Question: inside out coin ring

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I have made several coin rings. But none like this. Its rolled so the original edge shows on one side. I have attempted it but always end up scaring the inside. I haven't found a YouTube video for this style. Only other methods. The ones I made I learned the spoon tapping method from a wwll retired navy sailor.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Well. OK Its obviously been a while scene I looked up coin rings on YouTube. My bad. I came across this pic an remembered I had tried to make one a long time ago. Before there were no YouTube videos on it. Sry for wasting your time. Thanks.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Most techniques use a hammer and a anvil to beat the coin to the wide shape, the a jeweler a saw to remove the center, and the file and polish. This ring appears to have been done differently. The design on the outside of the ring usually disappears.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I saw a YouTube video where a hole (about ring finger size) was drilled in the center of the coin. Then the ring was placed on a tapered mandrel & hammered to the ring shape.

mrthe

i had make a tutorial few months ago for my spanish forum

Step 1 - Choose a old sterling (or copper) coin

Step 2 - with a divider mark a circle in the center of the coin

Step 3 - with a pemanent marker draw the circle for a more visibility

Step 4 - Cut the center of the coin with a disk cutter tool or with a sawframe,is the same ;)

Step 5 - With a torch annealing the coing for reducing stress of the metal

Step 6 - put the coin in a ring's mandrel and planishing the borders from up to down
Note: the face that you want show in the side up of the ring must be put up in the mandrel.

Step 7 - Repit the process of annealing

Step 8 - Now put the coin in the mandrel in the opposit side wide the most opened part up and planishing.

Step 9 - If you want at the last for a perfect circular form of the ring and for enlarge his size you can use a ring enlarger tool like this,it's more fast and simple.

Step 10 - Polish the cutted side of the ring with a abrasive paper and after the rest of the ring with a buffing machine....and.....enjoy it ;)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a great looking ring. i'm amazed at how clean this ring turned out. how much time did you spend doing this one ? just curious

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
To retain the images on the ring I would say that instead of hammering on a mandrel the washer was turned out perhaps by using a press to give a smoother motion and without overly marking the coin. Just a guess.

Roger

mrthe

Monk if the coin is a quarter or something similar can take 30/40 minutes all the process ;)
Roger B if you use a teflon head hammer you don't ruin the inside and outside relief of the coin.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very good tutorial. Rio Grand sells a setup which punches washer and the fixtures to roll the rings. One of their recent catalogs featured tutorials on this method as well. To retain the the inside of the coin use a wooden or nylon mandrill to minimize damage to inside surface. I use rawhide hammer heads. Fred

mrthe

if the coin is thin no problem , now if is more havy will cost more work on the anvil, considere that the final size of the ring is a question of how much is great the diameter of the coin, not the hole inside that only determine the widht of the ring, fom mens go well quarters for ladyes maybe dimes, is a question of practice and try wich coin wirk well for each size of ring

Latest posts

Sponsors