Magnification Part Two

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
I could not get my pictures to upload into a quick reply...So I started a new thread.. sorry if this not the way to do it........
Brian here are the pictures of my scope I hope you have a manual on this model of Zeiss as I said this is an old timer like me... The last pic shows 3.75 inch working space with a .5 barlow.

thanks for your help Bob 1-100_5831.JPG 2-100_5832.JPG 3-100_5833.JPG

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Nope, don't recognize this one. A little before my time I guess?

They made (and still make) great scopes.

Just saw the newest version up at Davis in Sacramento. $65,000. (and that one wasn't "loaded" with options)

Not any discernable difference in optics between it and my 30 year old OPMI. They even kept the step magnification as it is on mine.

They modernized/streamlined the body, but basically it's the same scope when I looked through it...

Docs have a hard time understanding that a "civilian" can spend 10 times the hours they do looking through these things.

I'm sending your images on to a coupla Zeiss mechanics...

Whereabouts on the planet are you? I'm gonna guess Texas from the moniker? You oughta go put that up in your profile...

Brian

Last edited:

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
I am a wantabe cowboy......In the great state of Washington wish there were knowledgeable engravers close by who I could get to know...

thanks for your time Bob

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Jon Yes it is ... I do like wood working, its made with red oak, maple. purple heart and walnut.....with a clear lacquer finish....

Thanks for the interest Bob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if this model isn't a ZOOM scope, that may be your problem. since you've already have invested here,i hope you can find a solution. i have a b & l bino i use for looking at tool points and such. it has 3 fixed powers. great for snooping around, but no good for engraving. it was originally used by a jewelry-making friend. his son and daughter honored my by giving it as a gift from a departed friend.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All of the Zeiss scopes I have used or owned were step magnification bodies with various objective lenses to change the working distance.

As was the brand new $65,000 Zeiss OPMI I saw a few weeks ago. Apparently there is a reason? The company is betting on it.

The advantage to step magnification over zoom is that you simply switch to an exact magnification lens within the body.

Zoom mechanisms involve a "tube" (the body) in which two lenses move back and forth to magnify whatever is being observed.

As soon as you do that - add the mechanism - you reduce the available light that comes through the optics...

Simply flipping from one lens to another transfers more light to your eyes.

Brian

Yes, it takes a little getting used to if you've begun your journey down this road with a zoom scope - all of about 10 minutes.

After that, you'd never return to a zoom scope... The beginning of a tool war? :) Nope, just my preference...

Last edited:

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys I really do like the lens changing system.... With the gray filter off the working distance is 4" with the .5 barlow held against the object lens the working distance only increases .75 " SOOO me thinks the import barlow ,around $40, is not doing the job.....I am getting out of my depth when it comes to lens construction, field of view, and all the other goodies you have to consider...I am for buying a new .5 barlow if I can somewhat assure myself that I am getting what I need...

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wouldn't put anything BUT a Zeiss barlow on it. I had a couple for my opmi but don't remember their powers off hand but my working distance was a lot more than 4-5". I'll see if I can dig those numbers up before you go spend any more money.

Edit: I had 2 objective lenses, both Zeiss. The f200 gave me right at 8" between the work and the bottom of the lens. The f300 if I recall gave me 11" which is not needed often but is handy to have.

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use a Zeiss objective lens, NOT a Barlow... different species.

They come in mm. Hence 200mm will give you that distance - which is little over 7"

I have also used a 225 and 250 to get 9" to 11" on occasion.

Don't know yet for sure what this particular Zeiss requires... or whether in fact it uses objective lenses?

Brian

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Zeiss object lens

Brian The object lens from my scope with no ID

Bob

Attachments

• 2-100_5839.JPG
    2-100_5839.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 1-100_5836.JPG
    1-100_5836.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 101

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Dennis I live in Richland in the southeast corner of the state.....Wow, That looks like a nice island on Google earth....Your bio said you are a full time gun engraver, that's neat. I have several I will engrave when my skill set is good enough...

regards Bob

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ya lonestarr. Put me right out of my bench, had to make a whole new setup.
It is nice. Specially if I'm going to stipple, or hammer. But I was also happy before with the short working distance, just for straight engraving. The main thing I appreciate about the .5 objective is the ability to back off and look at the design as a whole. That is very important.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also cut one before from a -6(?) diopter. This is the blanks that they use for making glasses. It also worked. I used it in my AO scope without any problem. In my Leica, there was a kind of haloing effect, or rainbows around my cuts. But it wasn't as distracting as it might sound.
Caveat- I said -6, I'm not positive on that account. Might have been 3, or ?? .. The optometrist I got mine from just let me have it. But it was plastic. Probably what is to blame for the artifacts in the vision.

Sponsors