Graver Lube

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
To be honest I think lube is all bullcrap, the small amount of contact of point & metal is negligible.
Otherwise spit works as well as spilt coffee.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
To be honest I think lube is all bullcrap, the small amount of contact of point & metal is negligible.
Otherwise spit works as well as spilt coffee.

With certain tasks like really hogging out background, a lubed graver struggles a lot less. As for the kind of lube, spilt coffee would probably work just fine.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
I found it helped when I was cutting aluminum alloy.

Similar to the process MTGRAVER uses, I cut a piece of an old sponge to fit inside one of those plastic 35mm film containers (they may be getting harder to find in the digital age we are now in?) Then drip a few drops of Rapid Tap onto the sponge. When needed, just touch the graver tip to the darkened spot on the sponge.:hammer:

When finished using it, just put the cover on, and it lasts quite a while before more lubricant needs to be added.

I like tap magic or Aluma cut on any metal for a bright cut and the aluma-cut stays put. I use the cotton balls but instead of a film container I use a spent .50 MG case cut off about a 1/3 rd way up from the base. its a little heavier and don't tip over as easy.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
One thing to keep in mind, engraving, power assisted or not is a machining process of metal. One of the things that is important to engravers and machinists is tool life. Lubricant will maximize the life of a cutting tip and reduce tip welding. Tip welding will cause heat build up in the cutting tool and ultimately contribute to tool failure. As engravers we are very rarely concerned by heat build up in our work piece or engraver. We need to be aware of it as we cut on increasingly harder metals. The application of a cutting fluid, be it water based, mineral oil/lard combination or whatever, will change the shear angle which reduces the shear path. Which once agin increases tool life. The longer the cutting edge last the less time is spent sharpening.

Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Problem solved !
I'll just build a holder to accommodate my spitoon. :eek:
It's a never ending supply!

Now starts the debate on straight cut vs. wintergreen snuff spit !

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
With certain tasks like really hogging out background, a lubed graver struggles a lot less..

That makes sense, drilling holes is another case of lube helps.
I don't however think it makes any difference otherwise.
It may well be one of those all in the mind theories that don't hurt but are unecessary.
I find it actually gets in the way of seeing the tool point.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
If you have ever looked at videos of a CNC operation of the cutting action of the lathe bit you will see a real difference that a lubed and non lubed bit makes in the cutting finish.......The shearing action is eased with lube but as the above post points out seeing the tool point can be a problem....

Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors