Oldies for sale.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's the text that should have been attached to that link.

Holland and Holland, London. Magnificent and absolutely unique matched pair of “1985 Sesquicentennial Royal de Luxeâ€￾ double rifles in .470 NE embellished by master engraver Phil Coggan, ca.1985 - Price $450,000

©All photos Copyright Lewis Drake and Associates
Holland and Holland, London. Magnificent and absolutely unique matched pair of “1985 Sesquicentennial Royal de Luxeâ€￾ double rifles in .470 NE embellished by master engraver Phil Coggan, ca.1985. Each rifle weighs in at 9 Lbs. 9 oz. Stock Dimensions: 14 3/8â€￾x 1 ¼â€￾x 2 ¼â€￾x ¼â€￾ cast-off (the second rifle identical except LOP is 15â€￾). 24â€￾ chopper-lump steel barrels with quarter rib. Rear sights have one standing leaf (50/100 yd) and one folding leaf (200 yds). Ramp front sights with folding twilight bead. Classic Holland, hand-detachable sidelock, actions with bushed firing pins, hidden third fastener, and ejectors are engraved in elegant bold scroll and stunning bulino game scenes depicting elephant and cape buffalo. You will notice that the locks are photographed with standard lock screws, however, each gun is accompanied with the typical Holland hand-detachable screws in a separate compartment within each case along with spare firing pins for each rifle. This magnificent pair of rifles was made to order for two brothers who, for whatever reason, never got a chance to use them and they both remain in pristine, unfired, original condition throughout. Absolutely unique!

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Does anyone have $450,000 they can lend me on a permanent bases?

Way those are beautiful. What a treasure for anyone who buys them.

Mike

It would be nice to be so rich you can treat a nearly half million dollars pair of guns like they came from the rack in the hardware store. Even if I were filthy rich I'd NEVER even think of laying them out on the driveway like that. :(

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My god...I thought you were kidding. He DID lay them on the driveway for a photo. :eek: What a bloody idiot.

But great guns with great engraving! Always a pleasure to see work of this caliber. Thanks Phil!

JJ Roberts

If I had that kind of money St Jude's and the Sharers children's hospital's would be the places I'd spent on. J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I had that kind of money St Jude's and the Sharers children's hospital's would be the places I'd spent on. J.J.

That could be said about anything we engravers create, be they guns, knives, jewelry, or whatever. We are in the business of luxury items that nobody needs. Most people who spend on luxury items have other money they give to charity.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Unless there is a hidden cloth underneath the leather cases, that guy is not on my list of people to visit. One would also think that the tree trunk is the most unsuitable of photographic backgrounds to use in the photography. The trunk appears to be upright, and I'd like to think someone is holding the items in place so someone can take the photos. However, he does not have my endorsement for the leather case issue.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When these were done I had only been engraving a short time, hence the nieve scroll, but they are what they are and the engraving is part of my story :)

Phil

DakotaDocMartin

Unless there is a hidden cloth underneath the leather cases, that guy is not on my list of people to visit. One would also think that the tree trunk is the most unsuitable of photographic backgrounds to use in the photography. The trunk appears to be upright, and I'd like to think someone is holding the items in place so someone can take the photos. However, he does not have my endorsement for the leather case issue.

How about page 2 of the photos where the pair lay right on the pavement?

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So..............who is backing up the truck and how is his eye sight? Wish it was in my drive way.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
When these were done I had only been engraving a short time, hence the nieve scroll, but they are what they are and the engraving is part of my story :)

Phil

They are still remarkable, a testament and legacy of your engraving and will hopefully remain a part of history..... when you engraved those guns I was still in H.S..

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I didn't review page 2 until after Doc's comment. I couldn't bear to look any longer, and my offer, now, would just plummet to $45k for the pair, instead of the ten fold asking price (if they're for sale, at all). Treatment of such rifles would be akin to bug removal on your brand new Rolls with 60X Scotchbrite!

ghostdncr

Spectacular work, Phil! That said, I'm of a mind the seller should be horse whipped for laying those guns on a driveway. I wouldn't pose a Mossberg pump in such a fashion, but likely I was just raised in a different world...

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Hummm..... $450.000,00 seems to be a great price when you compare to a Parker Invincible or even an original A1, you do not only have a great collectible set but also two high quality firearms.