how 'bout them engraving benches?

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everyone. I have to give you a little back story before I ask for input. Seeing as how I've pretty much only been doing scrim up to this point, I've been working on a drafting table (the microscope sits on the table, it's a top of the line very sturdy table). I don't use a vise. I tried a little scratching on metal a while back. I set up a vise on top of a bar stool (don't laugh) and put that out in front of my table. Well it didn't work worth a darn. For one thing it was too wobbly in here on the carpet, and also I couldn't manage to sit very close to the bar stool when perched on my big ole drafting chair, so I had to lean over at crazy angles. Ugh. Not good for my back. That's why I stopped working on metal and just have focused on scrim.

But, it's time to branch out and try my hand at some metal engraving again, which means it's time for a new engraving bench. I have found someone who can custom make me a bench, any size, super sturdy, and the price is pretty good. I looked at a sample today and was impressed. It wouldn't be anything fancy, just a very strong table, and I'll be getting one of those vise shelves from GRS to attach to the front of the table (no more bar stool yay!).

But I have seen that some of your engraving benches have a cutout in which the vise sits. A half circle or even sort of a keyhole shape. Why is this? Is that a space-saving thing or does it give you somewhere to rest your elbows? Are there any particular features I need to be sure I get (or avoid?)

Thanks.

Katherine

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray Cover has a portable bench for sale and to be honest I thought about buying it myself for setting up in a local jewelry store from time to time. I'd look into that if you need a bench, it's cheap for what it is and it is very well made.

My bench is set up the way his is as well as the portable bench because I do rest my arm on it and I can get closer to the bench where everything is an arms reach away.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Katherine,
I would really suggest a drill press stand for a vise base. Whether you have the cut out or not it is easily adjustable. You may have to spend a bit more at first but it works really well. You usually can buy a drill press from places like Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply for around $150.00.
I've attached a picture of mine. I removed the base and bolted it to the floor but you can use the base to make it more portable if needed.
As far as the bench goes, everyone has a favorite thing. I like to have my equipment off to the right side of me so I can sharpen easily and keep the bench top clear for larger items to swing.
Hope this helps.
Rex

Attachments

• work shop.jpg
    work shop.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 670

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Hmmm, okay, so this is probably a really stupid question, but how does that drill press attach to the underside of the bench? And how does the top come off the drill press? (Yes, you can tell how familiar I am with drill presses can't you).

Also, bolting anything to the floor won't be allowed here. It's carpet, and the front room of the house. Bad enough that I'm a slob. :rolleyes:

-Katherine

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my case I used the post to support the top of my bench however it can just be free standing. You would need some tools to make the conversion. The top comes off easily but the post needs to be cut down to whatever size you need. If I remember, Mr. John B has his microscope stand fastened to the post and it almost makes it a free standing work station. The base is a little large but can be reversed to allow foot room.
Hmm.. carpet and metal chips?? You might get one of those plastic office desk floor protectors.
Rex

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
The hand wheel lifts the vise up and down. I use this to focus my scope. Pay attention to what I just said.:eek: This means I don't have to focus the scope up and down, nor adjust my chair up nor down.:)
I used an old jackscrew from a drill press. You could probably make a similar lift with threaded rod, or a house jack.

Lifted all the way up, the vise can slide off to the side( a Ray Le Tourneau, love it, hate to lift it)

The stand, painted gray, is all plywood, drawer slides are used to provide the guide.

The cut out in the bench allows me to roll into the desk, resting my elbows on the table top. My shoulders are not heavily strained from a days' engraving.

Tom

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Katherine, I'm with Rex on the drill press stand for the vise base.The height adjustment range is fantastic and I also prefer the tools and equipment on my left and right sides---not on the bench (a personal preference)
The first picture shows a DIETZ headlight bucket (about the size of a bowling ball) mounted in my vise, positioned under the microscope.
This setup demonstrates a comfortable standing position, working with the Airtact under the microscope.(You really don't need a 'scope for this big stuff, but I'm just giving you a demo)
I like doing all of my bulino work in a standing position.
The actual workbench is nothing more than bottom kitchen cabinets with a Formica counter top.
If you want to sit---just lower everything and pull up a chair.
The second picture shows how it looks the majority of the time when I'm working. My drawing table is on wheels (so is just about everything else) and I have it pulled up behind me for quick access to it.

Attachments

• engravingvisestand.jpg
    engravingvisestand.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 653
  • Workbenchpics 003.jpg
    Workbenchpics 003.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 622

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Katherine, most engravers use jewelers benches. The round hole that's cut out is to catch excess metal that falls into a catch tray, alot of european jewelers benches use a leather sack to to catch the metal. jewelers benches also usually come w arm rests that pull out to rest your elbows on. You can spend anywhere from $250 to $2000 on one but they work great for engravers. I have the grs table that attaches to the bench and I hate it, if your engraving something more than say 6 inches you can't fully turn the vise. These drill press stands that are recommended would be far superior.

