Open letter to John..........

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To John B., Sam and Sam, Marty, Rex, Phil, Ken, Ron. Alain, Martin, Chris and the many others who take the time to post, I extend a sincere heartfelt thank you. Another post has encouraged John to write a book. I understand the difficulties and reasons for not doing so. For many it is not practical or possible HOWEVER.......as an alternative or in the meantime as the case may be I strongly encourage and appreciate any posts and suggestions you have or will offer on this forum. Through my visits with some of you I have been introduced to other ways of doing things. Some I have adopted and some I have not but all were appreciated and mind expanding (in my case I acknowledge how easy that is). It is fascinating to look at the many ways different techniques can be accomplished. My friends from across the pond have different training and experiences and a wealth of knowledge to share. And John anyone who can bedazzle Marty and Sam W. with something they have not seen or thought of deserves a salute. Well done my friends.:beerchug:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I second that as well! There were several tips I got from John when I was actually young! I'm not sure I would have figured them out myself after all these years.
Rex

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Lee,
Thank you for the parts of that directed toward me.
Quoting one of my good friends" Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in awhile."
If I can throw in a couple of old ideas now and again that may be new to some that is a small compensation for all the high art engraving you and others inspire newer engravers and we old dogs with.
As we talked about at Grand Master it's me who is in awe of the talent and skill that I see developed in engraving over the last few years.
Your skill and teaching and all the other engravers mentioned above together with many more have left me in the dust.
I'm from a previous era of engraving and it is the truth when I say that I am attempting to adapt and learn all these refined skills that are now so generously shared and to bring myself back up to speed.

Take care, Lee my friend. Maybe I can buy you a glass of butter milk in Reno.
Looking forward to seeing another of your masterpieces and those of other friends.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Barry, my dear friend.....Ya Done It in Spades!

Andrew, Rex.
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.
And all the constant work you do to share and help our engraving family.
You guys go the last mile.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for bringing this up Lee. Way back a hundred years ago* I took an advanced engraving class in Trinidad, Colorado with Neil Hartliep. I was 19 at the time and one of my classmates was a white haired old guy who was an avocado farmer (I’m not even sure I that I really knew what an avocado was back then). OK, I was the youngest one in the class, by at least 10 years, but still I knew a treasure when I saw it. John Barraclough** was just the nicest guy in the world and as interested in engraving as I was and already had a lot to share. I don’t think he looks any different now than he did then. I know he is just as nice today or nicer as he was back then and still is flowing fountain of engraving knowledge to all those who enquire of him.

I count myself extremely fortunate to have roomed with Ray Phillips on a number of occasions at the FEGA show. Rooming with Ray comes with the additional benefit of John Barraclough as the next door neighbor with cross doors open. Folks, you have’nt lived till you have heard a cheery voice with an English accent wishing you goodmorning as he sets a cup of fresh brewed coffee by your sleepy head. I can’t tell you how much I was pleased to have John and Ray come to my house for the Engrave-In a couple of years ago. I posted this quote on my Facebook page a few days by Jimmy Stewart talking of Grace Kelly.” Every time I saw her it was like being on a holiday.” There are a number of people in my life that I could say this of, and John and Ray are in that category, either as a pair or individually. *** I have learned a lot great techniques from masters on 6 six continents, but for day in and day out help, advice, and encouragement, I would say its hard to beat John Barraclough for engraving knowledge. I am glad to count him as a friend.

*It was 1983 for those keeping track of numbers
**I don’t know why, but addressing him as John B seems to disrespectful to me for some reason.
*** Since I am the engraving forum, Sam Alfano is another one that would fit in that category for me even if he does drink trashy Tennessee whiskey :^)

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very well said, Lee!

And with good heart. You are also one of our heroes!

