Nickel Pendants

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
This is the first time I've posted my work on this engraving forum. I like the minimalist approach and do mostly wiggle/push engraving.

Here are a couple of recently completed pendants made from modern nickels that I domed using a ball peen hammer. They are wiggle/push graved followed by scraping and burnishing.

All critique and advice is welcome.

John Anderson
Havre, Montana

Attachments

• nickelfeb2012_sm.jpg
    nickelfeb2012_sm.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 464
  • img_5720_sm.jpg
    img_5720_sm.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 464

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I prefer the one on the right as well. You seem to have no problem excavating the material and getting a deep 3D look and that's good. Perhaps some work in the design department is in order, and that will come with practice. I applaud your efforts! :thumbsup:

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the comments. I was experimenting with different styles. The nickel on the right was a little over three times the hours of the one on the left. The one on the left is mostly line but I just couldn't make it pop like I'd like. Better shading lines and more practice.....

John

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
John,

I always enjoy seeing your work... The relief engraving is very cool. That's allot of work... I still remember that cool chromed zippo you did a while back.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I stopped in at John's today for the first time. I want him to post some good close up photos of a bracelet that he engraved. Especially of the pebbles. With John's permission I will tell you what makes his work so impressive. I promise it will humble you as much as it humbled me. I know that I don't have his talent and I don't know anyone else that does either.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes the one on the right, but if the shading on the left one would have more blacks, it could do too.
Try to taper the shading line a bit more there where they join.

arnaud

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Leonard,

Your forgot to tell them how slow I work. The nickels above are a old post and below are few others I've done in the past. I'm currently working on an airplane which means there has been no carving for about a month or two. I'm a hobby carver and try not to make time an issue when I carve.

Thanks for stopping in and I hope to see you again when your driving through scenic Havre. Doors always open.

John Anderson
Havre, Montana

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
If you don't mind me asking. Do you leave the back of the pendant as a nickel or do you do away with any trace of the nickel?. I just made my first nickel pendant and left no trace of the nickel. But people keep saying I should so others would know what it was made from?

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
When I started I pounded them mostly smooth. I soon learned that people are fascinated with them being made from nickels and started leaving traces of the nickel on the back. Just traces as often I carve personal messages on the back. I do dog tags out of nickels for family pets.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Well from what I've seen you work is awesome . So its not that uncommon then for people to want trace amounts of the nickel. I stippled the back of mine gave it a more professional look in my opinion. But gotta give the people what they want right. Thanks. I was just wondering if it would look amateur if I left parts of the nickel, or if its an excepted quality.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks. I was just wondering if it would look amateur if I left parts of the nickel, or if its an excepted quality.

A few of things I should mention. Don't confuse what I do with the work of the many excellent Hobo Nickel Carvers. The wants of their collectors are pretty specific. My nickels are modern and are just a handy source of material. I actually like the newer style nickels versus ones from the 1970's as they seem to shine up better.

I hope my work looks a bit amateur. This is just a hobby and a therapy for me and I'm a little over the hill for a new profession. I carve for carvings sake and as a way to take my mind of my aches and pain. 95% of the time it's given away as a gift and the other 5% I carve for me. I did try to sell a few things but it took the fun away trying to meet schedules and expectations. What I'm saying is there are better tools and methods than mine if your trying to make a living as an engraver. My methods are fun and inexpensive but not very productive. Those pictures are a good portion of my output over the past few years.

I also like fabricating my own toys. I'm currently building a pocket knife for myself and looking forward to carving my first silver bolsters. Once you carve copper and silver it hard to go back to nickels.

Thank you for your comments and posting your work.

John

Last edited:

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Spoken with passion.. well I thank you for taking the time to share you beautiful work. Do what makes you happy. I'm young and still seeking acceptance. I guess That's probably why I aggravate that older wiser engravers on the forum. I think I came in thinking the engraving world was like everything else I have dealt with in the past. Competitive. But its the opposite. Thank you again for showing your talents.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Jared,

I like your enthusiasm, drive and participation. I like your work. I especially like the carving on 870 stock. Your going to do fine.

I'm still competitive but these days I try and lull my opponents into complacency and take advantage when their not looking. Push comes to shove I'm striving to be the best damn artist on this forum and sometimes my misplaced ego thinks I am. And then Phil Coogan, Marcus Hunt, Barry Lee Hands, Sam, the other SamW, Weldon Lister and a bunch of other post their work and I'm once again a humble man. It's striving to to be competitive with best that makes us all better at what we do. If oldsters get grumpy it's because your making them nervous.

John

Last edited:

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I try to get better with each new project. Thanks for the complement. I do have another question though. Do you use any super stones for smoothing out your sculpted parts. I been looking at buying some but wanted to know if there really worth the investment.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
>"Do you use any super stones for "

I don't but I'm thinking I should. Getting my work super smooth is a problem and I'm not really happy with that aspect. Mirth and Jim Kelso use them and that's all the recommendation I need.

Latest posts

Sponsors