Heart pendant with flare cutting

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thank you Arnaud. I can tell you that Abigail prefers this style 1000 times more than highly detailed fine point engraving with delicate shading. It took me awhile to wrap my brain around this because fine detail is my specialty, yet my wife prefers something that takes 1/10th the time to make, but sparkles and shines. :)

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I take a close look at it Sam, is it the same technique as in Lumenesque and then outline the cut ?
Just beautiful !!!
It´s about time to put it on your new DVD;)

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, Bruce,

This style does have 'pop', or sparkle, from a distance, and that is what jewelry often needs to have, sparkle from a distance, often the only thing some lay people see, however, in Sam's case and other master workers, when the observer, attracted by sparkle, moves closer, they get to have the double pleasure of seeing close up mastery of cutting. The double sided bright cuts of 'flare' do look great in the sunlight sparkle or in good indoor lighting, but they are difficult to photograph. Again, Sam's great photography catches it all without over exposure.

Rod

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You're right, Rod. Flare cutting is tough to photograph. These shots were done with my microscope camera and not under my usual softbox. While they're not studio quality shots, they capture the cutting better than my softbox might, which tends to render photos of this kind of engraving as too flat and without the character. Sometimes, as in this case, the casual under-the-scope shot can be the best place to shoot the photo.

Montejano

Elite Cafe Member
Friend Sam

A beautiful engraving with a beautiful style.
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

My sincere congratulations.
Regards and thanks for showing this work.

Antonio

Sponsors