Low speed bi-directional 6" power hone

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
2 pulleys - one on motor & second on grinder?

How do you change the speed, i.e., foot pedal or ??

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Chujybear

What's the issue w the dual angle fixture? Does it bottom out before your tool touches the diamond?

Yes Chujybear, that's the problem, I can make a longer arbor to screw on the grinder head, but I like the way Bildio's one looks :) and I want to make it so it can be height adjustable.

Bildio, I just fitted the insides of the pedal control to a box screwed to the case, it has a slide controller, I could have used the pedal as it was but I already have 4 pedals under my bench :rolleyes:, and with the slide you can set it at a certain speed and it stays there, yes to the pulleys, to be honest I don't remember how I fitted it to the grinder, :thinking:

Richard

Attachments

• PIC_0022.jpg
    PIC_0022.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How would you adjust the height? Whith an adjustable spindle run off pulleys? Or with a direct drive- raising the whole motor?
Option c?

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Gee you're making me think now :biggrin:
that's the part I haven't worked out yet of yet, I have been on holidays for the last 4 weeks, so my brain has stopped working for a while, I am going back to work tomorrow, so I will be able to experiment, will let you know,

Richard.

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Amlap link removed from the original post as no longer trustworthy. Other sources can be found with a web search for "Aluminum Master Lap", looking for 6" dia, 1/4" thick with 1/2" center hole.
Cliff

krist003

I am bringing this thread back up since I have a question. I am building a power hone similar to the ones shown here. I do like the idea of using a low RPM motor so I don't have to worry about heating the graver up too much, but I am concerned that it may be a little on the slow end. How much RPM is too much? Would it be advisable to get a motor with a higher RPM, say around 80-100 or would I risk heating the graver?

Thanks

mrthe

80-100 rpm i think will be to slow , if i'm not wrong yhe grs one run at 400

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I have been using the ones I made and I am very satisfied with how it works. A lot better than using a diamond stone without power and very cheap to build.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I used everything that was listed in the beginning post, the same motor, diamond discs, etc., the only differences I used an electrical junction box as a case for it. Actually I made 2 of them, one for my shop at home and one for my shop at our second home. Keep in mind, this is a hobby for me, I am not a professional engraver. I also use both of them to sharpen my wood carving chisels. I am retired, I gave up being in a hurry all of the time years ago, if I get it done today fine, but tomorrow or even next week is also okay. It may take me an extra minute to sharpen a chisel or graver, I am okay with that, it is all I have used, so I can't tell you how much time difference there is.

I also get a lot of satisfaction out of building my own tools and tooling, for me that is better than writing out a check and waiting for the UPS truck to bring me the "tool" I want.

Taj

Hi, I've built one of these, except I used a 500 rpm motor and it wobbles. What to do about wobbling? My adapter is not resting on the box, it is supported by the motor shaft. Should it rest on the box? Thanks.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I've built one of these, except I used a 500 rpm motor and it wobbles. What to do about wobbling? My adapter is not resting on the box, it is supported by the motor shaft. Should it rest on the box? Thanks.

My guess is the adapter did not fit the shaft as tight as it should. The adapter to the shaft is a perfect fit to the motor SouthTexas used in his machine as was the one used in mine. Any deviation on the shaft size and you will have a wobble.

Taj

I used a bushing (6mm to 5/16") it was a very tight fit, had to hammer it in. I don't believe that's the problem. I am thinking if the adapter sits on the surface of the box that will give it stability. Is your adapter sitting on the box or is there a space between box top and adapter bottom?

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I drilled an extra large hole Half of the adapter is inside of the box, it comes off the motor and sticks up through the hole. Is your shaft perpendicular to the box? For it to turn smoothly the shaft has to be straight up out of the box. If it's not that then you might have a bent shaft.

I would take it apart and run the motor to see if the shaft is running straight, if the shaft runs true, then it is how you put it together.

Latest posts

Sponsors