Ngraver Company?

ShaneMac

Greetings,

Looking to get into hammer and chisel engraving, and bought the steel graver handle a while back. Was looking to buying some gravers, but I haven't been able to contact the company recently. Is the company still in business? The beginner graver kit seems like a good fit for me, but as of right now they're unobtainable for me. Don't take this information from me as such, however this has been my experience after trying to contact using the company phone number over the past 4 days at varying times.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Greetings,

Looking to get into hammer and chisel engraving, and bought the steel graver handle a while back. Was looking to buying some gravers, but I haven't been able to contact the company recently. Is the company still in business? The beginner graver kit seems like a good fit for me, but as of right now they're unobtainable for me. Don't take this information from me as such, however this has been my experience after trying to contact using the company phone number over the past 4 days at varying times.
Many have reported them being unresponsive. I think the owner's son took over but they don't see to be very interested in business for some reason.

There are lots of suppliers for gravers. GRS, Rio Grande, Gesswein and others have them.

ShaneMac

Thanks for the info, coincidentally I have the your handle from GRS in my cart to replace the one I have now, since it'll be much easier for me to just find gravers that have a shank that naturally fit into the handle, thus I'm switching over to the GRS Quick-Change system as well.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Shane, You can reach Ngraver at 1-860-892-9015 and ask for Brian he has the steel handles your looking for. J.J.

ShaneMac

Shane, You can reach Ngraver at 1-860-892-9015 and ask for Brian he has the steel handles your looking for. J.J.
Unfortunately I've called using that number on multiple occasions at differing days, and differing in times. I already have the steel handles, what I was looking to buy was the beginner engraving kit that comes with several generic gravers with a shank that fits into the Belgium Steel handle. Going to take Sam's recommendation, and get my tools from GRS

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Greetings,

Lindsay makes a hammer and chisel handle

Sam

Staff member
I really like wooden handled chisels. I started with die maker's chisels and later bought a couple of Ngraver steel handles. After using McKenzie's wooden handles I made the switch. I don't think they're any better than anything else. I just prefer the feel.

The GRS set with quick change sure makes it nice since you don't have to have 2 dozen chisels on your bench that have gravers permanently mounted. Plus they look nice with the bronze fittings.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I /bought half a dozen of Rays wood handles after he retired . I like the wood also I think it absorbs some of the shock. Don’t use them much but I like them on my bench as a reminder of a fine gentleman.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have observed that, in general, Belgian, French, and Italian engravers prefer the long square section metal handles while German and Austrian engravers prefer a shorter, turned wooden handle that mushrooms on the hammer end. It is the tool that they are trained with. I don't know what British gun engravers prefer. It seems like every picture of a British engraver shows a push graver.

Pictured are Doreen Grill, Anke Brandt, Judith Gessner, and Burkhald Hafner, all of Germany. Next are Claudio Cremeni-Italy, Felix Funken and Jean Francois Dubois-Belgium, Laura Vibrioni-Italy, then Louis Leforestier of France.

Attachments

• Doreen Grill-Merkel 2011.jpg
    Doreen Grill-Merkel 2011.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Anke Brandt 2013-H&C.jpg
    Anke Brandt 2013-H&C.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Judith Gessner-Suhl.jpg
    Judith Gessner-Suhl.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Burkhald Hafner, -Merkel 2011.jpg
    Burkhald Hafner, -Merkel 2011.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Claudio Cremini.JPG
    Claudio Cremini.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Félix Funken 1888-1965.jpg
    Félix Funken 1888-1965.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Jean Francois Dubois 3.jpg
    Jean Francois Dubois 3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Laura Vibrioni-Gardone 6-10.jpg
    Laura Vibrioni-Gardone 6-10.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Louis Leforestier-3.jpg
    Louis Leforestier-3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 92

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Roger, may I ask the last photo of Louis. It appears he has a wood hammer head attached to the side his chasing hammer

Sam

Staff member
I have observed that, in general, Belgian, French, and Italian engravers prefer the long square section metal handles while German and Austrian engravers prefer a shorter, turned wooden handle that mushrooms on the hammer end. It is the tool that they are trained with. I don't know what British gun engravers prefer. It seems like every picture of a British engraver shows a push graver.

Pictured are Doreen Grill, Anke Brandt, Judith Gessner, and Burkhald Hafner, all of Germany. Next are Claudio Cremeni-Italy, Felix Funken and Jean Francois Dubois-Belgium, Laura Vibrioni-Italy, then Louis Leforestier of France.

Ken Hunt said he'd never engraved with hammer & chisel until Rene Delcour showed him how. Ken taught McKenzie to use h&c and Lynton's preference was short wooden handles.

Here are a couple of Lynton's early chisels, presumably from his time in England. They are common square gravers that are most likely tool steel, which would date them very early (since I knew him he always used 3/32" Momax cobalt). He did some of the world's finest work with small handled chisels, so there doesn't seem to be an ideal size.

Attachments

• AE88B41A-6971-439E-870B-3C769059AB24_1_105_c.jpeg
    AE88B41A-6971-439E-870B-3C769059AB24_1_105_c.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 82

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
I liked McKenzie's wooden handles also. I made several out of rosewood with brass ends I turned on my lathe. They are about 3/4" diameter and 4 1/2" long and very comfortable to hold. They had a comforting woody sound when struck unlike metal on metal.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Roger, may I ask the last photo of Louis. It appears he has a wood hammer head attached to the side his chasing hammer
Dave, It is kind of an optical illusion. Below the head of the hammer there is a supporting ring of wood that is turned from the handle. You can see it on Funken's handle.

Germaine09

Greetings,

Hello….my dad, Ray Phillips passed on the company to my brother years ago. He unfortunately has dropped the ball. My dad at 95 has Alzheimer’s and we just lost our mom. I have a few floor model pantographs and some engravers balls to sell, other small items. I’d be looking for an outlet to find this stuff a home if anyone has suggestions. I can try and get you a beginner graver kit if you’re still interested. I found this group as it was just recommended by John Barracloug, a personal friend of my dads.

Andrew Biggs

I am so sorry to hear that your mother has passed.........And that Ray has Alzheimers. That is very sad to hear.

I have very fond memories of Ray at the FEGA shows. He had a real love of the art of engraving and tools. He was always great company and a great sense of humour and had a real twinkle in his eye.

Cheers
Andrew

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Germaine,

My condolences on your mother's passing. I am saddened to hear that your dad is suffering from Alzheimers. For many years, Ray was a beloved figure at the FEGA and gun shows. I always enjoyed chatting with him and have many of his fine products. Nearly every gun engraver in America used his beading punches and liners as they are the best ever made.

I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that your day is so well liked by so many people in the engraving trade.

Below is a picture of Ray and I at the 2010 FEGA show.

Attachments

• Ray J Phillips & CRB.jpg
    Ray J Phillips & CRB.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 22

Germaine09

Germaine,

My condolences on your mother's passing. I am saddened to hear that your dad is suffering from Alzheimers. For many years, Ray was a beloved figure at the FEGA and gun shows. I always enjoyed chatting with him and have many of his fine products. Nearly every gun engraver in America used his beading punches and liners as they are the best ever made.

I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that your day is so well liked by so many people in the engraving trade.

Below is a picture of Ray and I at the 2010 FEGA show.
Thank you so much Roger, your words mean the world…..those shows were the highlight of his life! It is beyond heartbreaking to watch this happen. I take comfort in the fact that he isn’t aware of my mom passing, he would surely die of a broken heart. They would have celebrated 72 years this spring.

Sponsors