Genovese Dagger

jfava

Oops, sorry. I forgot to mention that I am using a mac with os10 snow leopard...

Thanks for the help though :tiphat:

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
It only took you 5 days:shock: I knew I was slow but now I know I am like retarded slow. I had 111 hrs in the Genovese dagger that I did the liberty scroll work on.

One thing I do when laying out designs for daggers. Is to mark my center line and stay true to that. When I need to fudge my design to make it fit, I try and do it in the areas that are away from center. The closer the variations are to the center the more they show. You may already know that, but thought I would mention it, in case you did not. Slow down, you are making the rest of us look bad. joking. Brian

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jason, Shift/Command/3 all at once to capture the image on your screen. It will appear on your desktop as 'picture 1' or picture 2 depending on number of images.
That should do it.
Kevin P.

jfava

lol... Brian... dude you crack me up. I'm sure your liberty scroll knife would have taken me 111hrs too if I cut 400 gazillion parallel lines perfectly in the background... your work is incredible man! and the hours you put in show. I can see alot of things that I feel would have come out a bit better if I had more time to spend.

This one I spent:
1st full day laying out and cutting all the outlines
1.5 days inlaying wire
1 day background removal and re-outlining
1.5 days shading + a few hours polishing painting and finishing.

... so maybe a bit more then 5 days, but I was pretty close

I very much appreciate your advice and note was definitely taken. Thank you. :tiphat:

Kevin:
Thanks man I'll give it a try.

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Jason, When You Do The Undercut for the Sides, Do You use a Knive Graver?, or Punch the Sides in with a Flat./ Raising a Slight Up heaval of Metal on the Sides.

I'm Trying a Coffin Dagger at Present, Only the Test Piece, to see If I Can Do It Right,!!
This Will Be My First Full Fledge Inlay.

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Jason,
Stunning work! Really beautiful layout and equally beautiful execution. I found it interesting how you made use of several "S" shapes in the scroll's structure in order to keep the symmetry and balance. I would have a hard time doing that without breaking the flow and confusing the whole layout, but you managed it handily. Thanks for sharing this beauty.
Best,

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jason, I say B...S.........

That is as professional as it gets, don't let anyone tell you different, and ain't working in colors wonderful and exciting?

Outstanding!!

Ron S

jfava

Thank you all for the kind comments :tiphat:

Chris,

Usually for gun work I punch the under cuts. For Knives working around the handle inlays I undercut with a graver to avoid having to stone near the pearl. Although some spots are soo small that the only way I can fit anything in there to under cut is to use a micro punch.

Ron,
Thank you. Your first scroll book is where I learned how to create flow... It was huge for my foundation. Colors are wonderful, and a lot of work.
:thumbs up:

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Jason Thanks A LOT!!:banana:

I Did Just That on my Trail Practice Piece.!! Using Copper for Inlay, What A Pain. Gold is TOO Expensive to Practice With.:beat up:

Sponsors