Lords Prayer on a pinhead

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Engraving Pin heads, by Paul P. Wentz (American Horologist & Jeweler-Feb., 1950)

This subject is of little practical use to the engraver, however every student who has ever heard of pin head engraving presents a number of questions to the instructor regarding the subject. This is written as a resume of authors' articles in the aforementioned magazine.

Miniature engraving has long been a hobby of engravers in the past, both here and abroad. The pin has been selected as a symbol of a tiny object.

The author in his lifetime saw only three pinheads bearing the Lord's Prayer which were engraved in the conventional way, using regular gravers.

One of the above was by a U.S. Government engraver.
Another was done by a man in the state of Washington.
The third was done by the author.

Tradition tells us that the man who did the above work went blind and lost his mind. The author questions this as with his own experience, he found it took but three and one half hours to complete the Lord's Prayer.

The author engraved his pin, a brass one, in 1907 during the depression at that time. The pin he used had a head diameter of two mm. It had a rounded head, however, he filed it flat, then used a screw head polisher to give it a mirror finish.

The next step was to sharpen the script graver down to an extremely fine point.

A strong loupe is needed. Author does not tell what the approximate power was from the loupe he made up.

The next question involved which type of letter might be the more practical, since fanciness was out. It must be an alphabet that could be condensed. After numerous experiments, a sort of block letter, with a tinge of Japanese effect was considered the more practical.

Author experimented on engraving around the pin head in spiral fashion, also straight across, and decided the latter to be better.

The author suggests guide lines, although he did not used any.

The author never expected to do the Lord's Prayer when beginning. His first few attempts produced the complete alphabet to his amazement. Later he engraved the alphabet twice, then three times, four, five. Then he tried one in bold relief, i.e., cutting the background away. That particular pin is now in the Carnegie Museum, Pittsburg, Pa.

Mr. Wentz finished the Lord's prayer, left it lay around on his bench until some newsman picked it up. Then he received letters from engravers...from crackpots and all. Even Ripley featured it in "Believe it or Not".
Today it is in possession of the Pa. Historical Society in Philadelphia (Locust St.). If you take the so-what attitude the author states that it will definitely make one a better engraver, as it is great training for the eye, hand, and sense of touch.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, when i used to get into the sauce, i used to practice walking on water. somehow, i always ended up with mud on my shoes. i was going to try sams' scroll on a pin, but the pins available around here are composed of 2 pieces, and aren't conducive to engraving. for that matter, i'm not certain i'm up to it either.

I Just Came Across The Lords Prayer On The Pinhead ,in The Engraver's Cafe.in The Year Off 1946 ,i Was Going To The New Castle Jeweler's Trining School,are Engraving Teacher, Showed Use The Pinhead With The Lords Prayer,with His Magnevecatoon,we Could Hardley Make It Out But You Knew It Was There. William G Berger Are Instructer Started To Cut The Lords Prayer On A Pinhead Ido Not Know How He Made Out.now I Am Sorrey I Ever Checked On Him.
I Am Very Glad I Ame Across This In The Engraver's Cafe.when I Usto Tell People About It No Body Belived Me.now I Have Proof.thank You , My Name Is Frank Laskowski Young At 86.now I Am Going Back To Engraving Where I Left Off 62 Years Ago. Well Iam Going To Give It Atry If My Eyes Hold Up. Thanks Again And Keep Up The Good Work.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I also saw a picture of this in the Gorton pantograph manual, to show how precise their machinery was. I, too, find it hard to believe it was done by hand, without magnification.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Frank! Welcome back to engraving after 62 years!

Tom: I agree. I have a very difficult time believing it was cut by hand in the traditional manner of hand engraving. It's remarkable nonetheless, but was it done by hand without magnification?
Skeptical Sam

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Now a pantograph I can believe. Cutting by hand I would have to see to believe.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
One thing is for sure, It was not done with a chasing hammer.
Hey Frank, Welcome. Glad to have you here. It is a fun place to be. Mack

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Microsculpter?

I don't believe much of what I see on computers. A micron telescope will show the pimples on a flea's behind and if you can put millions of bits of information on a micro chip, then why couldn't you do miniatures the same way? I don't think there is a human hand that steady, and anyway, What about this?

What if this is just an image on the lense itself and the investors are buying microscopes with those images on the lenses.......Huh, Huh,??....... You could blow a needle up fifty times, paint an image on it, then reduce it back down, and walah!!

I think it is a con too..............

Think I am a little sceptical? I would have to see him carving that sculpture to believe it.

Do it large and then reduce it down? that is probably the trick.

Remember too that pin head is an etching, and you might could do it with a photo etching process. I'll assure you, you can't do this with a coke bottle for magnification or a camera lense, but you could do it in a photo lab................ And in prison, you might have access to a lab if you are a good little boy.

My two cents on the subject.

Ron S

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
He paints with a hair plucked from a house fly's back. You have got to be kidding me !!!!!

Montejano

Elite Cafe Member
I'm very surprised of this post.

A human hand could perform incredible work. With increasing possibilities microscope is an instrument that helps to do important things.

But human beings have physical limitations (especially the pulse of the hands). In this case the pin with 254 points and engraved with the corresponding spaces between the letters.
It does this by hand, it seems too much to believe.

I looked at the picture and gives me the impression, which are embossed lettering that resembles a high relief to acid.

Regardless of the technique would need to see it with my eyes to believe this is done by hand.

Antonio

--------------

Estoy muy sorprendido de este post .

Un ser humano pude realizar a mano trabajos increibles . Con microscópio las posibilidades aumentan y es un instrumento que ayuda a hacer cosas importantes .

Pero el ser humano tiene sus limitaciones físicas ( especialmente el pulso de las manos ). En este asunto del alfiler con 254 letras grabadas y con los espacios correspondientes entre las mismas letras .
Todo ello realizado a mano , me parece demasiado para creerlo .

He mirado la fotografía y me da la impresión , que son letras en relieve y que se asemeja a un altorrelieve al ácido .

Independientemente de la técnica empleada , necesitaría verlo con mis ojos , para creer que esté realizado a mano .

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
how do you sharpen a graver that would do that sort of thing. You would have to make the tool also. My faith is limited to the almighty.

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Hard to tell, but if the characters are raised then it was done with a photographic process and the back ground etched away.

With this process, the same example can be made hundreds of times smaller.

I think someone was trying to float an iron wedge, but I'm not buying it.

Latest posts

Sponsors