Critique Request My “arnaud fine scrollâ€￾ practice [photo]

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks you Marcus for guiding me and make clear one of the basic rules that is needed to do this style.
I hope your health will get better soon.
I made a pre order on 'English Fine Scroll - Construction & Application" 'special edition' set but I probably can't wait to start with the next step, cutting these designs.

The cutting I will do step by step and show them, I think I know those rules but I hope you can keep an eye on it and give me some feedback in between the nursery. As you said, my cutting skills wont be the problem.

Get well soon, arnaud

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here I go again, showing my today cutting on this EFS adventure.
Remember, this one still has the same size as the first attempt I showed. 50mm wide.

First I did cut the scrolls the best I can, then using a pencil trying equal space for the leaves. After that I cut the second cut that makes an even smaller turn on the bottom of the leaves.
I didn't cut them all but I think I should, even the smallest ones.
Finally I cut the smallest one.

I'm aware that it would be an illusion thinking I have it all right. :(
Next I will cut the outside work and finally add some shading.

Critique is welcome and I hope Marcus is already less ill.

arnaud

Last edited:

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Let me help you a bitt. Don't get me wrong your on the good path!

Your scroll shape is quit ok, but the white line you have of you backbone is way to thick, It looks like the inner leafs are glued to the backbone of the scroll you wan them to be longer from fine to wider. Then your english scroll will become alive. If you finish your scroll you want to have a nice ball and al these balls must have the same diameter.. For the size of the ball is say two times the diameter of the white line of the backbone. When you have a look of the drawing i posted you see how i shape my scroll the space for the leafs stays the same everywhere and an nice ball helps doing that because if you don't have a ball ore it's to small your leafs will get smaller and you have difficulties following the shape.

Here some pictures of my personalized english scroll shaded before you go personalizing start with the base.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud
My slant on Willem's critique is the scrolls on the left side all flow the same, up or down. Then on the right side you have a scroll on the top and on the bottom that do not follow your flow. For me they draw the eye due to a lack of continuity. This was addressed in a similar situation recently concerning one of Sebastian Leyh's scrolls. Both layouts look good and to the untrained eye there is nothing wrong with either one. The bottom line is "Are YOU pleased with it ?".
Jeff

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Bram, your leaves idd look different than mine. Indeed my white space (stem size?) on the scroll is way to wide. I understand they should overlap each other, that is what I see on yours.
That way the leaves grow from the front of the scroll.
I probably will need some more practicing before I have it right. :)

While you made your reply I made some corrections myself.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud
My slant on Willem's critique is the scrolls on the left side all flow the same, up or down. Then on the right side you have a scroll on the top and on the bottom that do not follow your flow. For me they draw the eye due to a lack of continuity. This was addressed in a similar situation recently concerning one of Sebastian Leyh's scrolls. Both layouts look good and to the untrained eye there is nothing wrong with either one. The bottom line is "Are YOU pleased with it ?".
Jeff

Jeff, on what are you replying? The design, the first cutting or the second cutting?

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bram, when I did my first try, I started opposite. Instead of starting the first leave on the outside, I started at the end of the scroll, on the ball like you cal it. That way it was easier to see the size of the leave to make them equal.
Tomorrow when making the corrections on another try, I will again cut from the inside to the outside, I think that makes sense.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will start a new tread now, as one could lose the overall view. Perhaps it needs some more shading on the leaves

Anyway Here is my last attempt, I'm pretty pleased with the result except about the outside work.

arnaud

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The double cuts are looking good now Arnaud!

Amazing how your eye turns those two cuts into a neat little knob, isn't it?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Sam Steve Bildo and Ray, I see the progress I'm making, bt still not there.
Tomorrow I will do some more till I think it is good enough to cut the whole design on the real one, Ti grade 5°

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors