Is "Flawed/imperfect is a good thing" ?

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Scorper: It's a generic name for a tool sporting a wooden handle (in England at least).
I guess using a neoprene handle doesn't change much technically.

Onglette is known as a spitz stick.

Beads (setting) are grains...

Basically the same subject as I was trying to get at in my bead/pave style post...you can get a lot more characteristic looking work doing "old school" & the fact that as Steve pointed out It's getting lost to modernisation.

Last edited:

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
While there is plenty to see in my work to know it's hand cut, when and if I get better, I'll not be distressing my work to let laymen know it's hand done. Even as a beginner I can look at the best work and most times see some variation to know it's done by hand. Hopefully, my work will improve to the point that others will have to really search for some indication that my work is still cut manually and not of a machine or printer or laser. I'm amazed at the talent on some of the work and often look for a ''flaw'' if you could call it that. Most of the time it's just a variation ,a little shorter drop or more of a curl or something simple. What the heck am I trying to get better for if I'm just supposed to make it look like it was made with no thought to consistency or care? I think distressing an item has it's place only in specific situations not as regular practice.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I have spent 40 plus (big plus) years trying to learn to do my engraving to the best quality that I can muster...I have no interest in making flaws on purpose and try very hard to remove the inadvertent ones, though that is not possible to the 100 percent level. I also always do things my way and I can assure that the two concepts can be as hard to meld as it is to make two like poles of magnets stick to each other. But it sure is fun trying!

Last edited:

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
To add to what Fred Marrinan was saying about "Indian Jewelry", and Indian crafts in general- growing up in the Southwest, I have heard many times that blankets, rugs, pottery and jewelry was always made with an intentional flaw in it, so as not to insult the Great Spirit. I had always taken that as truth, until years later visiting the Middle East, I was looking at a chased dagger sheath, and was noting that it was copper plated with silver, and the plating wasn't very good, with many patches where the silver didn't "stick" to the copper. The seller said that those flaws were intentional because making perfect art was for Allah alone, and it would be an insult to try to make it perfect. I'm pretty sure if Allah was making dagger sheaths, he wouldn't be plating copper, but I bought the dagger anyway, because the work itself was really nice. I still look at it all the time and that silver is almost completely gone, it was so thin. Sometimes you want your blue jeans pristine, and sometimes you want them "distressed". Of course, sometimes, distressed is just an excuse for poor craftsmanship, and sometimes that laser is too "perfect". Get in where you fit in.

Taj

Wabi-sabi (侘寂?) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".[2] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印 sanbōin?), specifically impermanence (無常 mujō?), the other two being suffering (苦 ku?) and emptiness or absence of self-nature (空 kū?).

Characteristics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include asymmetry, asperity (roughness or irregularity), simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy, and appreciation of the ingenuous integrity of natural objects and processes.

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chapi, You are correct, Some believe that you should never make anything so perfect that the gods would take offense. Believe me it has never been a problem for me. There is always something I could have done better. Muslims take this to the extreme. The Karan teaches that if you make anything depicting a living animal or human when you get to meet their god he will show you effort and tell you to make it live if you can't there is a different place for you. Are gods are not so harsh. Fred

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I am surprise to see that perfection has touch so many that they have to make an effort not to compete with the gods, it must be ................. divine, I look forward to reach their rank and replace my involuntary mistakes by deliberate ones.

My god are all this people blind or just deluded?

Taj

Hello Sensei, I tried to PM you and this is what I got:

Brian Marshall has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

We're neighbors...