Question: Pencil Lead Hardness

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have purchased a .3mm pencil in an attempt to work on drawing smaller designs. The stupid thing had no lead. So back to the store. Now I'm looking at lead and there are more than 10 hardness levels. I have no idea what they mean.

Does anyone know which F,H,or B would work for a person that does not have a heavy hand and wants to draw on metal?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Beathard,I like the 5mm lead pencil with soft B lead,tryed the 3mm pencil and the leads keep braking so I went with the 5mm.hope this some help. J.J.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been using the .5mm but the lines are awfully thick. I can engrave smaller than the line. I have found myself following the left edge of the line. Thought a smaller pencil line would increase accuracy.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Try an "H" with a fine point (use a fine sandpaper to make the point):tiphat:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
B is soft and H is hard. A 9H is the hardest. An HB is in the middle and equal to a #2 lead pencil. I don't know about the F series.

I use a rotary sharpener that puts a needle point on the lead. Sometimes I sharpen the lead on my power hone.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beathard
Leave your mechanical pencil at home because I wont let you use it in my drawing class in two weeks to draw landscapes and animals. You won't need it.

heheheheheh :drawing::no:

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
:shock: Took Marty's drawing class last year. He was a slave driver:eek: I hate to say it with :bow: Him skulking around, but, I learned a lot from the old curmudgeon:tiphat: It was a great class. You will enjoy it.:pencil:
Sandy

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Curmudgeon, I like that.
To the original poster, look up pencil hardness scale cart and that will answer the question for you. Sometimes those pencil lead sections at art supply stores will have a chart right there on the display.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Blood is good........sweat curls and blisters the paper.

Hope you've been practicing Sandy. You were kicking and screaming the first half of the week. Going to be drawing and engraving more animals this year in class. My way of doing them.

Seriously though. we did not use any mechanical pencils and i dont use them at home in my shop either. They're just ..too mechanical and have no life to them

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
look up pencil hardness scale chart

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
H is pretty good for point three. I find it plenty dark. But if light for you hb. B's will be soft and crumbly at that diameter.

sinan

I like mechanical pencils. I use three of them to draw. 2H for .3mm , B for 0.3mm and 3B for .5mm . If you use harder lead you can draw thin lines. Other pencils are wasting your time by sharpening. You can get .7 mm mechanical pencil and sharpen the lead by fine sand paper too. You can draw very thin lines by it too.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The problem I have with mechanical pencils are......they do a nice consistant fine line which can be good for marking the metal prior to cutting a line. Now it sounds like many of you want very fine pencil leads so you can draw small. When I do a drawing i draw larger than the actual engraving is to be. When you cut a line the line is usuall not of a consistant depth or width thus varying the character of the cut line. With a mechanical pencil in a drawing i cannot achieve this variation. Therefore i choose to us drawing pencils of various numbers. This way I can draw lightly or heavy. I can start light with my guidelines and darken as I correct and develope the image. A drawing then has some life to it and hopefully I can carry this forward onto my engraving.

DIXON #2 :pencil:

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
At Leon Mignon we use HB 0.5 and 0.3mm automatic pencil for drawing the contours and the basic shading after that we go over the shading with a B. For the background we use 2B and sometimes even darker. Here is a recent drawing i made at school this is my design not a school design so please don't copy it. Not jet finished. No transferring no calking only free hand drawing! This will be engraved soon. We always try to draw 2,5 times bigger than we engrave. if you draw bigger you can easily put a lot more detail in the drawing.

axeman11

I use the Blackwing 602 with a dual stage sharpener from Pencils.com. Not sure about the lead. It is a special blend, made in Japan and writes silky smooth. With the dual stage sharpener, you can make a needle point if you need it.

Latest posts

Sponsors