Graver Lube

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Spit- the engraver's miracle lube. I'll frequently lick my point when using a push graver (learned that trick from Hans Rohner) and ALWAYS do it when burnishing gold inlays to keep the gold from sticking to the tool.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, I never knew that about WD40!

I too thought WD-40 was a "lubricant" way back when, but found from experience, JUST what Brian described.

Yup, "WD" stands for water displacement, and I use it for cleaning but NOT lubrication.

Another use I DID find it works well, is as a starting fluid, for things like a lawnmower or snowblower that doesn't want to start! It burns VERY well:big grin:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
and one other thing you probably didn't want to know- i also spit on my ruby & diamond stones for sharpening (but use gesswein stoning oil on my power hone wheels).

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Would bright silver cutters like to comment on choice of graver steel?

Apart from lubrication, molecular adhesion between silver and graver steel appears to be a factor.

Carbide appears to have less "cling" to the silver and hence brighter cuts. Presently, my preferred carbide is the C Max available from GRS. I buy the 1/8 inch dia blanks for about $6.50 each ( the C Max ground to a square is more expensive). Keep the blank as a round and just grind the flat geometry on its end. For me, this carbide gives a very bright result, and other tool steels seem to give a cloudy surface to the bright cuts.

What say you?

Rod

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, I do not get to see alot of bright cutters out there, but most of the ones I have seen do not spend anywhere near enough effort polishing the graver while they are cutting a job. The brightest cuts I have seen were done years ago by Olsen's and they used HSS. Having a polishing compound that will work for you is a huge factor but only if you take the time to use it.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am a freak about using diamond spray on the lap and constantly strop on a piece of latigo leather coated with diamond spray while I work. I like the c-max also. Most of these people one here have 50 times the experience that I do, but this seems to be working for me.

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
I have not been at very long but have found best results with HSS and as Eastslope says, keep em shiny!

I have not found silver to be a problem sticking to my gravers, has anyone else?

Ty

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
The jeweler that I learned stone setting from years ago taught me to use saliva on my gravers and on beading tools when setting stones. Now that I am doing more engraving I mainly use Rio Grande's liquid bur lube, but still use saliva on beading tools.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
to the end Lynton McKenzie believed that out gassing of the lubes kill him. Said breathing the gases caused all his heath problems lung wise, Fred

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Fred, I really didn't need that Information this early in the morning, or any other time, really.
Now, I'm going to be paranoid about using commercial lubes !
As much snuff as I dip, :eek: even my spit is probably toxic.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've heard really bad health related things about oil of wintergreen (from Brian Marshall I think) which is/was a common graver lube for hand engravers.

I use common household oil and haven't found any particular oil that has a wow factor for engraving, but Tap Magic might help to produce brighter cuts in precious metals.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
The main ingredient in WD40 is fish oil.....which as Brian says is not a lube for bearing races, but this product has a zillion other uses.....

I see people, at one time, used gas for cleaning metal. Alcohol as an admix to gas now days will gum up any thing it touches in long term storage....like carburetors....

Bob

Last edited:

truehand

@lonestarr, that's an old myth about fish oil in WD40. WD40 is mainly Varsol (mineral spirits)

I cut a LOT of aluminum (aluminium for you UK folks) and find that lube is absolutely necessary. I soak a piece of leather in Tap Magic and touch my graver to it just about every cut.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
@lonestarr, that's an old myth about fish oil in WD40. WD40 is mainly Varsol (mineral spirits)

I cut a LOT of aluminum (aluminium for you UK folks) and find that lube is absolutely necessary. I soak a piece of leather in Tap Magic and touch my graver to it just about every cut.

This was the "light bulb" moment for me thanks the leather is better than a cotton ball as it doesn't form a droplet on the graver!

Sponsors