Limestone elephant shallow relief

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
My latest piece. Indiana limestone, 20 x 25" (about 50 x 64 cm). Maximum depth of relief 3/4" (2 cm).

Elephant-relief-shop.jpg

arg.. I see in this photo it's hard to distinguish how the right front leg is behind the left front leg, it fades together. I'll have to check the stone again, make sure I differentiated them enough.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice! How much of a problem are existing cracks and inclusions when cutting stone? Is it like wood where you get 2/3 of the way done and a crack opens up?

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautifully work, and I was complaining about background removal on a butt plate:beatup:

Gargoyle

Mike, you'll notice a calcite inclusion on the left side of the frame. Those can be hard and chippy, need to carefully cut across them with a sharp carbide chisel; they can chip or dull a tempered steel chisel. It's largely an issue of grade selection and knowing the quarries. This, like a lot of what I've been doing this fall, is using salvaged stone, scraps I pulled out of the dumpsters at stone mills or the scrap pile of a quarry. I tend to grab interesting looking pieces when I'm there selecting stone for job or picking up an order. Therefore, these are of mixed quality, more architectural grade than sculptural grade. A lot of it has been coarse grain, and it can pluck out when cutting across it.

This Tudor lintel I did last week is an example. Very coarse, large grains, surface could chip out or shatter under the chisel, so it wouldn't take sharp lines (what we call an arris, a clean crisp edge). Couldn't get smooth flowing lines to the leaves, so I had to simplify everything.

tudor-lintel-powder-rm.jpg

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
And to think I complain about a homogenous medium like steel! That is cool stuff. Thank you for posting.

Gargoyle

natural materials- you never really know what is inside. I saw carvers work for weeks on a marble statue of a young girl, beautiful clear block of white marble, only to hit a black vein right across the eyes, like a raccoon face. Or work on a Madonna and hit a hidden open vein right across the chest that would cause it to break apart if set outdoors for a few years. It happens.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Wonderful stuff, Walter. We're really fortunate to have a guy like you in the group.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
great stuff. i'm thinkin the "problem" with the legs is simply the lighting angle. the right leg is clearly seen.

Gargoyle

The back tusk was also too big, I shaved it down. Would that qualify as scrimshaw, since I was cutting the ivory?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You are THE MAN, Walter! I hope we can get a final shot once the building is completed.

Gargoyle

Scaffolding around it so the masons can set the stone above, probably be next week before I can get a better shot of it.

elephant-installation.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors