I think I’m getting real good at this

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My oldest son recently gave me a new Wacom Tablet as a present, and I invested some more time using it with Illustrator. It is the model PTK-440. It has some buttons on it too and one I like is the “precise mode”.
Before one comes in telling me I have to draw on paper with a pencil, yes I do that too, I also can draw directly onto metal as well.
But I really get the hang using a tablet and Illustrator; at least that is how it feels to me.
I now use other tools to draw the curves, and I can do that real fast.
So today it was playing time for me and I spent all day cutting the outlines on a brass Zippo lighter. It is meant as a study for me, investing some time on new shading techniques and detailed cutting using the En Set.
I will not remove background on this one, just outlines and nice shading. The shading will be a big challenge for me, as it is not that obvious to do.
I will show you my next steps in this post.

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a beautiful drawing and design Arnaud, I admit I am a bit jealous :beatup:
I hope one day I'll see a demonstration with the Wacom....;)
Looking forward to the next steps, thanks for showing.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes, you are getting good. The design looks perfectly drawn. Congratulations :thumbsup:

I use a Wacom Cintiq.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks all for your input, sure this is to be continued. As I said I will show some in between steps as well, like "the making of"
Perhaps I will make some video about how doing this real fast

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bram, yes of course it is a nice design, which is why I choose it to convert it into vectors. My point is that I’m getting real good using Illustrator and a Wacom tablet, proof of that you recognised the original design. So did Chris DeCamilles and probably others who use these designs of Andre Lienard as a reference.
As I already mentioned, it is also about a study shading this one.

I did cut the mail lines and now I’m working on the shading, I will show once finished.

arnaud

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Bram, yes of course it is a nice design, which is why I choose it to convert it into vectors. My point is that I’m getting real good using Illustrator and a Wacom tablet, proof of that you recognised the original design. So did Chris DeCamilles and probably others who use these designs of Andre Lienard as a reference.
As I already mentioned, it is also about a study shading this one.

I did cut the mail lines and now I’m working on the shading, I will show once finished.

arnaud

Oke oke, Maybe next time you post something like this mention the artist who has drawn it..

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I finished this one today, and as I said it would be hard to shade nicely.
I didn’t take Bram’s advice on the studio forum to look at Alain Lovenberg shading for this style, that because I wanted to know how far I could come and I have to work myself into trouble finding a way out to take advantage of my practising.
Yes, some problem areas you will see, in particular those I already did cut some shading lines that made it even more difficult.
And yes as always, if I spent some more time blackening some areas a bit more, there will be more depth, but I could as well ruin the whole shading.

So here is the result. Sure would look nicer if I show it a bit smaller and adding some blur.
Anyway, then there wouldn’t be anything to learn from.

I have added some details as well.

If one is interested to give this a try, just ask and I will send the outlines in PDF (vector format) as sure I would like to see other versions of this.

arnaud

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
I finished this one today, and as I said it would be hard to shade nicely.
I didn’t take Bram’s advice on the studio forum to look at Alain Lovenberg shading for this style, that because I wanted to know how far I could come and I have to work myself into trouble finding a way out to take advantage of my practising.
Yes, some problem areas you will see, in particular those I already did cut some shading lines that made it even more difficult.
And yes as always, if I spent some more time blackening some areas a bit more, there will be more depth, but I could as well ruin the whole shading.

So here is the result. Sure would look nicer if I show it a bit smaller and adding some blur.
Anyway, then there wouldn’t be anything to learn from.

I have added some details as well.

If one is interested to give this a try, just ask and I will send the outlines in PDF (vector format) as sure I would like to see other versions of this.

arnaud

Hey Arnaud,

Not bad at all!

This type of engravings is even for a pro not easy.. If you would ever do this type of style again try to something at your shading. What i'm talking about is your lines are waggling a bit also the spacing should be more parallel. This type of engraving don't has black volume is created by lines and cross hatching. Cross hatching is hard but it will give your engraving volume. Also never use inkt to blacken your shading lines.. In the US almost all engravers use inkt to darken. Form me and may other european engravers it is overdone to flashy. So knowing your interest and respect for our Belgium heritage keep up the good work!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bram, I will take your advice next time I do something like this. Thing is I don't like the cross hatching that much. I try to shade with the shape of the leaves or whatever. And yes I know, there are at least two directions for the shape so perhaps it could work ding this sort more like banknote shading. I didn't use paint to fill the cuts, I just had to put the reflections under an angle so it shows the design with the most contrast.
As you mention, the waggling is mostly on the 3 bigger leaves, as I said, I made the mistake already cutting some lines before starting the shading.
Yes I'm a Belgium one too, and I like this style, but I also like the deep blacks and whites, in other words the contrast. So my version is probably not the old Belgium style. If I would like to study that, I will.
For the moment, after starting engraving and design for a bit over 3 years, I just enjoy exploring everything about it. And it is my own style, " straight lines on Ti wedding rings" that is most appreciated by my customers. A Zippo like this, I probably never will be able to sell, but it is nice for me to light my smokers.

So thanks Bram for your participation and advises on this, much appreciated. Also about pointing to the original designer. However, I have a collection of these original designs, but the name "Andre Lienard", if you Google that one, seems he never existed.

arnaud