Lords Prayer on a pinhead

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey, wait one ! i once carved the gettysburg address on a toothpick with a chainsaw. i cant find the foto, though.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I fail to understand why he could only make two or three strokes per day and it would take months to complete. If you have fine motor control to make 3 strokes why not 5 or 10 or 20

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I fail to understand why he could only make two or three strokes per day and it would take months to complete. If you have fine motor control to make 3 strokes why not 5 or 10 or 20

He probably only could count to three as he also needed three years to engrave it.:just kidding:

"It took master engraver Godfrey Lundberg three years (1913-1915) to painstakingly inscribe the twelve lines"

arnaud

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sure I’m a non believer about the “The Lord's Prayer engraved on the head of a pinâ€￾
And why did he not sign his work? :big grin:
As I will have to see this with my own eyes. But searching around on the Internet, it seems one can see the pin as it is in a museum.
So did someone of us see that pin life under the microscope?

It seems the pin head is 2 mm, anyone who would give it a try? Just the first three letters, otherwise we will have to wait three years. :just kidding:

arnaud

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A cronite zero could do that easy enough.
The problem with the prison story is, how would the guards notice engraved pins?

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
I tried my smallest engraving on this euro-cent. The hight is 0,7 mm (the "M" letter). The four gray points around are 2 mm width.
I have to say, i really can't believe this pin-head engraving-story done by hand ...

Regards, Mario.

Attachments

• one-cent.jpg
    one-cent.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 40

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, thank you for taking the time to give it a try.
Myself I already was convinced I could not do one letter, the size of those that are on the pinhead. Of course we are no “master engravers”. :big grin:
If I do some mathematics, There are 13 lines on a circle of 2 mm, taking charge of the space between every line means every letter is about 0,12 mm high.
So in my opinion there is only one hand tool that could do this, a tiny bulino tool.
The wide of your “Mario cut is approximately the height of one letter.
Never the less in my opinion only a crazy one would like to spend three years on something that can’ bee seen.
I don’t know much about A cronite zero, problem is the cutting tool in my opinion, even a needle is to wide.
So it could probably be done by a laser engraving, but in my opinion not with a mechanical tool or by hand.
But I always will correct myself if I’m wrong when I see it with my own eyes.

Perhaps Phill could do this, Katherine Plumer sure she can.

BTW Mario, nice lettering on the euro cent :big grin:

here is the image

arnaud

Attachments

• Lords Prayer on a pinhead.jpg
    Lords Prayer on a pinhead.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I dont know about that crazy bisiness. The fellow who did the tiny micro carving from England that was post here a while back. The one with Stute of Liberty in the eyeof a needle and about twenty to thirty pieces and he sold to collector for 22,000,000. Not bad pay for a few years work. Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors