graver helper

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This would be a good starter kit for the money. best thing is after you have decided to continue or not it will sell again for close to the same $$$$.
I am referring to the gravermax.:thumbsup:

mrthe

Try to avoid cheap china copyes of the GRS tools , is better try to buy one used than a new like this.

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
This would be a good starter kit for the money. best thing is after you have decided to continue or not it will sell again for close to the same $$$$.
I am referring to the gravermax.:thumbsup:

If it WERE a gravermax I'd agree completely. Sadly, it's a Graver Helper (Chinese copy) and one can only guess at it's quality or availability of parts and/or repairs. Add to that the unknown customs fees and it is less of a bargain than it appears. Resale would be iffy as well since it is only a copy...
My opinion only, but I did look into this one prior to my purchasing the Foredom Power Graver.

Andrew Biggs

Don't go anywhere near it. You may as well take the money and burn it. It's a GRS knock off and I've tried them.........they are junk.

If you are looking for second hand (pre-loved) then check out the buy/sell of this forum. Some pretty good deals come up.

Cheers
Andrew

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did not catch that, sorry!!! in that case I am with the other guys!!!! But you can find used GRS Tools for sale that are reasonable for a starter kit ,Keep lookin!!!!!

Andrew Biggs

It's easily done, Silverchip. At a quick glance these things are easily mistaken for the real deal.........and it's getting worse all the time.

It's a real trap for those that don't know any better. After all they look alike, so they should perform alike and the price is certainly cheap. It's not till you plug them in and start using them that you notice the difference in performance.

Cheers
Andrew

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Besides the En-Seth I have a GRS Graversmith. That one is just the same as a gravermax, gravermach or whatever more expensive GRS equipment.
The Graversmith is not that much mentioned as one asks for a limited budget machine, I don't know why. Probably because most engravers think: " the better (expensive), the better it wil do the job"
Here is a link, perhaps you find a second hand one of the Graversmith

arnaud

Andrew Biggs

You are correct, Arnaud..................the GraverSmith is a fabulous machine. It has all the power and performance of the higher end models. It just has less built in accessories.

Cheers
Andrew

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
Cool - the GraverSmith. I'll get that then. :) Thanks!
Lots of really good advice and I appreciate every bit of it.

What about the little pneumatic engraver pen thing?
Anybody use those for anything in particular?

leo

Elite Cafe Member
ok you don't want to spend a hall lot of money you would have to go with Lindsay system why because every system you look at you would have to get an air source to run it by the time you would have it all set up and running you would have spent minimum 1200 dollar with out a vise buy the artisan and the foot control idle adjust without regulator and buy a separate regulator from harbor freight with a water and oil separator you would be spending about 900 for everything with delivery or if you want look in the buy and sell they have a classic with everything you need even sharpening fixture and stone for 1200 ask if hi still has it and how much it would for shipping to you

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
For what you are engraving, save your money for an VISE, Vise ,Vise,.
Your push gravers seem to be working fine on the pens.
Learn to sharpen correctly!!!!!
Learn to draw,draw,draw!!!!!!.

I believe the pneumatic will be OVERKILL,especially on plastic pens.

michael

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Michael: I kind of agree...sorta...but on a tight radius like a pen a pneumatic handpiece is easier to control than hand-pushing. At least for me it is.

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks.
what handpiece do you all think I'd benefit the most from? What about palm touch? I've seen lindsay and GRS palm control things. Pros and cons of either?

Andrew Biggs

The difference between palm and foot control is........ six of one and a half dozen of the other.

Some people prefer the palm/airtact element and others prefer foot control. There is no right or wrong of it as it just comes to personal preference and what you feel comfortable working with.

You will find that going from a push graver to an air tool will feel different in the beginning. It takes a while to get used to. Relaxing and resisting the urge to push will feel strange to begin with but you will find that you do develop better control quicker with the air tools. The key is to relax and let the tool do the cutting whilst you learn to control it.

And yes......learning to sharpen the graver properly is essential. Without that you are a bit dead in the water. There are a lot of mechanical aids out there that will help you do this very quickly and consistently. They will help you over that hump in a matter of minutes.

Hey, it's only money and you have to spend it on something. It all just depends on how far you want to take it and how keen you are. The money side is irrelevant and just a matter of how you prioritise your spending.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not worried about spending the money - I'm just getting antsy while I'm saving. :D
I want to buy once and be done with it. I know I'll need a sharpening system, but with just cutting plastics I think I can hold off on that for a little while.

Latest posts

Sponsors