Question: liability insurance

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
I think this is a good question. It is something I have pondered as well, looking to get into engraving. I would of course assume that the engraving isn't going to be deep enough to hurt anything.

When I started making leather goods a while back, anytime i made a holster for someone I drew up a waver making the user responsible for checking the items condition before using every time. I know my holsters wouldn't fail, but in the event something happening due to the users poor judgement, I wanted to make sure I am clear of any liability. I had a professor in Grad school who always applied the "CYA" practice. Cover your ass. I think a waver would suffice in most any application. I haven't had anyone refuse to buy an item because Ive asked them to sign one.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
some time ago the gunsmith at my local gander mountain sg store was interested in promoting my work. when push came to shove he said i'd have to get a million dollar policy. needless to say i swiftly left the store on that sad note.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
I would be very cautious when annealing and rehardening must be carried out. In almost all cases the brand and quality of the steel of a rifle is unknown to the engraver. But proper hardening after engraving depends on treatment exact to specification. So take it annealed and deliver it without heat treatment.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
...I drew up a waver making the user responsible for checking the items condition before using every time. I know my holsters wouldn't fail, but in the event something happening due to the users poor judgement, I wanted to make sure I am clear of any liability.

It's a sad state of the world that we are all held hostage by shyster lawyers who may sue us. :(

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
My two cents worth,
I am also concerned about liability, especially with revolvers. I disassemble the revolvers, remove the bluing, and sand the steel to a 600 grit finish. I do not do any metallurgy on the gun parts. If I need any annealing work done on the gun, I go to the expense of sending the gun to Turbmull Mfg. (on my last SAA he charged me $95 to anneal the frame, hammer, and loading gate- and that included shipping back to me). When I have him finish, and re-harden the gun after engraving, I also ask him to re-assemble the gun and inspect it for safety.

I know that you are never safe from lawsuits, but at least this way I am hoping to lean on Turnbull Mfg. insurance if some Bozo blows up one of my guns.

Les

Sponsors