Low speed bi-directional 6" power hone

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Paul,

Thanks for the input. Motor is spec'd at 2,800 rpm max. & variable speed. Does yours have variable speed, i.e., can you run it slow too, e.g., below 500 rpm?

Last edited:

Paul Russell

Hi Bildio, I run the motor at its slowest speed, which is quite fast. I have no way to measure the the speed, and yes, the units speed is adjustable.
I think all up, this setup cost me $125 AUS. Which was the motor unit, the brass bush, plus a 220 grit diamond disc.... (I've seen these motors online at "Inland lapidary supplies" for just under $ 70 USD. ). Hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul.

mrthe

me too i use the inland motor replacement for my homemade power hone and work perfect i have open the orange plastic case and put it in a metal enclosure and work like a "real" one

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks so much for pointing me to this - I just ordered everything I need, and next time I need milk and soap, I'll get the flat cutting board as the base, and have wood in the shop to act as risers.
Thanks!
$113 total! Not bad.

Rolland

Would it be possible to post a couple of photos of the fixture? I have a machine shop and would be interested in fabricating something similar

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
So I ordered all the bits for this project and now have a pretty cool power sharpener of my own, for just around $100 investment. :)
Still waiting on the diamond laps - they're coming from China.

The first motor I bought was seized up - no good. They sent a replacement and it worked great, no charge no hassle, but then they sent a second replacement. So I don't need it.

If anybody here wants to do this, I've got a motor I'll give you for cost of shipping - $6 should do it CONUS.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Made one using a "BUD Industries JB-3956 Steel NEMA 1 Sheet Metal Junction Box with Lift-off Screw Cover, 6" Width x 8" Height x 4" Depth" purchased from Amazon for $14.13.

I was too lazy to fabricate an enclosure. I'm very pleased with the result. It's nice & sturdy. I wish the motor was faster, but it's a nice alternative to hand sharpening. It's nice to have forward & reverse too.

IMG_0848.jpg
IMG_0854.jpg IMG_0822.jpg IMG_0850.jpg IMG_0852.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Cliff,

& thanks very much for your help. The 10/32 threaded holes in the gear box make for a nice mount to the box.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bravo! Very well done just saved yourself hundreds, and probably had fun doing it also!

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Excellent post. Thank you. I also enjoy making my own tooling. I find it really satisfying.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work, :thumbsup:, here is the one I made a while ago with a sewing machine motor and an angle grinder head, old parts from the junk box, I too was lazy about making the box, so I used an old computer power supply case, just took the insides out it is belt driven via 2 pulleys, and it has a variable speed, max speed about 800 rpm, is set up for the Lindsay templates, which makes it hard to use with the dual angle fixture, so I have to redesign it now, thanks for your tips guys, that's going to help a lot

Richard

Attachments

• PIC_0020.jpg
    PIC_0020.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 195
  • PIC_0021.jpg
    PIC_0021.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 197
  • PIC_0018.jpg
    PIC_0018.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 195

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What's the issue w the dual angle fixture? Does it bottom out before your tool touches the diamond?

Latest posts

Sponsors