Marius Mellebye - EngraverHand Designs and Artwork

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Beautiful design and great cutting. But honestly, those thousand horizontal background cuts are a trip. Incredible.

Allan

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
Wonderful Marius!! How is it to cut ss410 compared to ss416 ?

Jørn-Ove
Thanks all! :) Jørn-Ove, I havent started with the 410 yet so not sure, but I´m very exited about it, but has some things to finish first.. but the 416 is lovely.. so I have to get back to the 410´s :)

BWoodworker

And a little tiny inlay practice.. for a future project. Just want to make sure I get them right.. :)

The graver just for size reference.. and it covers the inlay.

View attachment 52176
Stunning work!

A few questions if I may. What are you using for ink for darkening the lines? How are you transferring the layout on this small of a scale or are you free handing? I assume you are using a microscope?

Thank you in advance.

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
Stunning work!

A few questions if I may. What are you using for ink for darkening the lines? How are you transferring the layout on this small of a scale or are you free handing? I assume you are using a microscope?

Thanks! :) For now I´m just using a Sharpie pen for the photos.. it´s just a practice plate for an upcoming project, just to make sure they are tight :) Then I would use etching ink. The design is freehand drawin with a pencil.. just dab a little wax and draw carefully with a pencil and I engrave. Yes, for me it would be impossible without a microscope at this size, especially with the shading details..

lisandros

Estoy trabajando en mi primer colgante de titanio. Creo que es grado 2 y el titanio es totalmente nuevo para mí. Siempre tuve un poco de miedo de intentarlo y rechacé muchos trabajos con titanio porque no tenía ninguna experiencia con él. De todos modos, este grado 2 corta muy bien y es muy agradable trabajar con él. Al menos me estoy divirtiendo con ello.

Estoy usando los gravers M48 y no se rompe la punta como tenía "miedo"... hasta ahora:)

lisandros

¡Gracias! :)Por ahora solo estoy usando un lápiz Sharpie para las fotos... es solo una placa de práctica para un próximo proyecto, solo para asegurarme de que estén bien ajustadas. :) Luego usaría tinta de grabado. El diseño es un dibujo a mano alzada con un lápiz. Solo aplica un poco de cera y dibuja con cuidado con un lápiz y lo grabo. Sí, para mí sería imposible sin un microscopio de este tamaño, especialmente con los detalles de sombreado.
hola el material del buril es M42? Gracias

BWoodworker

Thanks! :) For now I´m just using a Sharpie pen for the photos.. it´s just a practice plate for an upcoming project, just to make sure they are tight :) Then I would use etching ink. The design is freehand drawin with a pencil.. just dab a little wax and draw carefully with a pencil and I engrave. Yes, for me it would be impossible without a microscope at this size, especially with the shading details..
Thank you for the tips. That is exactly the kind of scale and work I would like to be able to ultimately achieve. I appreciate it.

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
hola el material del buril es M42? Gracias
I live in Spain, but I dont really speak well spanish.. anyway I guess you asked what graver I was using. Mostly for stainless I´m using M48. Not fully as hard a carbalt, but way less brittle. I refer to do a little touch up and almost never have any tip breaks :) Theyre great!

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
Love your work Marius, you have a truly unique style which is most inspiring
Thank you very much! :) It´s for sure an honor if I can inspire! If unique I believe it comes from drawing as much and as often as I can.. and trying to push my self to try new things and find what I like and don't like. :)

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
A little more tiny inlay exercise.. Finally knocked 18k rose gold in.. man it´s hard.. very hard. Not even sure I think it was fun, but I got it in and good for the experience account.. defiantly need some more experience with this, but a start. I have a shaky hand so got some funky shading lines, but main goal was to get the rose gold in :)
Rosegold inlay 1 EngraverHand.JPG Drawing plate EngraverHand.JPG Rose gold inlay 3 EngraverHand.JPG

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
Beautifull! The small size makes it extra nice in my opinion.

Did you anneal the wire to soften it after drawing it down to size? If you didn't that should help. If you did then I think there is nothing else to do to make it softer. 24K vs 18K is 25% difference in gold content so that is quite a lot. I don't know if red is more difficult than yellow or white. Nickel white would be the hardest I would guess.

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
Beautifull! The small size makes it extra nice in my opinion.

Did you anneal the wire to soften it after drawing it down to size? If you didn't that should help. If you did then I think there is nothing else to do to make it softer. 24K vs 18K is 25% difference in gold content so that is quite a lot. I don't know if red is more difficult than yellow or white. Nickel white would be the hardest I would guess.
Thank you very much! :) Yea I tried to anneal it but my torch is a little small so I was not able to heat up all the roll at the same time. After I quench it in alcohol, but I´m not sure I´m doing it 100% correct, but it defiantly got more soft.. but I guess like everyone say, rose gold is hard :) I´ll try to get a propane torch and experiment a little.. 24K is just fun, pure fun compared :)

DaveatWeirs

I'm extremely impressed you got the rose gold to behave! I've only ever worked with it as jewellery and my god is it a pain in the ass sometimes, it just does not want to work with you and don't even mention trying to solder it. The most accurate way I've heard it described is that it's like its trying to have an argument with you. must've been a nightmare to inlay

Last edited:

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
I'm extremely impressed you got the rose gold to behave! I've only ever worked with it as jewellery and my god is it a pain in the ass sometimes, it just does not want to work with you and don't even mention trying to solder it. The most accurate way I've heard it described is that it's like its trying to have an argument with you. must've been a nightmare to inlay
When I got it anealed the best I could it was kind of workable.. without it was just like a super annoying spring.. rose gold is hard, no matter way, but a good annealing seems to help.. i got some tips to do it better but I would need a better torch and a stone to heat it up on. I´ll work on it.. :)

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
Finally made myself a little organized tool holder in leather and hope i will be able to keep it like this.. it´s so nice to start working when it´s clean and organized.. at the same time, I know myself and an organized mess works too.. fingers crossed as this looks so much more clean :)

IMG_4367 11.JPG
IMG_4367 9.JPG
IMG_4367 3.JPG

Latest posts

Sponsors