Master Class (e.g Grand Masters)

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,

The way to cast that spirit of insecurity out, is to be proud of what you have achieved, glory in the grace you have acquired, as it is the gift of your hard work, and realize that we all started at the same place you did long ago. You have taken on no easy task.

Because we have more years doesn't make us better than you. Actually it makes you the very same as us, maybe just at an earlier place in time and space. It only means that we might have a little more exerience. That is what you can gain now, and are in the process of doing. And any way to speed that up is to your benifit.

You know though, you are exactly right about the business part (whole new ball game) of the trade and just as important when you are attempting to make a living of engraving. Tools are such a small part of it all, but at the same time essential. You can get tools easy nowadays. You cannot get experience without a lot of time, even years sometimes.

But don't lock yourself in my friend. Get out there! Expose your work wherever you can. Go to local shows, hand out thousands of cards, and shake people's hands. The public is more forgiving than you might think, and you will get a good reception, which goes a long way to diminishing that insecurity. Never pass up an opportunity to show people how you do what you do. Just don't limit yourself to doing one kind of engraving. Be a master of it all, and you will stay busy enough to make a go of it. You can switch totally to your greatest love later if you wish, ornamental engraving. I had to put it on the back burner more often than not, but I still found time to do it all along the way. It was all a part of my conglomerate work load.

As long as you keep going back to the well to get renewed, you will be okay. you get my drift.

I do admit though, that it always pays to remain humble in all things. I see genuiness in that, and that is probably the most important thing of all. That deep sincerity will pay you back one day, and the trail you walked and left behind will be straight and true..............but then, that is your destiny, and your trail is what it is all about anyway, is it not?

Be proud that you can create things that speak to other men's spirits in other times, as that inspires them to do great things too. It is not important to go at it to be a 'Master", but rather go at it to be the best you can be at any given point in time with what you have, because you are already that master, and time will reveal that. All you need is experience, and do not dissapoint that greatness that is within.

Ron S

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,

I have been rushing around, and only just catching up with some of the posts. Thank you for your contributions and also to the others that followed from yours.

I am harking back to your good rendering of "Streets of London" a couple of years back at the Weekend, and to some nice conversations with you and your dad.

As I follow world events on the BBC4 radio, I note that all is not well in UK banks and my Bank of Scotland, founded in the 1600's may be taken over by an English bank, so y'all take care of those weird looking Scottish pound notes. The financial tsunami, starting in the US, is making waves over a wide area! Probably better to be an independent one-person craftsperson in these times rather than huge company?

best

Rod

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Rod,

As the old Chinese curse goes "May you live in 'interesting' times!" well, I think it has come to pass. Times are indeed very 'interesting'. The main thing that seems to be happening is that the banks are refusing to lend one another money and that is having a knock on effect into the general economy. I have no doubt that things will turn around, but when and how and what carnage will be left in the wake, who knows? One part of me says "Stuff the lot of them and their greedy ways! You got us into this mess, get us out of it!!!" to Wall St and The City. But another part of me realises that we need a stable banking system or God knows what chaos will ensue. My market has always been fairly recession proof in the past, 9/11 had a knock on effect though and I'm hoping this mess will be quickly cleared up. It seems the ultra wealthy will always have money to spend (that is my market) but if they get frightened to spend then we'd better watch out!

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is an unusual turn of events, Marcus,

A propo: will the economy bite the engraver's income. We were all wondering about that at the Weekend as we drank our coffee. Some will stay above the financial fray, having established a sound reputation with high end customers, others may have to belt tighten.

Many members of the forums engrave fire arms. My main work is wood flutes with some engraving. Last week the world's biggest firearms institution, the US Army, just gave me yet another order for six more flutes !! Now they will get a total of ten for their Fife and Drum Corps, a group of friendly and excellent musicians who want to expand from outdoor displays to indoor quieter, shall we say, dinner music. I said yes to the order. It cannot hurt if the generals in their smoke filled rooms are soothed by some Purcell, or Bach, helping to keep the mind clear, so that the correct decisions are made?

best

Rod

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I personally thought it looked like a muzzle loader with it's long gracefully embellished tube. James Bond issue