Critique Request Please be gentle. First request

Sgwiley

Banned
Thanks Boomhoer. That gives me hope. I was feeling very discouraged before you wrote.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Your welcome.
Don't get discouraged. This art is not easy to learn just takes time
I no what you mean tho I have been there many times. Just when I thought I was getting better I had to stop and go back and learn what I was doing wrong
Just remember that this is fun and enjoy the learning curve

Sgwiley

Banned
Yeah. I may be done with them. I am tired of people that are selfish and arrogant they are too special. I am done with that.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam,

What did you mean by "right now is not a good time". I'm confused by that.

You have to learn to crawl before you walk. You're in the early stages of learning scrollwork design so perfect the basics before you tackle the more difficult stuff. Maximize your chances for success.

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Although your subject matter is identifiable by outline only the ears, eyes, nose, jawline etc. are obliterated and the subject matter that would be recognizable and lend interest is unidentifiable. Subject matter presented in the abstract must still be identifiable and recognizable.
Learn how to draw good scrollwork and study anatomy of your subject matter. Don't worry, most have been where you are and as Sam pointed out, you have to learn to crawl before you walk....it's easy to get caught up in your enthusiasm.
Engraving takes time, each line takes time and being time is money most engravers are busy working and not hanging out online as it doesn't pay very much. Patience.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
This is one of the most helpful bunch of people you will ever meet in the art of engraving.
You are jumping to an unwarranted opinion.
Hundreds of beginners post here asking questions and posting works.
Yours is certainly not the best nor the worst. You asked for opinions and help, don't take the responses personally.
You have an interesting idea.
Each engraving book, video, class, etc I have seen in my experience starts with the basics and moves forward from there.
I think everyone is telling you to start with the basics then move forward.
Get the Meeks book. Master each step. Then apply to you idea.
If you alienate everyone trying to help you from the beginning, you may not have the commitment to learn.
Be patient, respectful, learn from the masters ( I am not one, just an admirer).
Good luck.

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
I feel like this might be a waste but incase not ..

Yes you must encourage yourself .. most people on here are very helpfull and give advice in a friendly constructive way .
You and you alone must provide your true encouragement and drive to improve and excell your work.

I like your design , its abstract , different and from the imagination.

i think you could of put more detail in elements such as the cloud and sun and maybe just a little more information at the bottom and out side of the dear to let us know if that is grass or mountains etc. or maybe next tme make a border closer around the dear next time to close off that space and so the viewer is focusing on the dear and the clouds sun only without being confused.

inside the dear you have scroll work , but Better looking scroll work would impove this design greatly , and you must like scrollwork to include it in your design , so why not research a little and look how other engravers that you like , draw and cut scroll work .

Practice drawing and practice cutting , but keep your imagination and original ideas .

dont quit . be polite . work hard

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah. I may be done with them. I am tired of people that are selfish and arrogant they are too special. I am done with that.

This is one of the most insulting things that I have ever read on this forum. Many of us have devoted countless hours to advising, critiquing, and helping beginners learn and improve. We do this without compensation even though out time is money. Sgwiley, you must think that we are all retired hobbyists with nothing to do but immediately respond to you. Others can do as they wish, but as for me, I have no intention of ever responding to your threads or posts.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
SGWiley, I am really sorry to hear that you have ALS. I can't imagine what it must be like to deal with it. My best to you and try to live your life with grace and gratitude for what you do have.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member

Good bye! I shall make the point never to answer any of your posting if you ever post again. What do you think, that we owe you something, so tired of all this entitled people who think that their wants supersede any other consideration. Having so little respect for people you ask favors from how can you expect any?

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
It's a shame that the time I have been on here that there has been more than one person disrespect Sam and others for no reason but they are better then everyone. I don't understand how people can do what they do and steal sleep at night
This guy is over on Lindsay's forum now

Sam

Staff member
I never understood "be gentle" in a critique request and assume the poster wants us to sugar coat our response.

SGWiley: Many of us where at the Firearms Engravers Guild Show when you made your post, and I'm sorry no one was here to handle your request in a timely fashion. And as others have pointed out, your snarky comments have turned off members who share a wealth of information that you can't put a price on. We're truly sorry for your illness, and Lee Griffiths' advice applies to all of us that regardless of our circumstances, to be grateful for what we do have.

The good news is that if you participate in a polite and respectful manner this will probably be forgotten and you'll get cooperation from our members, many of which have been dear friends for decades. We're not a closed group at all, and welcome anyone to our ranks that shows good heart and a love of hand engraving arts.

~Sam

Sam

Staff member
What's interesting is that SGarrison007's and SGwiley's IP addresses both resolve to Saint Simon Island, GA. Now isn't that a coincidence?

Latest posts

Sponsors