What interesting lives come together in the cusp of engraving. What a book John B's life would make, from his early days as a steeple chase jockey, on to avocados, engraving, teaching, and all! ..... and he can sing one of my favourite Hebridean Scots songs, the Gaelic song, "The Eriskey Love Lilt"

best

Rod

Last edited:

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Dear John; you say that you come from a "DIFFERENT ERA OF ENGRAVING" that the newcomers are leaving you in the dust, you feel out of place. We need you to write the book, because when a person runs into trouble does he go back to the teacher whom may have moved away,or, does he go to the PROFESSOR that taught the teachers ? The new guys do not have the Real experience behind them yet,and wont for many years to come. Myself, the dvds and other videos are not like a hard-bound book, the plastics wear out, the players break down, you just cannot depend on them. The new guys arent writing books John !! They arent on your level.......

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Reading this reminds me of a conversation with John at the FEGA show years ago. He started telling me all sorts of things about inlay, "good" steel plates I could get from Chronite and a host of other tidbits and I was writing as fast as I physically could. I didn't want to interrupt the flow of knowledge coming from him so freely.

That was the year you gave me that awful cold and I ain't been that sick since. :thumbs up: As soon as I got home, I made one of those inlay tools he told me about, one for myself and one for Paul Hamler and they work like a champ to set the gold before punching it down. Count this as my feeble attempt to encourage you to write a book or even a memoir as you have lived a most interesting life; that goes for you too Rod.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Scott, thank you for your kind thoughts and words.
There are very few people, infact whole families who do as much as the Pilkington's to keep the the engraving field moving forward with shared knowledge.

Rod, my multi talented friend and great writer. When can we look forward to a book from you? And that old "Love Lilt" was taught me many moon ago by my choir master who had one of those great Welsh singing voices. So long ago I only remember the refrain.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge, talent, help and music with with so many of us.

Richard, thank you. As book lover myself your thoughts carry a lot of wisdom and weight.

Tim, my friend sorry to have shared that rotten case of crud with you.
Glad to know you have forgiven me. Hope to see you in Reno in January.

Best regards and please forgive me if I have failed to mention someone.

monk

Staff member
well, john b. may be of another era-- ta ta ! it so happens i've never personally met the gentleman- but nearly every day when i engrave i use certain techniques i picked up from tips he posted on the forum. not to mention his tool tips which i use almost daily. how's that for learning from a great guy you never even met ! i owe you john- so thanks for what you have taught me. and thanks to so many others on this forum. so many things i've learned, just by showing up. thanks to everybody, including the landlord and landlady.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Monk, thank you for your kind words.
We all learn from one another in this great meeting place.
And a ton of thanks for all the work you do here to help make it so enjoyable.
Best regards to you and your lady.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
I am always a day late and a dollar short.
However, John It is my pleasure to be able to call you my friend. I enjoy thinking of our time in Trinidad so many years ago. I wish I could run that mountain one more time. Mr. Pilkington is correct. You are a treasure and anyone is fortunate to have you call them friend.

Sandy

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hey Sandy, luv ya buddie.
We did have a few chuckles in Trinidad didn't we?
You and that mountain....that was hard to believe even for a DI.
Take care, hope to see you in Reno soon.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Mr. B yet, but hopefully that will change in the not too distant future.

I also would like to extend my thanks and appreciation for all he has contributed to this forum and the world of engraving.

One of my favorite tips was the gravers made from carbide aircraft drills and square brass stock. I use them a LOT.

Also thanks to Sam for creating and hosting this site.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Lee no one could say it better...
John B and I got off on the wrong track when I first started engraving and through time John and I have talked and I had no idea who he was...
After meeting John and Ray at Scotts engrave-in in 2007 I found he's everything everyone has said about him...
Thank you John for being so forgiving and understanding from someone who has made a fool of himself more than once...
Hope to seeya soon...

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thank you, Peter E. I look forward to meeting you too.
Is Canton near Bozrah, CT and have you met Ray Phillips of Ngraver?
There is one talented guy with a long history in engraving.

Jerry, thank you for your kind words.
Many of my good friendships have gotten off on the wrong foot.
We all do it sometimes but it's the big person that corrects it, thank you.
Anyway, you didn't notice it slowing me down on the giant shrimp you brought to Scott's.
Best.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I believe that as we get older we learn to appreciate and cherish the friendships we've built over time. As Mark Twain said of friendships: "those built upon a rock, and not upon the sands that dissolve away with the ebbing tides."