Help, please: Lathe recommendation

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a Birmingham 12x36. It is probably identical to a grizzly. I think the same company makes them in China.
I like mine a lot. It is accurate and have never had any problems with it. That being said I don't see why you need a lathe to cut grooves for barrel inlays or cylinders. What Brian said is a fact you will spend at least double for accessories in the end.

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
I'll echo everyone’s inputs. The small ones are great and nice to have in the house. Issue is they can't handle larger parts (MT-2 heads, short beds, etc). Home Shop Machinist has a number of them advertised and a running set of articles in how to improve the "Chinese Built" ones.

There are a number of web pages out there that also compare the various models, costs, options, etc. Pistols are not too bad on the small ones. Just run your barrels between centers to turn them. Same for cylinders. Like everyone has said here, your first task is to test how true the lathe is running. Next is to build the armada of tooling you’ll want.

When you get into rifle-smithing, you'll need a whole different beast. For pistols, the small lathes on the market should do you just fine and typically are minimal investment.

Hot Knobs

Elite Cafe Member
Gerald, you have been given good advise I have a 14x40 gear head with a lot of tooling was going to get a smaller lathe tried jewelers lathes the 7x 14 Asian was not impressed with it, so got a Prazi SD 300 they are 5x12 they are one of the better table top lathes, I am going to get rid of it and keep my 14x40 it is hard to come down. Deane

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My Birmingham 12x36 has a 1 1/2" hole in the headstock and I have turned both rifle and shotgun barrels in it with no trouble. I bought it for $2500.00 shipped to my shop door. I spent about $1500.00 more for other tools from enco. From looking at Grizzlys they look the same.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
All of those who replied have excellent suggestions. Right now there is a glut on the market of used manual machine tools and accessories. One of the fellows suggested you find a trusted "real" machinist. Pay his expenses and run down to Houston and spend a long weekend visiting used equipment places and advertised machine tools for sale. As Brian eluded to it ain't so much the machine as it is a pick-up load of tooling. Often the right buy is with a fair amount of tooling included, barter hard for tooling thrown into the pot. Google used machine tools Houston. The key is a trusted machinist who will advise you much like the advice on this web site. My simple advice is to buy as large as your space allows you to. There is a work around for 3 phase power do not let this be problematic for you. Roger

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gerry...Please understand that nobody is trying to talk you out of owning a lathe. Far from it.
By all means, if you can afford one, add it to your arsenal. After some experience, you'll never want to be without it---even if you use it twice a year.
Just realize that it ain't the best use of your money for doing barrel and cylinder bands.

partsproduction

Some of the most utilitarian lathes being built today come from China, I have one, but most of my work is done in a Nardini made in Brazil. I'm not speaking of tiny consumer lathes though.

I've been a machinist most of my life, just starting this wonderful new adventure of engraving! I've looked forward to it for many years. It's very satisfying.

LGB

I have used several large lathes over the yrs. as a full time gunsmith. I retired and now I have a small 7X12 lathe that I carry in my 5th Wheel travel trailer. If you are planning to do more gunsmithing work I would buy a large lathe. Some people don't believe that you can use these Chinese to build an accuracy rifle. I wrote up an article about building my final rifle as a show and tell project to share some of my thoughts before it is too late. www.accuratereloading.com , go to the Gunsmith forum and at the top you will see SHOW AND TELL STOCKMAKER which has had over 64,000 hits. The use of a 7X12 lathe is covered on about page 3 or 4 and shows what can be done if you make of couple of changes to these lathes. A group shot under 5/16" @ 100 yards isn't too bad for an 8 lb rifle.

It is not the lathe as much as the person running the machine. A setup showing the method I used and others can be found on Google under Les Brooks, gunsmith. PM sent to Beathard

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have used several large lathes over the yrs. as a full time gunsmith. I retired and now I have a small 7X12 lathe that I carry in my 5th Wheel travel trailer. If you are planning to do more gunsmithing work I would buy a large lathe. Some people don't believe that you can use these Chinese to build an accuracy rifle. I wrote up an article about building my final rifle as a show and tell project to share some of my thoughts before it is too late. www.accuratereloading.com , go to the Gunsmith forum and at the top you will see SHOW AND TELL STOCKMAKER which has had over 64,000 hits. The use of a 7X12 lathe is covered on about page 3 or 4 and shows what can be done if you make of couple of changes to these lathes. A group shot under 5/16" @ 100 yards isn't too bad for an 8 lb rifle.

It is not the lathe as much as the person running the machine. A setup showing the method I used and others can be found on Google under Les Brooks, gunsmith. PM sent to Beathard

LGB

very well done i saw the lathe you used, never say never

Saludos,

Carlos

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
My heart was bleeding when I saw the lathe of the gunsmith forum i worked many years on different industrial lathes. The Question is what will you do with it ? If you have the space buy an old lady for industrial use. Look for Insolvenz auctions you can save mutch money there.
Most old indudstrial mashines are better than every cheap new one.
But you have to test it bevore buying. Some old mashines have problems with the gears thats very expensive to fix. Turn a thread on the mashine you want to buy if it fits perfectly with a nut over the whole lenght of the threaded rod you turn the lathe will bring you mutch fun. If you dont have the space look for an neighbour or an firm in your enviroment where you can use a industrial lathe for a couple of beer after work.
It will be more fun than a cheap mashine and maybe a new frind :)
I hope you enjoy my english
Chris

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
A Tool & Die maker friend, since passed, told me "you can make little things on a big lathe but you can't make big things on a little lathe". He also gave me a lot of crap for buying a Craftsman rather than a South Bend or something similar.

John

Latest posts

Sponsors