

It's hard for me to realize that this kind of artistry can be accomplished so exactingly and so small! Of course, when you mention the time committed to this I am curious as to your compensation for almost a year's work. PM if possible. Tnx!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil, it is getting bored, you keep surprising me all the time, hope it never stops. :big grin:
I know you already told that it takes a lot of time do do a sculpting right, the time you are spending on this one is beyond my imagination almost.
So it will look as if it came from out of space I suppose.

Thanks for showing :tiphat:

arnaud

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,
Yes this carving does take some time to do, but on this one, there is extra work because of the gold background.
What is also very time consuming is the raised and carved multi coloured gold, ie. like this http://www.igraver.com/forum/gallery/photoplog/index.php?n=2383
cutting the gold to fit like a jigsaw, inlaying it and then carving it.

Most of this work is done, the game scene backgrounds are finished and the gold birds are inlayed on top, in fact the majority of the gun is semi finished, the carved scroll needs refining but all the gold finishing will be done after hardening.

Phil

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Mr. Phil, please explain why the final polishing of gold work is completed after hardening. I suspect the reason might be because you are using different colored gold & some of it will change color after being heated. Thanks for showing us pictures of your superb work !

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maestro, It's good that you mentioned time spent on this work.
It gives everyone a gage to measure by. It's not magic but hard work and lots of time.
What someone pays you is unimportant.

It's great to see marvelous work; we need more wonder in the world.
Kevin

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Phil, while watching this small piece of your work, this question came up to my mind: when you do the design, do you have all the work that would be needed already calculated? I ask, because you said so - "five more to go". This is great as i can't imagine it.
The gold on the ground is neat, brings up the design even more.
Like the others i am looking forward to Christmas :)

Latest posts

Sponsors