graver helper

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Shawn before you get too ansy and buy something just drive up a couple hours and try them out here. It will give you a lot more info trying them out before you spend the $$$. I even have a Gravermax that I may part with.
Rod

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Shawn before you get too ansy and buy something just drive up a couple hours and try them out here. It will give you a lot more info trying them out before you spend the $$$. I even have a Gravermax that I may part with.
Rod

I was thinking about your earlier offer just today. I'll be contacting you pretty soon about this. :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
crunch the numbers--i bought a gravermeister 35 years ago or so. then new it was $425 bucks.given the number of days i've had it what's it cost me to own this great tool. and---- it still runs like new. in all that time i've only had to replace the drive belt a couple times.

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
I'm totally committed to getting some good equipment - but I don't need bells and whistles. I don't mind taking a minute to change tips or whatever. When I say I'm antsy about getting this - that should read as I'M REALLY REALLY EXCITED LIKE A LITTLE KID AT CHRISTMAS! :D

leo

Elite Cafe Member
I would take up that offer of Mr. Rodsta and try them both before you makeup your mind on what to buy no matter what we tell you the priority here is for you to fill good with the tool and know that you would execute what you want

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you can, try both the GRS and Lindsay systems before you buy as you'll find it very helpful. Remember though that its not the tool that makes good or bad engraving. Fantastic engraving is still being done by burin and h&c and my father is still producing wonderful stuff with his Mk1 GraverMax. Phil Grifnee produced fantastic stuff using h&c, whilst Phil Cogan does superb work with a Lindsay PC and Sam with a GraverMach AT.

Do you get my drift? The tools you choose are what suit you as an individual. Each system is more than capable of producing top of the range work and each has it's pros and cons which have been gone over many times in the past.

Having owned and used both systems if I have now moved over to Lindsay simply because the Palm Control suits my style of working better but that's not to say AirTact isn't any good, it is, but the hoses drove me to distraction with constant tangles. Others, however, don't seem to experience this problem so, as I say, it's a very personal choice as to what suits the individual.

For a period I was running my GraverMach and Lindsay PC in tandem; the PC for scroll, etc and GraverMach for hammering and stippling. But as the Mach was using so much air when stippling, in the end the compressor couldn't keep up so I ended up getting a foot controlled Lindsay Classic and removing the Mach from the system. I must say, this setup if you can afford it is excellent but its not cheap.

So if you're looking at a "one time buy" my advice is to look at and/or try both before you commit. Hand control might not be for you so don't waste your money; there are plenty who happily use a foot pedal. But my personal choice is palm control because it puts you in direct contact with the work and the graver becomes an extension of your hand. If you think this might be for you then the Palm Control "Classic" might be worth putting on your short list.

Finally, remember there's the new kid on the block "EnSet". I'm still considering getting one of these because the low stroke speed is perfect for carving and modelling metal.

I wish you luck with your search, but if you want a one time purchase do your research and don't buy any knock off tools.

Last edited:

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
I've been thinking --- and I'm sure you'll all say NO you can't do that, at least I think you will...
I've got an air compressor in my shop - could I hook up a regulator, foot pedal, and then a hand piece to that?
if not - why not?

Thanks!

mrthe

If you buy a Lindsay system, yes is what you need, but if you buy a GRS system or sn En-Set you need the bench unit too because if you only buy the handpiece will not work.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As Mister says, yes that's what you need and is the beauty of the Lindsay system. Unless you are strapped for space though or are moving around a lot don't let having a bench unit put you off the other systems if that is what you'd prefer.

Each system has advantages and disadvantages over the other. For example, if you feel being able to set the stroke speed is important to you (as you can with GRS) don't get a Lindsay. There are times when using punches to model and carve steel that I wish the Lindsay had this feature. In order to hit harder the Lindsay also has to run faster which isn't always what you want so there's a trade off. But then again, under normal engraving situations, it cuts like a dream as the PC is so intuitive.

Anyway, that's one of the reasons most of us will advise to try the different systems (if you can) before committing to a not inconsiderable outlay financially. It will pay dividends to find the one you're happiest with and don't get swept along with the crowd just because they're using Lindsay or GRS or EnSet and just because one system or other seems cool or appears to be the "in thing". These are tools, pure and simple and are just a means to an end.

Last edited:

leo

Elite Cafe Member
that's perfect that means half your problem is solve just remember that you want air as dry a it could get because the systems available right now are allergic to water and oil

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use an Enset and like it, as Marcus stated , I agree that if you have the chance to test drive before you buy. I have used 3 of the commercially available systems and the one I have is the one I like the best.Best of luck finding what you are looking for.

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
It was only a couple weeks ago that Newton asked about what gravers to consider.
Now he's beeing "guided" into $1000-$2000 worth of tooling,just to start.

What happened to all those who recently posted regarding, Newbies, SLOW DOWN, learn the basics?
Hes working on PLASTIC .
Try and cut an bic lighter,or some other item.
What could be gained by using power?
Why has no one mentioned hammer & chisel,Meeks book,or Shippers ?

Seems like flip flopping .
michael

mrthe

Michael personally i had answered at this thread about the question of this thread , if is good or not buy " the graver helper" China machine like a first equipment and others people too i think had make the same, the question was not about wich tools a better to buy for start or to try heare, but just an opinion about a power assisted machine " the graver helper"

Andrew Biggs

Hi Michael

There is no flip flopping on any of this.

Newton is not being guided to anything that he hasn't asked for. Go back to the beginning of the thread and you will see that it was Newton that that has initiated all of this. It's his prerogative to go any way he chooses or spend his money how he pleases.

If he wishes to purchase air assist then that is entirely up to him as there is no particular advantages in learning hammer and chisel or push graving, or even hand sharpening.

I believe that you have mentioned hammer/chisel, Meeks and Shippers........many times. Which is great and the way it should be. Many of us have moved into pneumatic/air tools.......which is also great. There's no right or wrong way to do any of this.

People have been advised in both areas throughout the forums history and received very good advise on all aspects of hand engraving.............But at the end of the day it is up to the individual to decide which way they want to swing.

Cheers
Andrew

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
Oh forget about H&C. :) I don't mean any disrespect, but I have no interest in trying that route on pens. I'm going to wait to get my gravers back from the wonderful guy who offered to sharpen them for me and see how hand push goes. If it's like a hot knife through butter I may stop there - and just invest in the GRS multi angle sharpening thingy with the post and a few stones. If I feel that power will be a huge benefit, especially after this drive north in a couple of weeks, then I'll go that way. I've just learned that I can use my air compressor and hook up foot control and regulators without buying a fancy bench top machine if I go one brand rather than the other - and that's exciting to me b/c it means a little less expense up front.

You all may think I'm nuts, but I don't think I'll be investing in a spinning vice either. Holding the workpiece in my left hand and cutting with the right seems like the natural way for me to do this. Since I'll be working all sides of the pen all the time, I think clamping the pen would turn out to be a bigger pain than an aid.

i can't wait to get my gravers back. :)

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not on THAT tight of a budget - I'm still saving up. I've got around $730 right now. But like I said, and I just told my wife (and she was very happy to hear me say this) if cutting by hand is easier with properly sharpened tools, then I may pass on power assist all together and just invest in a good sharpening system. :) And of course a couple of good handles rather than a piece of broomstick. :)

Latest posts

Sponsors