Graver Geometry for fine english scroll

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
The onglette is a Super tool I learned engrave with it in Antwerp still use it daily for; recutting borders, chiseling work and lettering. The onglette is sharpened ore for right handed ore for left hand the side cuts here an example of mine onglette i'm left-handed;

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
I have an sharpening fixture ,looks just like yours,except the thumb is on the other side.

I see no heel?

Pepole,ANY shape graver can have an cutting tip with angles you wish.
An onglette can be sharpened like an 90deg,flat,round,etc.....

I think most of the negativity with gravers other than the 3/32" ,is that they dont work to well with fixtures,other than the type Bram uses.
His fixture is available to most for free.
Just need to learn how to use it.
God Bless,
michael.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I agree that the onglette is not "fixture friendly" because of its curved sides. Sharpening the face works though. It's also the first graver (chisel) I learned to sharpen and engrave with, and I have a boxful of them. I don't use them much though. I do 90% of my work with a 120° graver and the rest with a square or 105°. I'm also not saying everyone else should do this. Whatever works is what you should use.

The onglette has characteristics to its cut that the straight sided gravers do not have. In looking at the English scroll, I wonder if it's the best choice for the deep pop-out cut that separates each element.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,Your right the onglette is not fixture friendly best sharpend by hand I use the onglette when engraving birds and animals.The onglette when sharpen correctly it is a wonderful engraving tool as a bruin,Im still a big fan of the onglette. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors