Graver sharpening booklet?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The particular angles for a graver are simple to find / figure out, but for many gravers the procedure for creating it can be... interesting.

Simple square gravers are easy enough - grind the belly to form your angle, flip it over and grind the face. Maybe reduce the top to make the face smaller, then do the heels and you're done.

Turning a blank into a flat's not that hard - pretty much just thin it from the sides to the size you want and put on a face.

But as you get into more interesting shapes it gets trickier to know not just how the graver is finally formed but the sequence of operations you have to go to in order to end up with the final product.

A little booklet with simple line drawings showing how to form the graver and then a few pages of angle combinations would be a wonderful thing to keep around, I would think.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
As a few have already said, ALL this information is out there, and it really isn't that difficult once you have gathered this. Spend the time searching, or buy the books.

Sam's sharpening DVD is probably the best I've seen, simply because a picture speaks a thousand words.
Yes, it does mean you will need to make notes, but this is a given with anything you want to learn to master, beit an apprenticeship in plumbing, electrics or engraving.

All I have now is a tiny little post-it on my wall just reminding me of the 8 or 10 geometries used. And in fairness of those, I really only use two or three on a daily basis.

If you're a novice, don't get caught up in all the confusing geometries to start with (I know I did) just stick with a 90 deg graver and get practicing. That's what will make the difference to your learning curve.

Jo

Andrew Biggs

If you're a novice, don't get caught up in all the confusing geometries to start with (I know I did) just stick with a 90 deg graver and get practicing. That's what will make the difference to your learning curve.

Excellent advise :)

It is not the pointy bit that will make the difference to your engraving..........it is the amount of time you spend doing it!!!

Start simple and work your way upwards. A square graver and a flat in 3 different sizes and you are good to go.

Sharpen, cut, sharpen, cut, sharpen, cut, sharpen, cut....the more you do this, then the more you will understand what you are doing and why. Then you can move onto other graver shapes/angles if you want to.

Cheers
Andrew

LGB

Sam has most of the angles over in the IGRAVER TUTORIALS section. Why not just make your notes from that file for the angles.
My power hone is all arms. This was designed after I got James Meeks' book in the '70's to learn on my own. I am still trying to learn, but am running out of time. Ha ha Check this tool for a beginner and the diamond steel has 300 grit for rough honing and then turn over for the 800 grit to complete the sharpening. This holder is for 1/8 squares or 1/8 in. rounds.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Rodger I am with you. I tried to sharpen with Meek's book when I started and could not get it done. I also understand that when first learning how to use the duel angle sharpen fixture it can be a little difficult if you are not used to using angle's. I have sharened a few gravers to a nub trying to get my angles right for a particular shape point. It is what is called a learning curve. It is also hard when you first start to know what graver and what type graver point is required to do the job at hand.

There is a lot of info available on all of this here and on the web but if you are just starting you do not know what you are looking for or why it is supposed to be that way.

That is why I tell any serious beginner, spend a little money and take a beginers course. This will save you so much time and money in the long run. I have taken 2 GRS classes and they were cheap compared to the knowledge that I gained in a short period.

I am not a full time engraver yet so I still have to stop and think if I want a graver that is not a 90 or 120 as these do most everything that I want to do but I have the basic's so I have a good idea of how to go about figuring out the process to get what I want. I will have to confess that I have a few gravers that have been sharpened down to a nub before I figured out how to get what I wanted but I did get there.

My point is what good is a handbook if you don't understand why you need a specific graver with a specific point. I am not saying that a handbook on sharpening is not a good idea, because it is. I am just saying for the beginner it will take some time for it to make sence unless it gives a reason for the graver being used and the results you get when it is used. It would require good pictures starting with the blank all the way through to the cut that can be made. Then this hand book would be a good reference for the beginners and those with some experiance and a possible reference for the professional.

I think the guys that are full time have there own pet setups to get the cuts that they want so it would probably not be used by them.

It would also need to be broken up for sharpening for H&C, hand push, air assisted. When you think about it, it could be quite a task to assemble all this info.

All I can say is good luck and thanks to anyone brave enough to tackel the job.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam's sharpening DVD is the best I've seen, very clear to understand

Latest posts

Sponsors