Critique Request My “arnaud fine scrollâ€￾ practice [photo]

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,
Looks like you've made a lot of progress. I hope you can see now what I was talking about in my first post. Looking at the design you worked up before switching around those red scrolls, it looked spot on except for the end scrolls which you fixed. The one thing I think Willem didn't understand and I don't know if Marcus pointed out is that it's ok that those 2 scrolls pointed inward. As long as they don't grow back towards the start, it's fine. They actually add interest in my opinion. If you look closely at that Spiderco the Marcus put up, it has the same inward growing scroll.
I also agree with you that making mistakes while working makes the lesson sink in that much more. I know it has worked that way for me.
Layne Z

Layne, thanks for your help as well. Indeed I think the red ones who did grow the right direction in the first place, indeed need to grow away from the starter scroll. I did it by coincidence, but now that you point on that it makes sense.
I'm glad you share my point of view that learning from mistakes is the way to go. I also think a lot of us are learning a lot from my mistakes.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, you could be right, I see one small one growing a bit to its origin.

The two designs at the bottom, the small scroll next to the origin scroll in a way they grow back worth.

arnaud

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Those two only need to be tucked in a little tighter. If you start them from farther inside the V formed by the starter and the next larger, it might solve the problem. It will also solve the problem of them hanging in space.
Layne

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another little spot I see that's not wrong, just causes problems when it comes time to cut the inside work, is on the bottom two designs. Look at the bottom right design. The scrolls that come off the starter on the bottom. They originate from two spaced out points along the spine of the starter. If they originate from the same point, it flows better and leaves less space to fill when it comes time to do the inside work.
Your top bracelet design doesn't have wide spaces like this.
Layne

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
NO NO NO, those red scrolls are WRONG!!! They should grow like the smaller scrolls do in your top design - everything growing away from the starter and not back towards it.

What you really need to adjust is the scrolls your red scrolls are growing from. They are growing in the same direction as the starter scroll, remember alternate. You have scrolls growing in two different directions from the starter scroll so one of them has to be wrong.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK, seems we all work faster and loose what is what

so here is the design after I corrected a big error

arnaud

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was so focused on the small one that I didn't even see that. I think you must have been correcting as Marcus was typing. But I still think the little one is off in space. Should look more like the one on the second large one from the starter.
I can't see the forest because of the trees.
Layne

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another little spot I see that's not wrong, just causes problems when it comes time to cut the inside work, is on the bottom two designs. Look at the bottom right design. The scrolls that come off the starter on the bottom. They originate from two spaced out points along the spine of the starter. If they originate from the same point, it flows better and leaves less space to fill when it comes time to do the inside work.
Your top bracelet design doesn't have wide spaces like this.
Layne

Yes I see what you mean by "They originate from two spaced out points along the spine of the starter. If they originate from the same point, it flows better and leaves less space to fill when it comes time to do the inside work" but they are meant to start from the same point, is just isn't a 100% at the right place.

arnaud

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Slide those little ones down until the knob touches the starter. Get's rid of that gap and solves some future problems. (the one's you had marked in red)
Layne

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bingo. One thing I'm learning about fine English is that you can't take things for granted. I suppose that's true for any engraving but especially so here.
Now I gotta get into my own shop and scratch out some money. Nice work Arnaud and thanks for posting it all.
Layne

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok Marcus, seems you can't resist even not being well. thanks for that

Here are the ones in red I corrected so they now all flow away from the starter scroll / origin

arnaud

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Well done Arnaud, amazing how confused the brain gets with a few scrolls, good job someone invented alcohol :D

Latest posts

Sponsors