Announcement: New video: LETTERING TECHNIQUES FOR HAND ENGRAVERS

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for the explanation Saw. I always used a compass with a pencil on the end. That's why I asked. Where do you get these brass pins and how do you attach them?

It's entirely homemade. I turned the pin on a lathe and it's riveted to the steel square stock.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
At the brass pin factory....

In your shop - at your bench. (or at someone elses place & bench?)

Brass rod (diameter to fit your compass), sumthin' to chop it to length, a stone or lap and a flexshaft to chuck it into...

Spin it to shape on the coarser grits. Maybe refine on sandpaper? Polish if you like?

B.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Sam
I took Mike Dubbers class on lettering a couple of years ago and it really gave me a good start in letter engraving as part of my Engraving business, However i can see by the demo video there is a whole lot more to learn. I have ordered my copy of your lettering video and am anxious to get it in the mail.
Thanks again for all your insight and techniques on lettering design. I have ordered the DVD from you and have never had you sign any of them. If it is possible would you mind signing my copy before you ship it.
Thanks again
Bill

Sam

Staff member
marking_device.jpg

Here's a closeup of my marking device. I was wrong, the brass pin isn't riveted. I have a stop that's riveted on the opposite end of the steel to keep the sliding brass part from sliding off.

I drew some scrollwork on it and was going to engrave it, but never got around to it :confused:

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
I downloaded the video on 4/5 and viewed it. It would be helpful if the drawings on cuts could be
printed or supplied as PDF files to have at the bench until it sinks in.

Sam

Staff member
I downloaded the video on 4/5 and viewed it. It would be helpful if the drawings on cuts could be
printed or supplied as PDF files to have at the bench until it sinks in.

Thanks for your feedback. I will certainly give that some thought.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I find bright cut script or engravers script very interesting. It really is amazing how so many different engravers use completely different tools but ultimately end up with a very similar end result.

Sam

Staff member
I find bright cut script or engravers script very interesting. It really is amazing how so many different engravers use completely different tools but ultimately end up with a very similar end result.

Indeed, Bert. It can be cut with many point gravers as well as flats. Whatever gives you the best results is what you should use. For me it's a flat graver.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

I looked at the video preview of your new Lettering DVD, downloaded it last night, and look forward to studying the full course at my leisure...wait a minute, I do not have leisure!

Anyway, knowing that my present interest for flute ornamentation is gilded flare cut, Sam's video is a great study in the use of clean, no heel-drag flat-graver cutting, of which he is a master. There are many masterful lettering engravers, and I will not mention any by name, for fear of leaving some out. Yet Sam's clarity of video making, combined with his flat graver close ups is a must for those wanting to get finesse, whether in lettering, Western Bright, or "Mike Dubber" Mid Western Bright. Again, my sincere thanks to Mike D for his friendly and generous nudge on the use of flats having his own geometry. I still have lots to learn.

With the advent of very clear, close-up video now taking hold, as well as kits and courses on classic engraving designs ready for transfer, today's beginning engravers have a huge advantage in their learning curve. If you cannot be sitting by the elbow of acknowledged master/teachers, the next best thing to be doing includes amassing some of the new DVD's for your reference library.

Rod

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Rod, your comments and kind words are very much appreciated :) I'll be looking forward to seeing some examples when you get some leisure time from your flute making!

Once again...thank you.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Make sure before doing lettering that you can spell correctly.
Way too many errors i notice just reading the forum, we all make the odd spelling mistake, but even using the wrong word is quit common i notice.:rolleyes:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK, I just can't help myself. Gemsetterchris, were you trying to be clever or just seeing if any one would catch the irony of your last sentence? "but even using the wrong word is quit (quite) common i (I) notice." He, he, he.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Well, I spotted that example & decided to leave it in.;)
I`ll let you find the example in a heading on the main forum at the moment...
Just thought it might be useful to be aware these days with all the bad gramma wots about.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Sam

I got my Lettering DVD in the mail and went through it a couple of times. Excellent information. One thing though on the Leaf lettering design is there a certain font you use to add the leafs to?
Thanks again for a wonderful video. One more thing Mike Dubber has a casting of Script Cut letters you can get from him if anyone is interested. I use it often

Sam

Staff member
Sam

I got my Lettering DVD in the mail and went through it a couple of times. Excellent information. One thing though on the Leaf lettering design is there a certain font you use to add the leafs to?
Thanks again for a wonderful video. One more thing Mike Dubber has a casting of Script Cut letters you can get from him if anyone is interested. I use it often

Bill: It's not a font, but a vertical engraver's script letter. I just didn't use hairlines and kept the letter thick so I could add leaf elements.

I'm glad you like the DVD :)

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Sam,

It is DVD's for my reference library.
I am waiting for the next, please

LVVP (Vlad, Toronto)

Sponsors