Meiji microscopes

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not selling microscopes. I'm informing potential buyers of ten available meiji microscopes priced at $400.00.
These are on ebay #180085624730. Read every thing carefully before you buy. These are not up for bid, but priced firm at $400.00.
Please do not shoot the messinger. I do not get a commision for this!

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Anyone know the difference between stereo zoom and binocular zoom? Or is there any? They are listed as an EMZ, like most of us use, but some say binocular zoom, and some say stereo.:confused: Brian

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Brian,
You want the stereo zoom. Sam I think all grs stations at the school are EMZ stereo zooms. Please correct if I'm wrong.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Glenn: Yes, the GRS scopes are EMZ 5's.
The scopes on Ebay come with 15x eyepieces as standard. You'll want 10x eyepieces. I think Scott uses 20x, but 10x will give you a wider field of view and that's what most engravers use. You'll also need a 0.5x objective lens. Keep these things in mind before you bid as you could be looking at an additional $100-$200 plus a stand, unless you can find them used at a good price.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a set 5x , 10x and 20x eyepieces. mostly I use the 10x though. I don't use the .5 objective though, it makes it too tall for me sit comfortably.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I think in the add on ebay it says that they have 10x, 15x,20x and you are to contact them for the eyepiece power that you desire. When I bought mine I requested 10x and got them. Sam is correct on the $100.00 for an objective lens. I also bought a .3 objective lense for when I work on larger items I can extend the field even more.

JTR

It says the scopes magnification is .7 to 4.5 power. So with the 10 power eye pieces, is the final magnifacation 7 to 45 power?
Obviously I don't know much about microscopes! The price seems right and I'm wondering if this would be a good choice for a beginner?
John

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, your correct on the magnification. When you add on the .5 objective lens then you cut the magnification in half. I think for most people that is the range you want to be in.

Biorka

Thanks? for the tip Glenn! I just bought one of the Meiji scopes on e-bay. Will let you all know how (if) things work out, in case anyone else is contemplating a purchase.
Barry
Sitka, Alaska

Last edited:

fred carter

Glenn - here is something else to consider - I bought a fiber optic ring light (for twice the price) and the illumination is great from all angles, there is no comparison when it comes to the florescent ring light-- another thing is that the intensity can be increased to make up for the light loss as the working distance increases. Also the illumination cold as the light itself is in the control box. Ebay #7612205819 -- Fred

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Good point Fred. I bought an LED ring light for $39.00, as you said, with a variable control. I love it. With these old eyes of mine, it really helps.:D This is the cheapo version of what you are talking about. So far it is worth the money. The add says it's good for 100,000 hrs.
Only time will tell.

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll second the fiberoptic light system. They have been part of my setup since I first got the microscope 18-19 years ago. Although I don't like the rings, the light too even and hard to see shadow effects in bulino IMO and I personally find the lower depth caused by the rings annoying when doing verticalish work like inlay setting. I much prefer the wands. better shadow effect and you can twist around somewhere else if you want to thow light on something off in a corner.

YMMV

All that said I have ring I would like to sell ha ha

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I like the light from fiber optic lights, but don't like the box, heat, and noise it makes. I've tried an LED ring light but it reflected pinpoints of light on brightly polished metal which drove me nuts. I've stuck with my fluorescent ring light, but wouldn't mind trying something else.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ah grasshopper, you must realize the full beauty of the wand. If your wand is long enough, your pleasure if full.....

ok, seriously, get a long wand, and the noise, heat, and box are above your head and out of sight, out of mind. And as I say, that long wand gets snaked around into different corners when I am doing other odd things in the shop.

And the beauty of fiberoptic, is if you are working on a higly polished piece and a lot of light is getting reflected back through the scope into your eyes, then you can dial the intesity down to were your eyes don't have as much strain on them. Working on something darker and need the extra light? dial it up and you have plenty.

Last edited:

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
Glenn.
Some info on the LEDs you'll have problems with the power supply's and the wires to them before the LED's will give out. The LED's have a 11year life on them and what that means is they won't go out, but they will lose some of the lumes (brightness) of the LED.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the tip. I'll pay attention for these problems. I've probably got 35 hours on this light which of course is nothing at this point in time. The thing I like about this light is there are no shadows around my graver regardless of the movement. My eyes are not young so any help in seeing the lines and the tip of the graver is a big help.

Latest posts

Sponsors