Jeff

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Here I thought that the recess was so one could get closer to the table !!! Katherine, nice scrimshaw work on that Colt Collectors Colt, it doesnt get any better than that !!

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
My 1 and 1/2 cents worth (being more familiar with construction and drill presses, than with engraving)...
If your engraving station is staying mostly in one place, you could attach the drill base to one end of a largish sheet of pretty thick plywood, with enough room to put your stool onto the sheet as well. This would have to make it somewhat more solid than just relying on the base alone, would allow you to sweep up some of the chips while protecting the carpet, and could still be moved if absolutely necessary.
Gary

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Katherine, I have the drill press stand, but I don't have it bolted to the floor. I put all of my son's heavy weight lifting weights on the rectangular base portion which counter balances the ball vise and whatever else is on the stand. I haven't gotten around to sinking the bolts into the concrete to hold the stand yet and have worked with the weights on the base for quite a while. For very large items - like Brian's head lamp buckets - I put a plastic milk crate on the floor up-side-down and then put a piece of wood on that and then my turntable and vise on top of that. It allows me to sit at a comfortable height for these bulky items. If you put the milk crate with one of the points towards the chair you can easily get near the work without hurting your back/neck.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Katherine, take you time deciding. You're going to spend a lot of time at your bench.

I come from a jewelry back round. Boy, is this going to start something! That cut-out doesn't serve any purpose in engraving.
In jewelry the cut out allows you to get closer; and what you're getting closer to is a piece of jewelry in which you are going to set a stones, or stones. There are pull out arm rests, generally wood, to steady your arms. Jewelers who set stones, generally diamonds, used gravers but not power The cut-out is like the buggy whip support which was found on autos when they first started production.

When I first started engraving not so long ago I was very enthused about arm support. Not now, I find it restrictive.
I like Brian's idea. I stand up when I do anything other than engraving and I may change.
I bought a drill press after reading John B's tutorial on the subject. Tom is using a very slick device serving the same purpose. That's very nice if you have the money.
Someone mentioned tables at Sam's Club @ $200 with a maple top. They are very well made. But they don't have a cut-out.
One last point is if you're not going to engrave large things perhaps much of this is unimportant. I love what engravers have done on firearms and shown on this forum; but it's not what I want to spend my time on. That seems a commonality here: firearms. We're all as different as our work. Take your time planning what you want your future work to be. Good luck!
Kevin

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Hmm, okay, this is all lots of good stuff to think about, thanks everyone.

For those of you who don't have cutouts in your bench, do you ever find yourself thinking "gee I really wish this bench had a cutout"?

So far I am only working on pretty small items. Who knows what the future will bring. I do like armrests though! Maybe I'm a lazy engraver, I like to sit down and use arm rests. :big grin:

Maybe I need to see if I have any woodworking skills... Might be better off making a table. Hmm then again I should not be allowed near hammers anymore... :beat up:

-Katherine

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Katherine, I thought all women liked tools. My wife loved the snowshovel I got her one XMAS, and when she unwraps the shelge hammer and wedges for splitting the firewood, well, I can only imagine what I"am in for. A man can only handle so much affection.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
cutout or not

Catherine, I think the cutout question comes down to whether or not you want your arm supported or not. I have tried different approaches. Lately I have been using a arm rest (stacks of wood blocks) so that my forearm is about level with what I am cutting. This seems to be about the same as what setups with a cut out end up with. The reason I like having my arm supported is so my wrist is not at a sharp angle to my forearm which means much less wear and tear on my arthritic wrist. Especially important since I use only push engravers. It also makes it harder for me to drop my wrist which causes slips and heel marks. But maybe I am not doing things right.
Don't think you can come up with the perfect bench on the first try, so try to keep it low cost and flexible until you decide on what you like. Lots of really great ideas here. Picture yourself working at the benches show here, and imagine whether you would like it or not. Good luck. Kevin Scott

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
most engravers use jewelers benches.

I have to disagree with this statement as I believe most engravers have some sort of home built solution But overall, I think a jewerly bench is a very poor choice as an engraving station. The configuration is all wrong and worst of all, jewelry benches in general are far to flimsy for engraving over the long haul, especially if a scope is used. They look really cool though.

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
" I think the cutout question comes down to whether or not you want your arm supported or not."
Kevin Scott

You're mistaken. A proper jewelers bench has arm supports, usually wood with round over edges, which one pulls out from the bench and when done they slide back into the bench top.
Kevin

Latest posts

Sponsors